FM2011: The worst CM/FM ever.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are more than welcome to have your own opinion on the matter, but unless you actually provide your own reasoning everyone is going to laugh you out of the forums.

Personally I'm yet to have a year where I felt FM had gotten worse, and this year is no different. Call me a fanboy or whatever you want, but the developments that SI have made each year add completely to the depth (and therefore my enjoyment) of the game.

09, 10 and 11 are all pretty bad compared to 08 and 07. But 11 is better than 09 and 10, with 10 being the worst, imo.

I can't say I really got into 11, but having played a couple of seasons, I wouldn't bestow upon it the dishonour of being the worst in the series. I think my personal least favourite was 00/01, which I recall getting for Christmas and really struggling to enjoy. Although I was only 14/15 years old back then, so it's possible my reasons for disliking it weren't the best! Since the SI/Eidos split, FM09 was the one I've had the least love for.

i think they get better each year, FM08 was dodgy, FM09 was good fun but annoying at times, FM10 was brilliant, avoided the forums during that game and honestly didnt notice a single problem with it, FM11 is even better again not had any issues with it except a crash which was fixed with the second patch. Im one who likes the new features so for me every year it gets better.

Anything before then is harder to remember to be honest, but i had some of the best times playing the old champ mans, but that was more due to playing games with pals.

The worst one ever was the first 1 with 2D. It was the first year of the split (that I had no idea happened back then) and still to this day am not sure whose version I bought. Maybe I bought the other guys attempt. I'm sure it was still called championship manager, so maybe I did.

To the OP:

This topic has been discussed on a regular basis since launch, but your opening post has added nothing to the discussion. By all means add your comments either positive or negative for debate, as threads like this will quickly go downhill without some substance.

No it's not the worst FM09 is way the worst ever with CM4 being second and third place FM08.
09, 10 and 11 are all pretty bad compared to 08 and 07. But 11 is better than 09 and 10, with 10 being the worst, imo.
I can't say I really got into 11, but having played a couple of seasons, I wouldn't bestow upon it the dishonour of being the worst in the series. I think my personal least favourite was 00/01, which I recall getting for Christmas and really struggling to enjoy. Although I was only 14/15 years old back then, so it's possible my reasons for disliking it weren't the best! Since the SI/Eidos split, FM09 was the one I've had the least love for.

09?

10?

Seriously have you guys played these games?

Arguably FM10 is the best of the series, 11 has made improvements but there are a few bugs that have spoilt peoples enjoyments.

CM4 was by far the worst of the series.

I think its the best of the series. I may for the first time miss out on 2012. It will depend on that new features and improvments are announced though. Really enjoying this game

09?

10?

Arguably FM10 is the best of the series, 11 has made improvements but there are a few bugs that have spoilt peoples enjoyments.

Heh, going to say... of the supporter posts in this thread this one seems the most honest and objective. :)

09?

10?

Yeah, I hated 10. The transfer system was broke beond beilef And it was all about team talks. The ME was bad too. 09 and 11 are very similar. 11 just has a few more features but the ME is better than 10 and 09 so thats why its the best out of all the ones since 08.

I think this year is the best one yet, and they improve every year. I feel sorry for those who have experienced bugs and stuff that has ruined the game for them, of course, but a lot of people say they hate the game for one reason, but really dislike it as they can't just use a super tactic like you could in the days of FM 2007. If people spent half as much time playing as they did complaining, they'd probably get into a game and enjoy it.

That said, FM 2007 might well be my favourite, as it was from a time with less super rich teams, and some of the golden oldies were still around. Nostalgia :)

Yeah, I hated 10. The transfer system was broke beond beilef And it was all about team talks. The ME was bad too. 09 and 11 are very similar. 11 just has a few more features but the ME is better than 10 and 09 so thats why its the best out of all the ones since 08.

Heh.. like 11's transfer system was great... I will say 11's ME is more 'creative' but that leads to many more stupid bugs... 10 had less variety in a way but at least it looked cleaner without the occasional clown show that they call a match.

