Relegation shopping for big 4 teams

In most games it seems every so often a team is relegated that should be much higher up the table.

Do you take advantage of good players going cheap or leave them well alone as they got the team in the mess?

Example.... Birmingham are rock bottom and I have my eye on Scott Dann and Roger johnson, to add some depth to my squad.

I play 3 at the back so tempted to get both.

Johnson is amazing, I have him for England when Terry is injured (which is often) and he absolutely dominates, I barely need Ferdinand.

He isn't the best on the ball though, so don't sign him if it is important that you play a passing game.

best buy from a relagated team for me was Phil Jones from Blackburn to Stoke for 2.1m...

tried to get him at the beginning but Blackburn wanted wayyyy to much...they then end up getting relegated and i got him for that tiny price! went on to form a partnership with Ryan Shawcross who combined made just under 1000 league apps between them!

always have a quick look at the players in the teams that have been relegated. and in an older fm i raided Aston villa when they were relegated for Ashley Young and Agbonlahor and maybe a couple more bu can't really remeber and i was chelsea , but most teams that have been relegated dont have the real quality to change a big team

I usually stick to my own players and I have full squad, so I usually don't find any good players in relegation team that I need to sign. There's just not enough space in my team for them. Although I might use a chance and sign some of their youth prospects from U-19. Although relegation teams try to hang onto their youth players as their wage is low, they still tend to accept in relegation period in case you often even marginally more than player value.

Done it a few times, as a way of making a bit of dosh. I remember on one save picking up David Vaughan and Charlie Adams from Blackpool when they get relegated. Didn't need em' but they were cheap ... a season later sold em on for a nice profit. A bit nasty but is a good way for teams with a tight budget to generate a bit of positive cash flow! Just need to take a long-term view that may need to play a fair few games in your team to generate interest

As others have said, it only really works for a big team if a reasonably big side (Villa, Blackburn etc) get relegated, as they may have one or two who could fight for a first team place. However, it can be very helpful for teams below the big four, and it is a godsend for promoted teams, if you have the money and wages to spare.

If you're a midtable or bottom half premier league team then you can get some good players for small fees but not really for top 4 sides though. In January 2013 when I was Bristol City, I was in the relegation zone of the premier league and I managed to sign Scott Parker for £1.9million, Matthew Upson for 300k and Chris Kirkland for 600k because Wigan and West Ham were relegated in the summer.

Archived