More ram to pc?

I have intel i5 760 processor, radeon HD 6850 OC, 4gb ddr3 1333MHz and using windows 7 64bit. How much would it make FM11 faster if i buy another 4gb more ram making it total 8gb? Can fm11 use more memory than 32bits software allows 3,3gb?

AFAIK it would be pointless as its a 32bit application. So wether you have 4 or 24 it wouldnt make a difference. The only way it would make a difference is if you multitask a lot. So the full 4gig could be used for FM and the other 4gig for other programs. I could be wrong though.

It will only help if you multi-task a lot and you somehow use more than 4 GB of RAM as a result, so I wouldn't really expect it to change much (except burning a small hole in your wallet). Not that it's that slow a PC anyway...

If i look now to the side gadget from 4bg there's only 2,2gb free and i only have open programs like (chrome, messenger, irssi, mse, steam). So in thery there is only 2,2bg for games left. If i'm not totaly wrong windows 7 uses more memory just because there is memory to use.

If i look now to the side gadget from 4bg there's only 2,2gb free and i only have open programs like (chrome, messenger, irssi, mse, steam). So in thery there is only 2,2bg for games left. If i'm not totaly wrong windows 7 uses more memory just because there is memory to use.

Those programs combined shouldn't blow 2.2 GB of RAM (if it does, I would be worried)...

Windows 7 does have a caching feature, introduced in Windows Vista, where it consumes more memory if it can, to cache certain features, to make the computer faster. It was implemented quite badly in Vista - in some situations, Vista's RAM usage went through the roof and scared some users. But the point is, the cache can be reduced at any time, and Windows 7 takes care of that.

Useful link: http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/windows-7-4gb-vs-8gb-performance/

Basically, an idle Windows 7 with a few applications consuming 1.8 GB of RAM smells of caching, so I wouldn't really be worried. If you start to approach 3 GB of RAM usage (ignoring caching), Windows 7 will throttle-back a little.

Therefore the real question to ask is whether you run around 3 GB worth of programs in memory. You can check right now to see how much RAM your Football Manager game uses, and gauge from there (Task Manager > Processes > View > Select Columns > VM Size > Look at VM Size for fm.exe). But I wouldn't really hold my breath - 4 GB is good for one single game (even if resource-intensive like Football Manager), plus the odd few other tasks and Windows 7. 6 GB is nice, 8 GB overkill.

Archived