Go back and play some of the earlier Champ games, nostalgia aside this version beats the pants off them. As for the FM series, it's not the worst, no.

I'd still like to see an improvement to the ME, more of that less messing about with "features".

I think your opinion depends on how you play the game. Most people play it differently. Some like long term careers, some play for 2 seasons, some start with small teams, some with big. Some people play different nations. Some people edit the hell out of it.

My defination of buggy will not be the same as the next guy who doesnt play the same way. Like to me the rival team transfer bug is something that has never effected me. I never played in italy. To others that might be game breaking for this version. Manager rep, I stay at the same club so that doesnt effect me either.

Some people will never notice bugs in the finacal system because they always pick rich clubs and some people wont notice that Torres and all the other world class players sit in the reserves at 33 onwards because they wont move to another club as they never get that far in, or the board spends 1 million putting 50 seats in your 5000 capacity statium because you got non league promoted to the prem.

Theres loads of ways to play the game and people will have different experiences.

Heh.. like 11's transfer system was great... I will say 11's ME is more 'creative' but that leads to many more stupid bugs... 10 had less variety in a way but at least it looked cleaner without the occasional clown show that they call a match.

Yeah, I just made a post earlier saying that 11s transfer system is looking as bad as 10s. But the ME is better. 09,10 and 11 all have very similar bugs and annoyances to me, that never seem to get improved. I just said 11 is better than 09 and 10 because of the ME which is slightly better.

Which is why I think they are not as good as 07 and 08.

I think your opinion depends on how you play the game. Most people play it differently. Some like long term careers, some play for 2 seasons, some start with small teams, some with big. Some people play different nations. Some people edit the hell out of it.

My defination of buggy will not be the same as the next guy who doesnt play the same way. Like to me the rival team transfer bug is something that has never effected me. I never played in italy. To others that might be game breaking for this version. Manager rep, I stay at the same club so that doesnt effect me either.

Some people will never notice bugs in the finacal system because they always pick rich clubs and some people wont notice that Torres and all the other world class players sit in the reserves at 33 onwards because they wont move to another club as they never get that far in, or the board spends 1 million putting 50 seats in your 5000 capacity statium because you got non league promoted to the prem.

Theres loads of ways to play the game and people will have different experiences.

Ok one more post...

disagree with this completely... This is only the case when people are not looking at the game objectively. A bug is a bug regardless of how long you play, what level you play at, or anything else. The key is being objective enough to know something is a bug and not just 'I'm losing, WAAA!' or on the other side, admitting to a bug and not trying to gloss over it with something else.

This is why forums aren't a very good source of quality information because 90% or more is always biased.

Below: But yeah... interesting to see good discussion pop up from an obvious troll OP. lol

Ok one more post...

disagree with this completely... This is only the case when people are not looking at the game objectively. A bug is a bug regardless of how long you play, what level you play at, or anything else. The key is being objective enough to know something is a bug and not just 'I'm losing, WAAA!' or on the other side, admitting to a bug and not trying to gloss over it with something else.

This is why forums aren't a very good source of quality information because 90% or more is always biased.

Below: But yeah... interesting to see good discussion pop up from an obvious troll OP. lol

you've already missed a goal!! :p

I think your wrong here, i personally think most of the bugs are subjective, yes there are obvious ones that are annoying and obvious, but a lot of the ME issues and various other things are in peoples opions, its been said before and i have said it before, but people not freqenting the forums dont tend to notice the issues like people on here do, would you say they are not being objective because they are only interested in their own enjoyment? Of course not. Everyone has different opinions of what actually constitutes a problem with the game, but it doesnt mean those who dont notice them have a less meaniful opinion.

Ok one more post...

It does imo, which i think proves my point. Everybody has a different opinion.

One of the biggest game breakers for me in the past few years was the transfer system and how big clubs dont renew there old players and just stick them in the reserves till they retire and they expect double wages to play for another club despite being unhappy and wanting to leave. Other times its when after all the real players are gone the quality of regens are nowhere near the same as the players they are replacing. 10 years in there teams would look almost identical just missing the retirements. Its rare players stay at the same club 10+ years but on FM10 it was commonplace.

