Lap top speed issue with FM11

I recently installed FM11 on my lap top and started a game. However during the start up I noticed that to even have 2 stars on the game speed I had to choose the smallest database size. Ideally I want to run at least the medium sized database and with a good game speed. Waiting for 30 seconds/a minute between turns reminds me of football manager games on spectrum! I really thought my lap top would be up to the job as it as a decent specification. I have a HP lap top with a 1.8ghz processor and 3GB of RAM. I checked my hard drive and out of 250GB capacity it has 95GB of space free.

I thought that my lap top would run the game quickly regardless of what capacity was left on my hard drive. Has anyone else had the same problem? Is there anything I am missing that would speed the game up?

Any hints appreciated.

Thanks

Space on the hard disk does not really effect speed of the game, it is processor and RAM. You certainly seem to have enough RAM but if your processor is a single core 1.8Ghz then you will find that your game will run slower than a dual core.

To be perfectly honest though, the stars don't seem to mean much. I am running on a 2Ghz dual core Macbook Pro with 4GB RAM and I am happy with the speed of the game even though it said I only had 1/2 star game speed while running 12 nations, 28 leagues playable and a large database. I am now on season 2017/18 with 2 managers.

ok but how long do you usually wait for the game to process when you click continue?

it depends what has to happen when i press continue, if its just to progress a day it doesnt take longer than 30 seconds, if its calculating results it takes longer, especially international games, but thats the norm, unless you play this game with one nation loaded only, it will take time to process, if you want to hammer through a game without waiting only load one league, it will fly though things very very quickly, but the game will be lacking in depth.

it depends what has to happen when i press continue, if its just to progress a day it doesnt take longer than 30 seconds, if its calculating results it takes longer, especially international games, but thats the norm, unless you play this game with one nation loaded only, it will take time to process, if you want to hammer through a game without waiting only load one league, it will fly though things very very quickly, but the game will be lacking in depth.

I only had 1 league loaded and a small database size but it just seems to take ages to process. Been playing FM for years and used to the waiting times between turns but just thought it was a bit too slow.

I only had 1 league loaded and a small database size but it just seems to take ages to process. Been playing FM for years and used to the waiting times between turns but just thought it was a bit too slow.

realised quickly that this was a crap setting as searched for Alexis Sanchez to try and sign him and Udinese only had 3 real players.......the rest where greyed out!

unless your comptuer is either on its last legs, or doing something else in the background then i cant see it being that slow when only processing one league.

unless your comptuer is either on its last legs, or doing something else in the background then i cant see it being that slow when only processing one league.

its a 2 year old lap top with decent specification - will check whether its doing anything in the background. Thanks for your help :-)

its a 2 year old lap top with decent specification - will check whether its doing anything in the background. Thanks for your help :-)

what i would suggest is maybe turning off any antivirus programmes, as long as you turn them back on when you go online, they can hog up resources, GameBooster might help you as well, i havent really used it much myself as i havent really felt the need, it didnt improve my speed much but then i dont think it runs that slow.

FYI i play on a 2.1GHz intel with 4GB ram on 64bit windows 7, which is not massively more than what you are using, my current save is 13 seasons in, with the scottish leagues loaded top to bottom, english the same, spain first division, italian first, german first and russian first but i only set scotland and england to full detail the rest are playable leagues but with no detail ( you can edit that in the game status menu in game) and it still runs at a very acceptable speed for me, international matches maybe take 1-2 minutes to process but thats as bad as it gets.

what i would suggest is maybe turning off any antivirus programmes, as long as you turn them back on when you go online, they can hog up resources, GameBooster might help you as well, i havent really used it much myself as i havent really felt the need, it didnt improve my speed much but then i dont think it runs that slow.

FYI i play on a 2.1GHz intel with 4GB ram on 64bit windows 7, which is not massively more than what you are using, my current save is 13 seasons in, with the scottish leagues loaded top to bottom, english the same, spain first division, italian first, german first and russian first but i only set scotland and england to full detail the rest are playable leagues but with no detail ( you can edit that in the game status menu in game) and it still runs at a very acceptable speed for me, international matches maybe take 1-2 minutes to process but thats as bad as it gets.

Thanks a lot, this is all really helpful.

you could also try running the game in windows mode, and have your task manager loaded at the same time, and see if something is hogging up your resources or at the least tell you if FM is maxing out your computer. Also maybe try a defrag of both your computer and the game (this can be done through steam, right click on the game and go to properties) although i dont know if it would help that much. If you can find the make and model of your laptop online send a link so we can see exactly what kind of processor your using, although if its only two years old i cant imagine it being terrible and i would hope its at least a dual core.

Archived