Advantages of calling the ref?

Hi all, I have critized the refs desision multiple times throughout my games, but always been warned and been fined even though they seem like clear bad desisions - one offside was very clearly onside. I just want to know - do you always get warned and are you always wrong? Seems daft having this in a game if thats so.

Hi all, I have critized the refs desision multiple times throughout my games, but always been warned and been fined even though they seem like clear bad desisions - one offside was very clearly onside. I just want to know - do you always get warned and are you always wrong? Seems daft having this in a game if thats so.

I know in the older versions, particularly FM08 I think it was, you got a "FA silent over *manager name*'s criticism", which was the game's way of telling you it was indeed an incorrect decision. Although that usually just added to my sense of injustice!

I don't know if that changed once they tied it up with the introduction of press conferences, which I say that because I grew tired and left them to my assistant long before I was really able to see if that still happens. I'd be surprised if it had been removed from the game, though.

I know in the older versions, particularly FM08 I think it was, you got a "FA silent over *manager name*'s criticism", which was the game's way of telling you it was indeed an incorrect decision. Although that usually just added to my sense of injustice!

I don't know if that changed once they tied it up with the introduction of press conferences, which I say that because I grew tired and left them to my assistant long before I was really able to see if that still happens. I'd be surprised if it had been removed from the game, though.

I have had the "FA remain silent" on 11.3.

They should scrap it completely until you actually get a view of the incident that is good enough to judge it. I've complained many times out of frustration when a player has been scythed in half by an opposition player. But when you complain it more often than not fines you and says 'subsequent replays showed the referee was correct'.

In older FMs it made the player happy sometimes when you defended the team against the ref, but if you got it wrong you could get fined or whatever. But like busngabb said, half the time its impossible to tell if it was right or wrong.

I have had the "FA remain silent" on 11.3.

I think the thing that most people in this thread are missing is that even if you get this result it means nothing. Not like the match result is magically going to change.

So if the only affect it can have is a negative one then why ever question a call? Just ignore it, pick the middle option for press conferences and forget about it. It's a empty meaningless piece of fluff in the game, if you keep getting fined then stop challenging the call... it's a very simple common sense concept.

Sorry to be rude but this is just stupid now.

It's not meaningless because it has an effect- the players can be upset with your lack of discipline, or be happy you stood up for them.

You discipline players who get red cards, that keeps them in check. Two completely different things.

But if the rare occasion does get a little boost for a player and not a fine, big deal. If morale is low that boost will likely be gone by the next match, if morale is high its still completely meaningless.

I take ever press conference and never give any opinion on controversial calls, never once had anything negative happen.

Reflecting reality doesn't mean a lot though. The OP is talking about getting fines all the time and wondering if anything good happens. Just stop doing it and don't get the fines.

During the match you will normally get a good hint from commentary if the referee decision was wrong or not (was that a penalty? it looked like one!) and when that happens i can normally criticize the referee "safely" without any punishment.

I think the only purpose right now it's probably to have an impact on players morale in case you lost or drew a match and got in the wrong end of a referee call.

Who gives a crap about fines? What do you spend your wages on? If you can see a call was wrong say so. Don't be a wuss.
The board and the fans are currently mad at me for being fined a decent sum of money for my 3rd complaint this season - and thats of about a possilbe 8 or 9 that I thought were bad desisions !

There's your answer. You get nothing out of challenging them even if you are right, you never really have any idea if it's right to challenge them or not in the first place as it's random, and the board gets mad over fines if you get them.

It's a lame half baked system that doesn't hurt you to ignore it... so ignore it.

Another way to boost morale by interacting with your players is "meaningless"?

......what?

How often does it boost that morale? Sounds pretty damn rare to me. It probably has minimal impact of morale anyway, like most press conference stuff. Private chats, contracts, team talks, and wins (even against a crap team in a friendly) have FAR larger impact on morale. That's how I keep my teams morale up.

Only reason I bother with press conferences is so the asst man doesn't screw them up.

Team talks only do so much, when you're bottom of the league wins are hard to come by, your horrible performer might react badly to you saying he should up his game, etc etc.

Every little thing helps. It's not the ultimate thing, but one out of many. As they say, many small streams make one big river.

Everything in the game can have a negative impact doesn't mean you should then avoid doing anything. And agree with Danny...new contracts seem to do nothing.

The morale system is really broken this year...a small defeat against a team much better than you sends morale plummeting and a win against an absolutely rubbish team sends morale sky high. Gotta love those Euro cup qualifying rounds.

Team talks only do so much, when you're bottom of the league wins are hard to come by, your horrible performer might react badly to you saying he should up his game, etc etc.

Every little thing helps. It's not the ultimate thing, but one out of many. As they say, many small streams make one big river.

Uhh... iff things are that bad then commenting on a controversial call isn't going to help one single bit. Not to mention if you get fined and **** of the board when they are already ****ed over other things...

Look guys... talk all you want about this the fact of the matter is controversial calls rarely have a positive impact, the impact is a drop in the bucket, and the negative affects can be far more significant. Again, it's not freaking rocket science to figure out the risk vs reward in this instance.

Regarding ac13's comments about morale however, I totally agree, the morale system is overly sensitive and has too big of an impact. Doesn't change the fact that the controversial calls bit is worth the effort in-game.

Risk? There's absolutely no risk if you only do it when you know for a fact that the ref got it wrong ;)

Protip: have a look at what is said about the ref's performance after the game. If you only call him on mistqkes when it says something like "a major mistake was that penalty/goal in xth minute", you're home free ;)

Archived