Last year, clubs didnt buy or showed interest in building squads. No good for a long term save that, not so bad if your short term. Some people dont even like regens and want the teams to keep similar squads, so they would love that kind of thing.

Most of the things that bother me I wont know till about 5 or 6 seasons in.

that´s what always gets ya in the gonads. si put out that feedback thread and the first while everyone is like yaayy, and i´m like yaayy as well. then dawn comes up and some are like, uuhhhh hay wait a minute hold on uuhhhh

you've already missed a goal!! :p

I think your wrong here, i personally think most of the bugs are subjective, yes there are obvious ones that are annoying and obvious, but a lot of the ME issues and various other things are in peoples opions, its been said before and i have said it before, but people not freqenting the forums dont tend to notice the issues like people on here do, would you say they are not being objective because they are only interested in their own enjoyment? Of course not. Everyone has different opinions of what actually constitutes a problem with the game, but it doesnt mean those who dont notice them have a less meaniful opinion.

Nah.. saw the goal and the red, now it's all but over lol... anyway.

Well that's part of what I mean... for example most complaints you see are about things like injuries, long shots, etc. The things that get on peoples nerves and you have one side saying it's bad and one side saying its fine. That's all subjective and not a real bug, if there is anything wrong it just a judgment error with the frequency of such things.

But on the other hand you have things like this that I posted int he bugs forums...

Situation where during a free kick from the opposition half the FB never covers the winger and lets them go up field and stand onside completely ignored. This is something that started with 11.1 and hasn't changed since. it's obviously a bug, I mean even if you have FB's set to attack you don't completely ignore someone like that in your defensive third.

Those are the things I think of when i say that the FM10 ME was better then 11's is. But that's what most people don't discuss in the forums. it's the things like 'always get an injury after my 3 subs' or '20 only 5 on target?!' all the subjective stuff, but few take the time to document quite obvious failures in the system.

I dont know, sometimes with things like that, what seem like a bug, like a faliure in the ME is more like just a bad representation to me. All the pre-calculations have already decided you will concede a goal and the just ME triies to show that in match. Thats why I dont really think its worth paying too much attenting to the graphics.

I know in 10 I conceded a few goals straight from kickoff and when I watched the replay, all my players did was kickoff and stand there while the opposition ran and scored in under 20 seconds. But I dont really concider that a bug as I knew it would happen somehow as it was already decided as soon as I pressed submit team.

I dont know, sometimes with things like that, what seem like a bug, like a faliure in the ME is more like just a bad representation to me. All the pre-calculations have already decided you will concede a goal and the just ME triies to show that in match. Thats why I dont really think its worth paying too much attenting to the graphics.

I know in 10 I conceded a few goals straight from kickoff and when I watched the replay, all my players did was kickoff and stand there while the opposition ran and scored in under 20 seconds. But I dont really concider that a bug as I knew it would happen somehow as it was already decided as soon as I pressed submit team.

That's irrelevant though... if the 3d engine fails to show it properly there is still a bug. How can I manage my team when I don't have clue how they are performing because some of what I see is wrong in the first place?

But besides that, I think this comes down to much more then just representation, I think poor representation is more accurate for things like own goals and the like. But something so obvious and also extremely repeatable (see it regularly in 11) is a bug with the ME.

09?

10?

As I brought up 09, I'll respond to that.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I always sink countless hours into every version of the game. Why? Because far more often than not, SI deliver a game that I would play for years (and in some cases, such as 97/98 and 01/02, still dip into several years later) if it was not for the introduction of a newer version competing my affection. In addition to that, CM 00/01 was possibly the only version I've not bought within a week of the release, and if I'm buying the game, I don't want to play six months and give up on it. A waste of money, don't you think? I'm happy to say the fact I'm not enjoying a particular version doesn't mean it's a bad game, just that I've struggled to get as immersed in it as I have others. Which was why I intentionally worded my post in a way that didn't suggest it was a bad game per se, just that it was the one "I've had the least love for". I still played it for several seasons; I think I got as far as 2017 or 2018, at which point 10 came out. Probably longer than a lot of people who weren't a fan of it.

