Bizarre managerial appointments to top clubs

So Fergie just retired in my game only to be replaced by a Turkish scout named Ersun Yanal. His stats are weak and he doesn't speak English, but he does think the two of us could become friends :thup:.

Anyone else seen totally random appointments like this?

I haven't seen one as bizarre as that in my game but I can remember a certain unknown Arsene Wenger was approached at the end of September 1996 from Nagoya Grampus Eight in Japan. Suppose FM can be quite like real life on the odd occasion ;)

So Fergie just retired in my game only to be replaced by a Turkish scout named Ersun Yanal. His stats are weak and he doesn't speak English, but he does think the two of us could become friends :thup:.

April Fool?

For me it's not so much strange appointments, though Allardyce managing Athletico is one i consider to be in that category, but rather the managerial merry-go-rounds and or illogical moves. Unless i tick the 'will retire from club at end of current spell' in the editor, then wenger will always leave his title chasing Arsenal side to manage a mid table Sevilla. Why? Gods knows. Also, Mancini leaving his title chasing citeh side to manage a mid table liverpool etc.....

This needs tweaking, as does the ai squad building.

My save is full of the most ridiculous appointments! I only yesterday had my head buried in my hands when England unveiled Tony Mowbray as there new manager!

What on earth has happened to this game,never in all my time of playing these have I seen such ridiculous appointments!

In about 2018, Arsenal get brought by a Spanish tycoon...they go on to spend millions but lose out to my Stoke side in the title race and fail to win any silverware so they sack Anchelottit (strange enough as that is) and go on the appoint...Nuno Gomes! He had played on till his late 30's, retired, did nothing for a year...the gets the arsenal job! Goes on to spend over £100m, finishes 6th and doesnt win anything....and somehow beat me to Manager of the Year even though i won the league by 18 points!

Not quite a top club, but Newcastle hired Steve Bruce.

Fans of the club will undobtedly understand why that wouldn't happen IRL.

In my game, Bruce replaced SAF at Manure when he retired. Even though he had done nothing but relegate every team he'd managed. Go figure?

But that aside, it has been common place in most recent FM, 09, 10 and 11, that strange appointments happen. From the little I've read, it seems to be down to a reputation issue. Something about national as opposed to worldwide reputation. But don't quote me on that.

Jan 2011, Chelsea 6th, Ancellotti gets the boot and is replaced by league runner up & current leaders Man City's Mancini. Ancellotti then is taken on by City within a week.

Strange one. Why would Mancini, in that situation want to go to a struggling Chelsea from a massive spending, ever improving Man City? I don't get it.

it seems whoever rated Mowbary was very kind, his attributes make him a top manager in the game, he was a very successful Arsenal manager in my game before moving onto Real where he has won the league 4 years running. Mancini left city for England a few years back and was replaced by that Portuguese guy again who is rated very highly. Up in scotland celtic now have Southgate as manager and Rangers have Mcall, although the rumours are that Gattuso is away to replace him at the end of the season. Joe Cole is StMirren manager, Crouch is the St Johnston manager and Russel Anderson has taken East fife from the 3rd division up to challenging for the first division. I love seeing ex players taking over teams even if most of the time their stats are rubbish.

Didier Drogba as Man Utd manager was one of the weirder ones I've seen.

On my current save David Moyes replaces Wenger at Arsenal, just after being sacked from Everton, Mourinho has just left City to go back to Porto, Benitez returned to Liverpool only to be replaced by Avram Grant a season later. I do enjoy the managerial merry-go-round.

Didier Drogba as Man Utd manager was one of the weirder ones I've seen.

On my current save David Moyes replaces Wenger at Arsenal, just after being sacked from Everton, Mourinho has just left City to go back to Porto, Benitez returned to Liverpool only to be replaced by Avram Grant a season later. I do enjoy the managerial merry-go-round.

Drogba took over at Dundee after I left, funny how the same players are so randomised at the end of their careers.

