End of season form

In my first season with Swansea, 2010/11, I was in the automatic promotion spots all the way through the season, looking like i'd comfortably come second, until i had about 8 games to go, and my team completely fell apart. I didnt change anything whatsoever, but my team suddenly couldnt score - i went the last 8 matches of the season without a goal, and lost 6 of them. This caused me to end up finishing 4th, and due to my terrible form, losing in the play off semi final. if anyone has any suggestions as to why this has happened ill be happy to hear them

I had the same thing with Ayr in the Second Division I was playing Hamilton, Falkirk and East Fife and I drew 2 and won last one but I ended up in 5th with Dumbarton by 1 point. I was throwing things around my bedroom but my mum wasn't impressed. Sorry I can't get a screenshot as I can't be bothered

If your team is set to short passing that is one thing that can be the cause of this as pitches deteriorate and a short passing game becomes less effective, a more direct style of play may be whats needed.

Also you ned to beware of your squad becoming overconfident which leads to complacency and a 'we just need to turn up to win' attitude. Being more sparing in your praise of wins and good form along with considering being a bit more harsh with poor results/form should help prevent that.

I've found this to a greater or lesser extent several times and have to say I feel it's a little overblown. It particularly seems to be an issue with teams that are massively over-achieving on preseason expectations. It might be something to do with pressure as the possibility of promotion comes into view. Generally I'd advise changing team talk strategy a little, either raising or lowering the pressure depending on the age and mentality of the squad.

Archived