Stopping your team becoming complacent and over-awed?

Really need advice. I cant get my team to perform against smaller teams and they buckle playing teams with higher reputations, which I have a terrible feeling is going to cost me the champions league. I am dropping points against smaller teams, which I think might cost me the league.

However, I have no idea how to arrest the problem.

Can you guys offer any advice?

Try to put reserve players in champions league matches against small teams.

Game is getting more realistic and you should follow real life situations.In my Man Utd season I had even my reserve players starting 10 matches and coming

in in atleast 20 more . In Champions League I played mostly reserve players in the group stages and etc and they delivered nicely and got nice

experiance.

Try giving a rest to your team and it will be great . You need your squad fresh for the second half of the season when the 1/4 finals come and etc.

Also if you play only league game and cups u should still switch around players and rotate.The days where you can play your star AMc and ST 70 games per season are almost gone. You can make them go 60 but they need to rest sometimes.

ONe of my seasons was a nightmare only because I got greedy. I had final for the league cup against tottenham and I was playing FA CUP /CL and gunning the leaders in premier league.

I decided that I really value the league cup put all my first team players who were already tired I was leading 2:0 tottenham made it 2:2..Then we went to penalties and I lost the penalties. My fitness for all key players was down to 65 confidence was at medium and etc. I had another key game after that

which I needed my key players I lost it too and then went to a 8 games streak without winning.I lost the league the fa cup semi final the champions league and the league cup thanks to one match

Really need advice. I cant get my team to perform against smaller teams and they buckle playing teams with higher reputations, which I have a terrible feeling is going to cost me the champions league. I am dropping points against smaller teams, which I think might cost me the league.

However, I have no idea how to arrest the problem.

Can you guys offer any advice?

Demand everything from them. And if they disappoint you, let them know how you feel at half time. Don't hold back.

Personally I do every press conference (even the ones when you sign a new player), after each match I'll disciple anyone under 6.0 rating AND Private Chat > Match Performance > Last Game anyone under 6.5 (with negative comment) or over 7.5 (with positive comment) helps build relationships with you players, but keep on top of it and make a habit of doing it. Keep an eye on the Last 5 Games column when selecting you starting 11, just cause he's you favorite striker if hes under performing, bench him for a few games, I'd done it a few times and then brought them on as a sub and they would save me the game. Lastly when playing anyone that I'm expected to win against (based on league position and their form) put on one of two of your inexperienced players your trying to bring up, especially if your at home, they may surprise you as they AI is trying to impress the manager, just don't go overboard and put out 8-10 of them, keep some experience out there, I aim for around 3, more if they are lower divisions in a cup game.

EDIT: Oh and lastly if morale is rock bottom, squeeze in a friendly against someone you should easily beat, even if a lot of your main squad ain't fit to play, thrashing them will give your team some more confidence and boost morale. Can turn a season slump around when your form is terrible.

What everyone else says! If my team is playing one of the big clubs away from home, like Liverpool/Man Utd/etc I normally give a talk where I basically say we aint got much chance and tell the squad not too worry about the result. Unless your a big club then going in there with no expectations seems on balance to get the team playing better. If come away with a lose, which in all liklihood is gonna be the norm rather than the exception then morale shouldn't take too much of a battering which sets you up for a home game victory!

• 2 years later...

A complacent team isn´t bad if they are winning. In my save I manage a LLM Team and right now they are on a very nice winning streak wich makes them completely full of themselve and due to that no matter what is my team talk they simply dont care.

In terms of moral system being complacent is slight above desirable but still it's better than having unhappy players.

• 2 weeks later...

In home games against weak teams I use 'assertive > I expect a win/impress me' and calm/passionate 'I have faith' to each individual. If only winning by a small margin I tell them to not be complacent, if by a big margin I say I'm happy and to keep it up. Either way I tell them all that I have faith again. If losing feel free to go nuts!

If away, it's calm/passionate 'do it for the fans' and then follow the same rules.

Tends to help a little. I also will field some youth prospects/squad players but never change the full lineup as I tend to find if I replace all 11, the next game my first team will bw awful. Especially if I've been on a winning run.

Archived