Other than that, Mowbray is also awesome, Mick McCarthy always gets massive jobs and Mancini got 6 jobs in 8 years, being sacked from most.

Mancini was sacked after finishing 8th with Man City in the 1st season and then his replacement Avram Grant was sacked after finishing 4th in the 2nd season. They then replace Grant with Mancini again! He currently has them in 8th place again with 9 games to go and little or no chance of making the top 4. Why would a top team bring in a manager that has already failed once, and so soon after said failure?

it seems whoever rated Mowbary was very kind, his attributes make him a top manager in the game, he was a very successful Arsenal manager in my game before moving onto Real where he has won the league 4 years running. Mancini left city for England a few years back and was replaced by that Portuguese guy again who is rated very highly. Up in scotland celtic now have Southgate as manager and Rangers have Mcall, although the rumours are that Gattuso is away to replace him at the end of the season. Joe Cole is StMirren manager, Crouch is the St Johnston manager and Russel Anderson has taken East fife from the 3rd division up to challenging for the first division. I love seeing ex players taking over teams even if most of the time their stats are rubbish.

In fairness, he did goodness to West Brom, and has turned round Middlesbrough since he took over.

Marseille employed me as manager when the only previous success I'd had was 1 league cup win, 3 Scottish cup wins and 2 SPL titles with Celtic. Started with automatic reputation and was being linked with clubs in South America but was very surprised at a team as reputable as Marseille approached me as I had done nothing in Europe with Celtic in 5 years at the club.

Edit :- Just got the Arsenal job after 1 trophyless season at Marseille, not that I'm complaining as it's better than on 11.1 and 2 when you couldn't get a job anywhere if you started in the SPL but it seems like automatic rep means you can get a top job in a relatively short space of time having had limited success.

I once saw Ryan Giggs as Crystal Palace manager, and a 33 year old Shaun Wright Phillips as Stoke manager!

Lol SWP at Stoke. I wonder if stoke will continue to sign 6 foot plus players......

In my save I have seen Benitez get hired again at Liverpool, and Mancini get sacked and then hired back 2 seasons later at City. I thought it was quite strange that managers who have been sacked were later hired back at the same club but I wouldn't consider it completely out of the realm of possibility.

That's the funniest thing i have read today, thanks for sharing it :D

Unless i tick the 'will retire from club at end of current spell' in the editor, then wenger will always leave his title chasing Arsenal side to manage a mid table Sevilla. Why? Gods knows.

This needs tweaking, as does the ai squad building.

Had exactly the same thing happen to me. I was in a title race with Arsenal and Tottenham - Wenger left with about ten games to go to join Sevilla and I think Redknap retired on the same day. Ruined the game. I made a thread about it ages ago.

For me though, the most troubling thing about it all was the fact that some people tried to argue that it was all completely realistic and the game was fine. :rolleyes:

In my journeyman save in in my third season in Sweden. Capello has retired and the England Manager is now Carlo Ancolotti so is the Ireland Job as Trappatoni has retired In the Prem Harry Rednapp has been sacked and replaced by Klinsmann

You should add him on Facebook!

Well actually, Yanal's reputation shouldn't be THAT bad. He was the former manager of the Turkish national team and Gençlerbirliği, and he overachieved with Gençlerbirliği for a season and a half, making his name well known around Turkey. After the national team he struggled, and as a result he slowly faded away from being a manager in the Turkish league. I didn't know he was a scout in the game.

Frank Lampard in my game was Charlton manager for 4 seasons, two promotions and two relegations, then took over Leeds and got them promoted first seasons.

Berbatov is Forest manager, Rio is West ham manager, Xavi is now england boss after a very succesful spell in charge of Blackburn, Ruud is Schalke manager.

John Terry became Everton manager once, but that was in FM2010.

In this game i had Jose Mourinho sacked at madrid the day before the CL final. He then went to Man City with Mancini moving to Chelsea. Carlo went to manage Italy.

Rafa Benitez is now at Madrid.

and after his massive fallout in 2002 Roy Keane has taken the Ireland job.....

Archived