'Respect Campaign'

Unlike the real life 'Respect Campaign', whenever I casually criticise a refereeing decision I always, without fail, recieve a warning from the board/F.A.

I never, not ever, seem to be in the right when protesting, nor has a red card appeal from me ever seen the ban against my player receeded.

I was just wondering whether other players have ever experienced a positive outcome to these processes, thoughts?

they are very rare...

the best way to do it however, is after youve given your end of match team talk, it takes you to the match round up screen.

on this screen there is a referee section which gives you a brief outline of how the ref did...if it says he made a mistake, you can appeal or criticise and be 90% successful...

however, if it says 'he had a good game' etc, there is no point appealing/criticising as you will be wrong!

There's no benefit to criticizing referees, so don't do it. It's not like you'll get to replay the game or the referee gets fired anyways. Even when you're right, all the FA does is staying silent.

Mistakes of referee are visible in commentary as well. Whenever it says "did this goal look a bit dubious?", "(club name) may feel that penalty was harsh!", "Was it a penalty? It looked like one!" etc. it indicates that ref. made a mistake. Post-match screen can confirm it. Usually in times when referee makes a mistake and you criticise it, FA remains silent. Try to be moderate with your criticism, though (there are several options you can use).

I've never successfully appealed a red card. To be honest, I practically never appeal anyway and at least in FM11 I haven't yet seen any red card that would have been too harsh, so if you have no valid grounds to appeal, don't waste your time.

IRL when red card is appealed, it may be cancelled when ref. has made a big error (e.g. given card to wrong player, completely got fooled by other player acting etc.). Perhaps red card given for handball (for GK outside the box, for field player when blocking a shot with hand) may be cancelled when it's proven that ball didn't hit the hand actually. But in FM ME referee doesn't make that kind of mistakes.

Red card for dangerous tackles and professional fouls usually won't be cancelled. Even when in video the tackle seems significantly less dangerous than at first and you feel that yellow card would be OK, it is just a matter of interpretation and FA doesn't overrule referee decisions in these situations.

I've had a few successful appeals and referee complaints. Most of the time its when they show you a replay of an offside decision which was terribly wrong, and I just lay into him, with the FA saying nothing.

I also always look at the overall rating given to the referee for the match.

Recently a referee got a rating of 3/10 and was massively biased to the away team. He also gave out a total of 12 cards that game. Unfortunately, the media didn't ask me what I thought of his performance... but asked me if I would of preferred a more conservative approach.. (Well clearly I think the referee was wrong on all of his calls so no, I didn't think there was an issue with the tackling, the issue was with the ref -.-).

I haven't see many mistakes by the referees too. But in one match my ST was sent off (red card) because of an hand ball before the half line after a through in of my team. IRL in that area of the pitch it shouldn't even be a yellow card, only fault, but the referee gave him a red card.

This is probably only bad programming by SI. The decision of getting a card should be linked to an area of the pitch, the cut of a dangerous pass, hand ball in the box, etc. Never after hand ball before the half line, just because the player didn´t control the ball that was sent to him by a teammate.

I almost never appeal for red cards (it's usually useless) but this time I tryed, because I though that it was totally unffair. Netheless to say that they refuse and even added 1 more game to the penalty. Oh well, I tryed. For the last time.

And I never, ever, criticise the referees since in a previous version of the game (fm2009 maybe) I was suspended because of that (and I was right anyway). For me it's totally useless too so I don't bother anymore. Just press the SPACE button and move on.

Archived