How does reputation work?

I'm struggling to get out of the bottom of lower league football (cant seem to get any interest of other clubs what so ever) which is probably due to my low reputation. My profile says Regional now, it said Local before, but still no interest of any kind from other clubs, whatever their stature.

So I looked in FMRTE to see what is up with reps, and found that I apparently have 3 kinds of rep as a manager: domestic, current and world. There are numbers there, but I havn't got a clue what can be concluded from them (is my rep really that bad?): I believe (I dont have FM with me at the moment to chech the exact numbers) my domestic rep is about 3000, current is about 2000 and world rep is 800something.

I take it that domestic rep means the rep I have in my native country (holland), and world would be my rep in the world (so clubs in india know about me an 800th bit of what?). What current means is a bit vague to me. I guess it is my rep in the country I currently manage in, but as I currently manage a dutch club I'd guess this value should be equal to my domestic rep. Which it clearly isn't.

My club rep is 115 or something in that neighbourhood. And furthermore I checked the reps of some leagues and it turns out my leagues (dutch 4th tier) rep is 21, which seems to be really low. I compared with english leagues, and it turns out that even english 8th tier has higher rep (22 if I'm correct). Belgian 3rd level (no high flyers and a league I expected to have a chance at after some good seasons in dutch 4th) is around 50, more than double of mine. Now I'm wondering how this low rep of my league compared to other leagues is of influence of my rep, my clubs rep and my chances to ever get approached by a club from another league (probably higer rep as 21 seems to be pretty much the bottom of what I've loaded).

I know I use downloaded leagues so if the numbers dont match the original thats fine, but I was just wondering how the math work in these cases.

-what does current rep mean?

-What do my reps (3000/2000/800) say and how do they increase during the game?

-How high should they be before I can seriously expect offers from other clubs for my services as manager?

-How does my clubs or leagues rep influence these calculations?

-What do Regional and Local mean in this context? Is there a threshold in current-rep-value that devides local from regional?

-Is there a way to link my personal rep to a clubs or leagues rep, so I can make a judgement about my chances when I apply there?

Not that I intend to check FMRTE a lot, but it would help if I knew it's no use to apply to clubs of Danish 3rd level for example.

Domestic, Current & World are your reputation ranked out of a max of 10,000.

Domestic is your rep in the country of your main nationality

Current is your rep in the country you are currently managing in

World is your overall rep across the world

All the reps increase/decrease based on match results (small effect) while league finishes/cup performances have a larger effect.

I could be wrong or it could have changed but I thought clubs also had a rep out of 10,000 and to be offered a job with them your relevant rep had to be at least roundabout the same level. So to go to a different country it would use your world rep so you would only get a job with a team with less than 800 currently.

The local/regional tags I guess refer to a set block of rep figs but I can't say for sure. Local might be say 2000-3000 while regional is 3000-4000 or something.

Success as a manager is the most powerful way to increase your rep. It is your CV if you like. As a chairman of a football club that needs a new manager, this is a key factor in your getting the job.

From the lower leagues I would think it is a much tougher task to improve your rep quickly, there are a lot of good FM players on the forums that always start in the hardest of places and they may well give you a much better and in depth answer than me.

keep it up and the best of luck...

Cougar2010 beat me to it.

Ok, clear so far, thanx Cougar2010 and qqq.

I can'timagine the 10000 rule applies to clubs also, as my 3000 domestic rep would get me a job in most clubs in dutch lower league (my current clubs rep being 115, I cant imagine that the other clubs are 20-fold higher in rep), but I'm laughed at constantly when I show interest managing them.

And what about my domestic and current rep being different, although I manage in my native country? I have been in english 8th level for 3 seasons (of the 10 I played untill now), would that account for the difference?

And is the world rep a rep that goes for any country in the world? I have as much of a rep in Papua New Guinee as I have in neighbouring belgium or germany? Or the same with an english manager in scotland, wales or (n-)ireland? That seems a bit odd doesn't it?

