Defending corners - do you put men at both posts?

Having someone standing at the post when defending at corners is considered part of the ABC of football here in Norway.

But lots of teams qre moving away from this today, especially down the continent it seems. My question to you is how do you handle it, and why? What's best in your opinion: more players marking opposition players in the area, or hsving those two guys making the goal smaller and catching the odd shot?

Yeah, put my short players on the posts.

Don't really know why teams irl are moving away from it as it does cut down on some of the net space. But as far as how the ME works I see no reason not to put them on the posts.

I usually only have my fastest strike as the only player that doesn't come back for defensive corners which the AI covers with 2 players. So I don't have to worry about not having enough players to mark the opposition.

In previous releases of the game I didn't put anyone on the posts as from watching games you could see they had no effect in stopping goals. However in FM2011 I have reverted back to putting players on both posts (usually smaller players) and they have been successful with completing a number of goalline clearances. Since the new patch I've also changed my defenders from man marking to simply 'back' which seems to have had a positive effect. Not sure if this is down to the marking capabilities of my defenders or due to a change in the ME though.

I remove them on FM completely. Too many times a header has gone right towards them - right through them. Never seen once saved off the line. Changed them to man marking, and have conceded far less.

actually i've seen them save lots of goals in my games. I usually take my corners at the first post, so many times i'm the opponent defender that stays at near post saves the goal.

actually i've seen them save lots of goals in my games. I usually take my corners at the first post, so many times i'm the opponent defender that stays at near post saves the goal.

To be fair, in the past the post markers never did anything and just stood there... but either in 11.2 or 11.3 they made changes and now they make lots of saves.

Yes - it's always good practice since the goalkeeper isn't that flexible, and because you don't really need 10 outfield players jostling for position in the box. Having players on the post simply makes the goal smaller, which is always a good thing.

Archived