South American clubs don't have chance to sign Europeans ?

I remember reading somewhere that they do have a setting to prevent Europeans signing in South America, it sounds kind of ridiculous so it could well have just been a rumour.

Nope, it is true. I made South American clubs absolutely massive (League Reputation 20, Club Reputations of 10000, fantastic finances, sugar daddies, cities with 20 attractiveness) and destroyed the big European clubs and leagues, but whilst it was fairly easy to attract Ronaldinho and Messi back to South America, no Europeans or Africans would even consider coming.

That was several FMs ago though. Maybe it has been changed this year with the introduction of DLR.

Sloppy Giuseppe: not many, but there are some. One of the longest serving players in Brazil is Croatian iirc, and I'm sure players from AFC Wimbledon would rather play in Argentina on £80,000p/w than Wimbledon on £80p/w.

What a stupid setting to have in the game. It is not like you can flood the league with them due to the player restrictions in Argentina and Brazil. I found I could attract quite a few African newgens to my Racing Club side in Argentina but players in league two and league one that were English won't even discuss a contract. This restriction really needs removing from the game in my opinion.

Nah it makes sense, why would they move all the way over there, away from family and friends, and so forth. Perhaps it's too rigid a restriction but it makes sense being in place for most players.

I know some players move to even be in the US leagues but that's a generally richer country.

Nah it makes sense, why would they move all the way over there, away from family and friends, and so forth. Perhaps it's too rigid a restriction but it makes sense being in place for most players..

Why would Messi move all the way to Spain...

I doubt that the restriction is still there (thats if it did exists which it would appear to have at one stage) on account of the DLR thats now in the game.

• SI Staff
Nope, it is true. I made South American clubs absolutely massive (League Reputation 20, Club Reputations of 10000, fantastic finances, sugar daddies, cities with 20 attractiveness) and destroyed the big European clubs and leagues, but whilst it was fairly easy to attract Ronaldinho and Messi back to South America, no Europeans or Africans would even consider coming.

That was several FMs ago though. Maybe it has been changed this year with the introduction of DLR.

Sloppy Giuseppe: not many, but there are some. One of the longest serving players in Brazil is Croatian iirc, and I'm sure players from AFC Wimbledon would rather play in Argentina on £80,000p/w than Wimbledon on £80p/w.

Did you try changing any of the nations transfer preference settings? It might be set to a very low value to make transfers from certain countries very rare

Why would Messi move all the way to Spain...

Because Barcelona were willing to pay the huge medical blills required because of his growth problems, Boca were not.

The difference is, and this not ment in any disrespect, but south american is not classed as being as developed as europe, the players most likely to want to move there are those native. There will always be exceptions, but if you look through history the number in real life who have moved there compared to the number going to opposite way will tie in quite well with FM.

In my game managing a South American club, it is absolutely impossible to attract European players. My club has won everything, wins the world club championship regularly but players from big European nations will not even consider coming, even though the league I play in now has a higher reputation than theirs. I can sign players from Africa and some from smaller nations from Eastern Europe.

I think people generally move to places where they have some sort of affinity or close connection. English/German/French/Italian players would struggle to adapt in Brazil or Argentina I suppose.

Well, why do you think so.. there are brazilians and argentinians of german, italian or even czech ancestry. Argentina is very european (civilized, at least in BA) country, not much different from many european countries..

It makes sense though...

It's a matter of visibility and of opportunities.

European football is the promised land for most players, so there isn't a valid reason for someone who has made it there to move to a "self-contained" smaller universe like the South American scene.

Even playing for a smaller club in a smaller European nation is seen as a "first step", then it might be a smaller club in a big nation, and so on...

A move to a South American club would basically mean disappearing from the global football scene altogether, and it's not even one of those "golden retirement" places where you get paid a lot to play in a poor league.

South American football is mean business, probably too mean to attract golddiggers or semi-retired players. Unless, of course, the latters are local heroes coming home for the final chapter of their career.

its realistic to me, as no europeans move to south america irl

mostly for footballing reason but also for finances and standard of living, it will always be this way boca irl could win 20 copa libertodra the explorers back to back bet it wouldent change a thing

Did you try changing any of the nations transfer preference settings? It might be set to a very low value to make transfers from certain countries very rare

I haven't heard of them, are they customisable by the general public? Do they have a different name in the editor? I'm just going to load up that db and try and find out what I did change, though I might have deleted it when PMLF and I concluded there was something hard coded. Fairly sure I changed "state of development".

Okay, I have deleted the database, but from memory I changed:

League Standard

Economic Factor

State of Development

Game Importance

I did not change "regional strength" of the continents.

Thread here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/84297-AI-Experiment-A-Shift-in-the-Balance-of-the-Footballing-See-Saw - as you can see, it was using FM07, so things might have changed.

Well it's not even the case of attracting top European players, what about attracting top players from the south American country you are playing in Brazil being the example of attracting the big stars to head back to Brazil because they now have the money to afford paying their wages. Luis Fabiano, who would have thought he would head home so soon when he was Brazil's number 9 at the world cup, and it will continue to happen like this because of the economic boom in Brazil.

Anyone who has been to the likes of Argentina, Chile, Brazil, Uruguay would also know the standard of living would not much differ its just the leagues apart from Brazil are very poor at the moment, Brazil has the money to attract players but the fact is they have a lot more talented players around the country who they can get for much cheaper.

The production of young players coming through in brazil is second to none, look at sao paulo's youth academy.

Top players just move back when they're past their prime, or close to being so. Or when they've failed in Europe.

A 20-something Brazilian player with his career going well has no reason to move back to Brazil or Argentina

Archived