Any version of the game would have to be a huge step backwards for me to ever consider it a 'bad' game. I can never understand people saying 11 is a 'bad' game, for example; for me, it's still a good game, just 10 is superior.

That's irrelevant though... if the 3d engine fails to show it properly there is still a bug. How can I manage my team when I don't have clue how they are performing because some of what I see is wrong in the first place.?

The same way you did before it was added to the game. We all managed somehow before 2D. 01/02 didnt even have one, was that a bug?

I only use the 2D to look at the shape of my team, I dont use it to explain why I conceded that last goal, as that last goal only happened because the game had decided I would concede. So it probably invented any old way for it to happen. Long range screamer, own goal, penalty, stupid defender not doing what hes told...

Personally, I think as long as you have a half decent tactic (ie, a formation the game likes, combined with the sliders in near enough the right position to how the game wants them) and the right players, with the right stats and high morale you'll win more often than not. 09, 10 and 11 focusing more on the high morale part and the team talk bit.

I like 11 but, for me, it takes up too much juice for what it delivers. The added extras don't really add anything to the game, the 3D match, the added agent and media stuff I find pointless. But each time things like that are added it means I have to limit which leagues I play.

I have a new laptop too, 3 weeks old. Maybe there should be a lite option (If there is, i'm not aware of it - except for turning all this stuff off, which I have done).

The same way you did before it was added to the game. We all managed somehow before 2D. 01/02 didnt even have one, was that a bug?

I only use the 2D to look at the shape of my team, I dont use it to explain why I conceded that last goal, as that last goal only happened because the game had decided I would concede. So it probably invented any old way for it to happen. Long range screamer, own goal, penalty, stupid defender not doing what hes told...

Personally, I think as long as you have a half decent tactic (ie, a formation the game likes, combined with the sliders in near enough the right position to how the game wants them) and the right players, with the right stats and high morale you'll win more often than not. 09, 10 and 11 focusing more on the high morale part and the team talk bit.

I never played FM prior to the 3d engine... But I know what you mean, commentary and/or 2d were good enough in the past.

But 'good enough in the past' is not how games evolve and get better, it's how they grow stale and die.

Sure I can go look at a players stats and rating to get an idea how well he's doing. But does my playermakers 80% pass completion mean he's making great passes under pressure or are they easy tic-tac passes? Was that foul vicious or nothing special? Are the boys fighting hard for a header off a corner or just letting the opposition go up and get it? Those kinds of things, when those things are displayed better then we have more input on how well the team performs and what issues we have to work on.

For instance, my German 2nd league save I just started i got a striker that has better stats then one of my starters and my asst man tells me he's a better choice to start. So I start him, he gets average ratings (but the rating system has issues of it's own), his stats look fine, nothing wrong. Yet in every match he's played in he was never part of the highlights and my midfield were scoring all the goals. So I get fed up with him, switch back tot he original starter, who by the numbers is the lesser of the two players. His first game back in the line up he gets a goal and is a real threat time after time.

That shows something about the game that excellent. You can't just determine things by how they look on paper irl. Well that showed itself in the game which is great... But if you don't always get an accurate representation of things then you cheapen the experience drastically and actually make the game far more shallow.

Edit: If I wanted to play a game simply by numbers and stats I'd just do fantasy sports.

09?

10?

Completly agree with Cougar2010.

CM4, IMO, the worst ever CM/FM... and for me was the only version that i really think was unplayable. It was the onl CM/FM that i stop play before the next version were release (i think i only play it for coulpe of weeks).

As for FM2011, and again IMHO, the best FM so far! And i play CM/FM the first version. The last patch (11.3) really boost up the game, and since then i'm having so much fun in every save i play.

