Playing a player out of position

Hi guys

i thought for years that player a player in his natural position was relatively important in football manger, you could play them out wide or in a different position if you had a injury crisis, but it really wasn't done unless you had too, i so i thought

had trouble finding good pacey wingers for my bournemouth side in the premiership for the last couple of seasons (had one good one but being a small club still he got poached) so used the player search for the same wingers and removed position in the filter, and found a good couple of young strikers that had good stats for a winger and train them up, having gone 20 odds games now, they both have been superb out in the MR/L position, i have them training on it but they have still yet to get any colour dot!

so how much do you think it matters? have you tried it with other positions? does it only work for wide midfielder?

cheers

Yeah, I used to avoid playing players out of position, I only played them when they had green dot. Now I use the main attributes guide to decide if a player fits the role rather than what the game says his best positions are.

i play as fiorentina, ran out of left wing backs last year, my main two got injuries!! so played gaetano d'agostino there, a left footed def mid, he was brilliant despite the position marker being red!! he's now first choice there and being trained in this position, he gets a few assists and the odd couple of goals. i must say though, that although he wasn't my first choice in midfield, he was putting in very good performances there too, before i started using him as left wing back!!

Until a couple of years ago I played people in their correct position, regardless of their abilities etc. For example, if I lost my two first team right backs and had no-one else to play there then I'd play a youth right back or reserve player.

I don't check the attributes before his preferred positions but I generally only retrain players if I have an injury crisis (which of course is a bit late really!)

Having said that I've got a DM with pace and acceleration of 20 who plays AMR if I run out of right wingers (which happens all too often sadly)

Say a player is a natural CM and you play him a whole season as a striker will he become competant in the striker position just by playing there or do you need to also train him in the striker position as well?

You need to train him - a weakness in FM's positional training.

For wingers, there's not really a huge issue, since "unpredictable" or "bad decisions" for a role that is meant to confuse and worry defenders is not necessarily a bad one. A "winger" who does something weird like cut-in and get lost could drag players out of position unintentionally, or a "winger" who charges down the wing without thinking may terrify full-backs and therefore win many corners. There's drawbacks in things like knowing how to get (good) crosses in or helping out full-backs, but wingers are prime candidates for positions where you can play players out of position and get away with it.

Archived