Can't keep clean sheets

I am AFC Wimbledon in December of my first season and I cannot keep a clean sheet whatever I do. I just drew 3-3 with the bottom club having outplayed them easily. By probability alone I should have kept one clean sheet, my defense is solid and fit but I still leak goals. What's going on?

• SI Staff

One of the BIG things I find is people clinging to a keeper when he's simply not good enough - imho getting the right keeper is vital if you want to play tight at the back (as you'd kinda expect ;) ) .... if it helps I stuck with my last keeper in my Brighton game far too long and it was only when I signed a replacement and it indicated he was 'twice as good' that I realised quite how much he'd been at fault for conceeding goals.

(I find for some reason its harder to 'spot' the good keepers myself)

Oh and finally don't be afraid to 'shut up shop' and go, direct and defensive or similar in the last 15-20 minutes of a match ... I find that helps a lot with cutting out silly late goals while my team are tiring (I tend to play pressing so they're generally knackered at the end).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived