[Transfer system] Is the transfer system in FM2011 really broken?

I'm pondering on treating myself with a FM2011 copy but I read reports from users on this forum that the transfer system seems to make odd transfers for top clubs and buying them average players for heaps of cash who will never make it in the team anyhow because they lack the ability and the potential.

So, how broken is the transfer system in FM2011 really or are these reports very rare? What are your experiences with the game so far?

It was in some way back in 11.1... haven't heard the same stuff since, but there are other issues.

If you are happy without 11 I'd say skip it and see if they make improvements to the various systems and ME in 12. Personally think 10 was a better experience overall.

It was in some way back in 11.1... haven't heard the same stuff since, but there are other issues.

If you are happy without 11 I'd say skip it and see if they make improvements to the various systems and ME in 12. Personally think 10 was a better experience overall.

i agree with this, but i am enjoying 11.3.

Other issues? What seems to be a biggie at the moment or is there nothing really big but just a little annoying? Is that player agent feature working properly?

Other issues? What seems to be a biggie at the moment or is there nothing really big but just a little annoying? Is that player agent feature working properly?

agents in general are working there are some issues but generally they are annoying like irl. Since 11.3 i can't say there are any big issues i've come across, in the first season there are some players like Suarez and David Luiz that don't show some of their stats like goals and appearences but that goes away after the first season.

i havent had any issues really with this version, still playing a save i started with 11.1, transfers seem ok to me, can sell players for big amounts of money easily, can sign most targets i want and i have found the agents relatively easy to deal with, especially if you learn the little tricks.

But others have not been so lucky as you can read on the forums, i would say give it a go, you will never really know how good or bad it is until you actually play it, 99% of the "bugs" are subjective and you would probably not notice any issues unless you read about them on here.

i havent had any issues really with this version, still playing a save i started with 11.1, transfers seem ok to me, can sell players for big amounts of money easily, can sign most targets i want and i have found the agents relatively easy to deal with, especially if you learn the little tricks.

But others have not been so lucky as you can read on the forums, i would say give it a go, you will never really know how good or bad it is until you actually play it, 99% of the "bugs" are subjective and you would probably not notice any issues unless you read about them on here.

Exactly this and for the price you could get it for now, it is well worth the investment

Exactly this and for the price you could get it for now, it is well worth the investment

Another vote for this. If you take everything you read on this forum at face value you would never buy any version of FM ever because every single version of the game and every single patch is OMGTHISISBROKENIHATESIURRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHTHEGAMEISBROKENOHMYGODUNPLAYABLEIWANTMYMONEYBACKBLAHBLAH****INGBLAHSIBETTERGIVEMAHOTFIXOTHERWISEIMGOINGTOCRY

Forums in general give a highly misleading impression of the subject under discussion: they give people who are angry a place to vent but those who are generally content don't bother posting to say that. So, as an example, Doctor Who is a highly popular TV show which usually gets very good reviews from professional critics, but if you visit a Doctor Who forum the night after a new episode has aired there will be loads of posts saying "that was the worst episode in the entire history of the programme".

There was an issue with the initial release of FM11 that demand in the transfer market was too low, meaning that it was virtually impossible to sell players you didn't want and that world class players were being hawked around for peanuts. That has been resolved. In something as complex as FM, with thousands of clubs, there are bound to be odd wrinkles and niggles: there's one highly promising teenage striker who has developed an identical twin, in a few cases some statistics for a few players disappear, and when you get reports for the performances of a player on loan his average rating and the rating for that match don't display correctly and you have to go looking for them.

But most of the "OMG THIG GAME IS BROKEN" complaints boil down to "I didn't get what I wanted" - someone lost a game despite having more possession and shots or couldn't sign Messi for Milwall. In my opinion it's not perfect but most of the flaws are pretty minor stuff and easy to live with.

or couldn't sign Messi for Milwall.

Not quite. I think when people have been saying they cannot sign the likes or Rodwell, Phil Jones etc... for Man Utd there is an issue. I would argue that it is common perception that the likes of these players would jump at the chance in really life. It's not as if people are trying to sign the likes of Gerrard for Man Utd.

are Everton a rival of Man U in the game? Im trying to understand this Rodwell wont move thing, but unless there is a rivalry between the two clubs in game i struggle to understand it. Fair enough first season he prob wouldnt move there, but after a couple of seasons i would hope he would.

Ok, my point is; in 11.2 players such as these would want to sign at the drop of a hate, however in 11.3 you get a bid accepted and they do not even want to negotiate a contract. When you declare your interest prior to a bid they say they are not interested as they had heard it from you recently; despite it being the first day on the new game.

There are some issues with FM 11.3 but the only thing that really bothers me is the transfer system. I don't want to start a new discussion about it. Just for your information, there is a lack of AI offers but the transfer system isn't completely broken. I have a top team but I only get 1-2 offers from AI clubs during one transfer window. Don't tell me I need to offer them out! Surely the AI clubs should come in with offers for good players themselves. The most AI offers I receive are for talented players from the reserve team though :( Nice when you want to build a squad but not so nice when you want to snap up young talents cheaply, develop them and then sell them for a huge profit.

Forums in general give a highly misleading impression of the subject under discussion: they give people who are angry a place to vent but those who are generally content don't bother posting to say that.
And this. Download the demo and see for yourself. FM is cheaper than other games anyway and I think it's the best version yet, so there's not much harm in buying it.

I don't deny that there may be problems with the transfer system - other people's anecdotal evidence suggests something is up - but I'm yet to have a player who I should be realistically able to sign tell me they're not interested.

I will add a disclaimer, though, in that I've only really played as smaller teams in 11.3 - only once as a bigger team, but I had no troubles there either.

Ok, my point is; in 11.2 players such as these would want to sign at the drop of a hate, however in 11.3 you get a bid accepted and they do not even want to negotiate a contract. When you declare your interest prior to a bid they say they are not interested as they had heard it from you recently; despite it being the first day on the new game.

Maybe that was the issue, IMO Rodwell would hold off moving to Man U until at least next season, he wont get a game right now, i could see him being reluctant to move right away.

I can understand your view, although in the tactic I use he would be the DMC so would be in the first XI, however surely that decision should be made when the squad status is agreed in the contract negotiations? Sorry, just playing devil's advocate :)

I can understand your view, although in the tactic I use he would be the DMC so would be in the first XI, however surely that decision should be made when the squad status is agreed in the contract negotiations? Sorry, just playing devil's advocate :)

yeah it would be an awesome addition to contract negotiations, especially if a player is uncertain of getting a game, something like "yes i have 5 central mids at the club, but i want you to fill a specific role in the team" could help persuade players to join.

I think at the moment, the fact Man u start with so many players in Rodwells position could work against them, especially in real life, is he going to get a game ahead of Fletcher, Carrick, Gibson, Scholes and Park right now?

yeah it would be an awesome addition to contract negotiations, especially if a player is uncertain of getting a game, something like "yes i have 5 central mids at the club, but i want you to fill a specific role in the team" could help persuade players to join.

I think at the moment, the fact Man u start with so many players in Rodwells position could work against them, especially in real life, is he going to get a game ahead of Fletcher, Carrick, Gibson, Scholes and Park right now?

In fairness don't they already have that? key player, first team, rotation, back-up etc.... If it was because of worries over apps then that should be a bigger part. That's why I think its a bug, esp seen as there was no issue in previous patches. As for so many miidfielders, that's the beauty of football manager, you don't necessarily agree with real life selections so you taylor it to how you want it

In fairness don't they already have that? key player, first team, rotation, back-up etc.... If it was because of worries over apps then that should be a bigger part. That's why I think its a bug, esp seen as there was no issue in previous patches. As for so many miidfielders, that's the beauty of football manager, you don't necessarily agree with real life selections so you taylor it to how you want it

yeah i was meaning more of interactive option to speak to the player about him joining your club, a way of persuading rather than just a squad status, but your right it is in there to an extent.

Your very right with the second bit as well, my only point was MAYBE he see's a few players in his position who he thinks are more likely to play ahead of him right now, but that could be very very wrong, just an option really.

yeah i was meaning more of interactive option to speak to the player about him joining your club, a way of persuading rather than just a squad status, but your right it is in there to an extent.

Your very right with the second bit as well, my only point was MAYBE he see's a few players in his position who he thinks are more likely to play ahead of him right now, but that could be very very wrong, just an option really.

I think that is a great idea personally! I would also like to see it in contract renewals. Hate to use Fergie as the example again, but how many times do you hear of his powers of persuasion? I'm currently trying to re-negotiate Rooney's contract and hit a stumbling block with his agent's demand for 245k p/w. Its a shame you can't stall negiotiations part way through and go back to them. It seems if you cut it off then there is a long period where they will not want to re-negiotiate. Plus the interration bit of asking them to reduce their wage demands has always been greyed out for me. If there was more manager input into new signings/new contracts instead of just negotiating money it would really add something to the game!

Rodwell over Gibson any day of the week. And Park plays primarily on the wings.

ok so he would come in and replace a back up? would that be better than starting at Everton every week?

Fair point about Park tho!

Man Utd play 3 in the middle sometimes and they lack a defensive midfielder, so Rodwell would probably be first-choice/rotation. That's much better than at Everton where he isn't even first-choice IRL.

Man Utd play 3 in the middle sometimes and they lack a defensive midfielder, so Rodwell would probably be first-choice/rotation. That's much better than at Everton where he isn't even first-choice IRL.

without us dragging the thread down, but i dont see why he would be first choice at Man U if he is not first choice at Everton, plus fletcher plays the role of defensive mid for Man U with Scholes or Carrick along side him. Man U only seem to play 3 through the middle for very specific games the rest of the time its more of a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1.

I like the idea about having a conversation with a player before you enter into the negotiation phase of contract talks. The player conversations is already in the game and it could really add a whole new dimension to negotiations (it might actually feel like a give/take negotiation instead of a "how low will the agent accept" game)

The problems with the transfer market come about partially because of the exaggerated effect of club rivalries. Those who manage in Italy find they have a difficult time doing deals with other alleged 'rival' clubs while IRL they tend to deal with one another when the opportunity is there.

I like the idea about having a conversation with a player before you enter into the negotiation phase of contract talks. The player conversations is already in the game and it could really add a whole new dimension to negotiations (it might actually feel like a give/take negotiation instead of a "how low will the agent accept" game)

Thats my thoughts, a convo that states what you want from them, ie "your young but i see you in the first team soon" or things along those lines, something that could persuade a player to sign if he is having second thoughts, again it could be good for renewing contracts as well, kinda integrate a convo into the real time negotiations, ie "i am offering you this deal because........" or " i am reducing your wages because....." little things like that, that would hopefully give you more negotiating options.

Thats my thoughts, a convo that states what you want from them, ie "your young but i see you in the first team soon" or things along those lines, something that could persuade a player to sign if he is having second thoughts, again it could be good for renewing contracts as well, kinda integrate a convo into the real time negotiations, ie "i am offering you this deal because........" or " i am reducing your wages because....." little things like that, that would hopefully give you more negotiating options.

It would also (in theory) be incredibly easy to implement

I've qualified for europe for all of first four season but just about every good player wants 4mil in agent+ signing on fees which is really annoying. I've got 45 million in transfer fees left over because i refuse to pay that much. This is players from west ham, sunderland, fulham or mid table german and italian teams. Oh and then transfer listed players from the big 4 sometimes want double or triple their current salary to go to a club where they'll get regular first team football...yes it's pretty broken. On the other hand it's really easy to sign promising players from south america and the smaller european nations very cheaply so it's not the end of the world.

Seems a player really really has to want to go to you before you can get him at reasonable wages and agent/signing on fee. There needs to be a bit of middle ground.

I'm about 6 seasons in and nobody ever wants to buy my players. Correction: loads of teams want to buy them but nobody ever makes a bid. Except for scotish clubs when they can sign them on a free 6 months before the end of contract. I bloody hate scotland poaching all my players. This game would be better if scotland diddnt exist :D

I still dont think I'm far enough in to work out if the transfer system is broken. I know 09 and 10 was, and from what I heard 11 is no different. It definately needs an overhaul for 2012.

I've qualified for europe for all of first four season but just about every good player wants 4mil in agent+ signing on fees which is really annoying. I've got 45 million in transfer fees left over because i refuse to pay that much. This is players from west ham, sunderland, fulham or mid table german and italian teams.

This sounds pretty realistic. Agents are huge money-grabbers, that's half the reason why footballers wages have ballooned so much. You can't claim that it's the player wanting that money though - the player has no say in it.

Oh and then transfer listed players from the big 4 sometimes want double or triple their current salary to go to a club where they'll get regular first team football...yes it's pretty broken.

This is perhaps a problem, but maybe said player feels he is better off not getting games at a club with a higher reputation hence why they want the wage hike.

On the other hand it's really easy to sign promising players from south america and the smaller european nations very cheaply so it's not the end of the world.

This seems extremely realistic. Isn't that why there's so many players from those places in the larger European leagues in the first place?

Archived