Post-Match Team talks

Is there any advantage to post match team talks?

For example if I draw or lose to a team that I should beat and I say to my team "That was not good enough" or "That was embarrassing" at the end of the game, particularly the latter does it have any long term advantages?

Does it change such things as a player's hidden attribute of consistency or pressure etc. or is it just for personal venting and shouting at your players?

Yes!! It's all about morale.

Gotta try and keep the morale as high as you can.

There's no point slamming players who are already very low in morale.

I tend to do the team talks individually with each player to suit the circumstances.

Some benefit from praise/criticism better than others.

It's also the key to fighting complacency. You don't want your players thinking they're invincible supermen just because they knocked over a bunch of lower league losers.

That's what I mean, if I "warn against complacency" does it affect them for the next game? If so, how?

I think (and not that it's pure speculation there) that morale levels are not limited to visible 'superb'. When player morale is superb for a while (for several games his team has won) and while constantly praised by his manager, player may get complacent. It depends on player hidden attributes (perhaps professionalism), but you should be able to detect which ones of your team are more likely to become complacent by your team motivation screen during matches or assman feedback before matches.

To avoid complacency, it may appear that 'very good' morale or even 'good' is better morale level than superb. E.g. I have some players who get downhearted easily after criticism. But I know that in case his morale is 'okay' or 'good' I can always say 'have faith' to him prior the match with even opponent and he gets motivated. It's easier to handle his motivation when it's not superb, if you know what I mean.

Also, you have to consider background. If you're fighting in relegation zone and losing games, you should praise even for draws to keep morale up. In case you're dominating and winning games in a row, then it's fair to be 'disappointing' after draw so that your players know that they're always expected to win.

That's what I mean, if I "warn against complacency" does it affect them for the next game? If so, how?

I think of "warn against complacency" as a mild negative comment.

As Draakon says, there's a hidden morale above "superb" - "complacent" - which is terrible. So, don't get carried away with praise.

On the other hand, if a player has just scored a hat trick, he's expecting you to say something nice.

So: good performance or poor morale: say nice things. Poor performance or excellent morale: say nasty things. Average performance or average morale: ????

But don't over do it. And some players are weird. And it depends on your opponents.

(all the above IMO: but it seems to work for me.)

Right I understand what you mean now, thinking of that actually, it sometimes says in my assistant manager feedback before games, player X looked over-confident in the warm-up or player Y thinks that the recent good form is enough to win the game alone.

Think too much praise at a higher level can be a bad thing. Thanks for the replies guys. If anyone else has their 2 cents worth, feel free :)

lewis, if assman feedback says that player with superb morale looked over-confident, it means instant 'expect performance' team talk for me. And don't forget to remind it after the game. Don't say 'well done' to him unless he really played well (above 7.5). In case he played average game, just tell him nothing.

Archived