A thought on fan/board confidence (and putting it's deficiencies in context)

Ok so we all have our complaints about this particular aspect of FM. Obviously it isn't perfect.

Off the bat I just want to be clear that I am thoroughly enjoying this installment of FM, i'm not bashing it and I don't want to be misunderstood. This is just one part of the game that I think really needs improving, especially considering the way I play the game. I'm sure i'm not the only one though.

Ok so one scenario I like to recreate in almost every recent installment of FM is as follows: I load up the premier league, the championship, la liga and serie a. I start unemployed, holiday until December 24th of the first year and take over the club bottom of the premier league. I try (and sometimes fail) to keep them up. If i succeed then I resign, go on holiday until a club I feel like playing offers me a job. I set myself a target for that season and if I achieve it I resign and keep going as such. If I fail my target, I stay for another season until I reach it. (For example, if the first team I take over get relegated under me, I stay until I take them back up and keep them in the premier league).

Now, I find this really fun, short term targets, moving from club to club. It means I get to try out a variety of tactics (I find that very few formations suit more than one team, especially in the short term) and manage a wide range of players. Unfortunately, the club/fan confidence aspect of the game takes some of the fun away. Let me give you an example:

A couple (r/l) weeks ago I took over Aston Villa on Dec 24th 2010. They were bottom of the league, 9 points adrift from the team in 17th place. Obviously keeping them up wasn't a hugely difficult task, they had Ashley Young, Darren Bent, Gabby Agbonlahor et al. In the end I finished 13th and won the League Cup (beating Chelsea over 2 legs and Man City in the final). I thought this was a very impressive achievement considering where they were when I took over, added to the 'very poor' morale for almost every player. Unfortunately the fans and board didn't agree, at the end of the season they were "satisfied". There were plenty of games where we got good draws at home and the fans were "slightly concerned". I feel like in real life the fans would be a lot happier. Obviously Kenny Dalglish is already a Liverpool legend, but even if he wasn't the way he's turned around their fortune this season has been noticed by the fans, who are more than 'satisfied' by his management so far.

I know many people have talked about this problem, I don't mean to beat a dead horse. Unfortunately this is one of the ways that I play the game, which I enjoy a lot, and is severely hampered by my achievements going unnoticed by the fans and board. Hopefully FM12 will improve this feature, if it does it'll be almost perfect.

Archived