Reputation Factor in International Callups

Has anyone else noticed this? Players are picked internationally based on their reputation, rather than ability, even when it makes no sense. I'm roughly the #5 or #6 team in England, while Man City are (as to be expected) #1 or #2.

I have one regen who I've developed for years until he's become this Gerrard-esque figure. He's my vice captain, and I built my team around him. Admittedly, we've never had big success. He has a few runners up medals from domestic cups, and we've largely been a top half Premier League side. Fair play, his reputation maybe hasn't grown.

I signed another lad from Man City a little over a year ago to provide competition. Obviously, when you are a talented youngster at a top side, then there is a lot of excitement about you. But he's never reached what was expected. Imagine my surprise when he picked up his first caps last season.

WillGlassProfile_Attributes-2.png

Playing History

KeithJonesProfile_Attributes.png

Playing History

I just find it frustrating that Jones got called up into the latest squad, and Glass once again missed out. Would anyone here seriously pick Jones over Glass?

I also noticed that. I have a lot of Norwegian, Finnish, Danish and Swedish players in my reserve and when they got promoted to the 2nd Division, these players all suddenly made their debuts in the national team (quite regardless of age. They were aged from 18-28).

They do which is fairly realistic when you think of RL.

Your example isn't exactly the best either, there really isn't that much between those two players until you have a close look at the attributes. Worth noting is that Jones can play down the left as well as being more two footed than Glass.

I've seen this too.

In a recent save I had 2 Portuguese CM and the one that was best, but younger (22y), was never called and the older (28y), was not only called, but even one of the 1st choices of the coach. The young guy played more games than the older with much better performances, so it was really, really strange. The only explanation was that the callup was based on reputation rather then on actual capacity.

The thing i think to remember is a player playing a higher rep club will get preferential treatment as its deemed he is playing a higher level of football, i would imagine Man City have regular champs league football but you might not. I do agree to an extent tho it can be frustrating at times seeing a player you dont think is that good getting ahead of your players, but this is most definitely the case in real life and it also bugs the hell out of me in reality.

Back in FM08 I created a squad of me and my housemates. None of us really got picked for England until the team got promoted to the EPL. I even had the accurate second nationalities where applicable (one German, one Greek), but no selection there, either.

I think CA/PA has something to do with it.

I made a player once in the editor with 200 CA and literally no reputation. What was interesting was that once I started a new game, not only was he already in the england squad, there were like 20 clubs after him inlcuding the like of real madrid and manchester united etc. (he was a free agent).

Archived