But, as i said... it's my opinion!

It does imo, which i think proves my point. Everybody has a different opinion.

One of the biggest game breakers for me in the past few years was the transfer system and how big clubs dont renew there old players and just stick them in the reserves till they retire and they expect double wages to play for another club despite being unhappy and wanting to leave. Other times its when after all the real players are gone the quality of regens are nowhere near the same as the players they are replacing. 10 years in there teams would look almost identical just missing the retirements. Its rare players stay at the same club 10+ years but on FM10 it was commonplace.

Last year, clubs didnt buy or showed interest in building squads. No good for a long term save that, not so bad if your short term. Some people dont even like regens and want the teams to keep similar squads, so they would love that kind of thing.

Well these problems are here worse than ever. I tried to buy Pienaar back with Everton but he wanted rediculous wages and signing on fees and agent fees so he stayed at tottenham and then retired because he was not getting any games. So now at 31 he's a coach for me on 3k per week rather than a player on 40k+ per week.

Podolski is 29 and has scored one goal in the last 3 years for Koln. They are bottom of the league in germany and due to him playing so little he is down to 1 star CA. I make an offer for him to join a team competing in europe but he wants 65k per week plus a huge signing on fee. I guess he'll be retiring at 31 as well.

Fred was bought for R Madrid for 20mil. He played one game (in which he scored). He then went out on loan for 2 seasons and then was released on a free.

I can't get into FM11, but that is because I haven't found as much time for it like I could with all the other FM's. Nothing wrong with it in my own opinion.

FM07 by far the best for me :cool:

FM09 the worst every time for me.

I think FM10 was a massive step forward and i'm expecting next years to be even better.

i totally agree with this!! for some reason i just couldn't get into fm 2009, so i soon went back to fm 2008.

i really enjoyed fm 2010, i dont think fm 2011 is a great leap forward, but i am enjoying it all the same.

but hopefully fm 2012 will be a big leap forward!

From the CM series I can't remember wich one was greater, I think I liked everyone... Too many years have passed, I was young, many time to play, etc...

From the FM series the one that I enjoyed the most was FM2007, maybe because back that time I had many time to play. So I made some of my "legendary" saves with FM2007.

Since FM2007 I liked FM2010 and so far FM2011 is enjoyable.

I think that the problem with the most recent versions, is that the game is getting every year more complex and some people (like me) that remember the "good old days", sometimes don't understand the changes, so they get frustrated and say that this is the worst version of the game. And that's something that I don't agree, even if sometimes I get frustrated too.

I have played these games to death and bought into the entire series. For me FM10 is the best by a mile. FM08 was next best. Problem is, they are only the best after they have been fully patched, so anyone who bought them when they came out and didn't get the patches pretty much has a flawed product. That's why I never buy FM upon release anymore - I don't like the way they use the consumer to do their testing. The series should be bi-annual. I year to enhance and a year of testing.

Usually I just wait 6 months for the patches to come out, but I still haven't bought FM11 yet because I think the animation looks worse than FM10 and I keep reading the transfer system is buggered up etc. even after the patches.

the maatch engine is unplayable. if i play with 4-4-2 my centra forward go always on the side and this is unealistic. I come back to fm10.

its not unrealistic, torres does it all the time, henry does it, train ppm cuts inside or change your tactics so they dont move into channels

ok but is not possible for me (manager) give instruction for keep forward in the center. If i manage a team i want my player where i say!

Really i tried several time and when i spent my pacience i came back to 10 version

ok but is not possible for me (manager) give instruction for keep forward in the center. If i manage a team i want my player where i say!

What is your other forward doing?

Do you want two in the centre?

Forwards look for space the same as they do in real life.

What is your other forward doing?

Do you want two in the centre?

Forwards look for space the same as they do in real life.

yes i want two player large that wait ball in the centre of the box and not winger. they always when rb and lb have the ball in the my half, my forward become winger. I don't want it. can you say me is exist an instruction for this. In Fm10 is in.

Archived