Contracts/Squad statuses

Currently offering a contract to an unattached player.

He wanted £200 with a squad status as a "youngster".

I decided he was more of a "hot prospect", but now he thinks the £200pw is not enough - and would prefer £750pw instead.

My question is this:

Does the squad status given affect his development at all? Is a "hot prospect" likely to work harder or play better than just a "youngster"?

Obviously I would have preffered to be paying him the £200pw, but would happily stump up the £750pw to see him develop much better.

However, I have never really seen this to be the case.

Next time I will keep his squad status as he wishes!! Perhaps changing the status after a few months would be the wise option.

Currently offering a contract to an unattached player.

He wanted £200 with a squad status as a "youngster".

I decided he was more of a "hot prospect", but now he thinks the £200pw is not enough - and would prefer £750pw instead.

My question is this:

Does the squad status given affect his development at all? Is a "hot prospect" likely to work harder or play better than just a "youngster"?

Obviously I would have preffered to be paying him the £200pw, but would happily stump up the £750pw to see him develop much better.

However, I have never really seen this to be the case.

Next time I will keep his squad status as he wishes!! Perhaps changing the status after a few months would be the wise option.

Yeah your last thought...get him at cheaper rate then change status straight after. If he is promising he'll want a raise very soon anyway so probably doesn't matter to much.

What you did there was boost his ego - get him thinking he's more important than he really is. As ac13 suggests, you should just increase it after he's your chap. Mind you, as a lower league club packed with teenagers, I regularly use 16 year old hot prospects in my first team without increasing their status and they're quite happy. I just make sure I never put pressure on them with high expectations.

Archived