Long contracts

There's really no point offering more than a 2yr deal, I am finding that every single time a club enquires or bids (or sometimes if the player becomes an international) I have the agent asking for a new contract and when I say no the player gets unhappy.

One of my players re-signed in the summer, then a month later someone bids and he wants a new contract. It's very frequent.

I'm in my 10th season at Bristol City and whenever someone demands a new contract I just say no and they will either apologize for being out of line or I will warn them that i'm considering putting them on the transfer list over their behavior and they will then apologize.

I'm in my 10th season at Bristol City and whenever someone demands a new contract I just say no and they will either apologize for being out of line or I will warn them that i'm considering putting them on the transfer list over their behavior and they will then apologize.

Ha. I don't get that. I just get unhappiness :(

High reputation doesnt guarantee that he won't be upset. I think you might be reading a bit much out of one (or a select few) examples.

its not just one player every single player who asks for a new contract doesnt get upset for it being turned down.

when you have built up a reputation when you tell a player they arent getting a new contract they accept that they may have been out of line and doesnt get unhappy

I'm managing Arsenal and France after several successful seasons at Celtic and a brief stint at Marseille where I went in and saved their season before being approached by Arsenal. Have also got Scotland into the 2nd knockout stage of the European championshiip and improved their ranking by several places. My rep is Continental and I just had to sell a 20 year old regen who's rep is national after he threw a hissy fit over not being given a new deal after I refused an offer for him, so while it's more often than not the case that this can be effective it's by no means guaranteed that having built up a reputation as a manager that it will always be effective.

when you have built up a reputation when you tell a player they arent getting a new contract they accept that they may have been out of line and doesnt get unhappy

That works a lot of the time, reputation or not. I've done it in my first season, tell a player they are out of line or unprofessional and more times then not they back down.

But I'm betting its just another instance of interactions being random.

Have to agree with the OP, it gets annoying that as soon as one of your players begins to play well and gets some attention the agents spam you about wanting a new contract after already giving a new one recently. With player/agent fees on top it's a bit over the top sometimes.

Needs to be much checks to see how long ago the last contract was signed and if a large signing fee was used, also take into account their personality (i.e. loyalty).

Archived