And what happens to my world rep when I manage in another country? I take it my current rep increases when I'm successful there, but when I move to yet another country, is that build up current rep forgotten or converted into world rep?

Isnt there some continental rep somewhere? I guess there is room for a European rep, a Latin American-, Asian-, British-, Scandinavian-, Slavian-, Baltic- etc etc rep.

Complicated stuff..

I'd guess when I go from dutch lower league to lets say Finnish lower league, my domestic rep would decrease in time fast (the dutch will forget I exist), my current rep would increase after a slight dip (it wasnt great before and now the finnish will start to know me) and my world rep also increases slightly (finland is part of the world, and neighbouring countries that follow the finnish competitions start to know me). But when I get my finnish club into the premier league there, as I'm noted in Holland again also("dutch manager gets mediocre finnish club to the top), so my domestic rep should increase again, my current rep skyrockets (the fins know I'm good) and world rep should increase also (top flight club). But then an english League 1 club comes along and I go for it. Then my dutch rep would decrease again over time as no-one cares about 3rd level football here. Getting a finnish club into the top flight would make for some slight dutch headlines, but league one.. Also my current rep would plumet as in England I'm only known by some as a foreign manager that did well in a low profile country as Finland, while in Finland I was "the man". And my world rep... I guess that would stay about the same, no top-flight club, but lower level in a high rep country. But on the other hand, the Scots and Welsh will start to know me better, so that should increase my world rep.. Pffff..

The best place to look is probably the editors forum tbh.

I suspect the way club reps worked maybe changed when league reps were introduced which is why my post doesn't fit with what you've seen.

I'm also not sure how domestic/current work when you are managing in same country but I would imagine the higher one would take priority.

I also don't really know what would happen if you went to PNG. Your current rep would then be your rep in PNG so I guess it would drop.

In terms of Belgium, Germany compared to say South American countries yes they are all treated the same. Its just the way the game works, to do what you are suggesting would involve a lot more work in terms of including some sort of geographical element linking countries.

In terms of Belgium, Germany compared to say South American countries yes they are all treated the same. Its just the way the game works, to do what you are suggesting would involve a lot more work in terms of including some sort of geographical element linking countries.

But as FM is a british invention I take it that some links between the Welsh, Scottish, English and Irish leagues do exist in the game.. So some geographical link is there already.

And still, the geographical link between holland and belgium (and germany) seems in the game already. My dutch scouts all have more knowlegde of belgium (and germany) than of other countries. And as a result I have 5 or 6 belgian players in my team. And in the case of belgium, there's the language also. As a dutch speaking manager my chances would be greater in (the dutch speaking part of) belgium. History tells that lots of dutch managers have been at belgian/flamish clubs.

Hmm, that's another one right? What influence does language have. In my profile I speak dutch, english and german fluently, does that increase my chances in a job in those countries?

YOu also have a CA which would be based on your performance which must also affect whether people will hire you.

Club reps seem to change quite a bit at end of season (up or down as much as 200 for big teams, not sure about small ones). Change during the season is minimal.

However players reps change quite quickly during season based on performances. I guess managers would be more similar to clubs than players...seen as you unlikely to get an int cap or score a hattrick.

Maybe a manager of the month award changes things a bit...i'll try keep a look out.

Club reps seem to change quite a bit at end of season (up or down as much as 200 for big teams, not sure about small ones). Change during the season is minimal.

That's interesting.. I became champions in dutch 4th level in my second season of FM11, and in all my ignorance thought I might have a chance elsewhere (which I didnt, ended up in english 8th tier). And to make sure no fees had to be paid to my old club by my potential new club I resigned after the championship-match. According to your theory I might not only have robbed myself of a chance to gain rep at a level higher (which was pretty stupid in retrospect, 8 seasons onward I haven't managed to repeat that succes, and I'm still in the basements of football), but probably also missed out on the reputationpoints that were given at the official end of season (july 1st, and not directly after the last match of that season)...

And what does CA stand for?

I'm having a kind of journeyman save right now and i started on FC Eindhoven from the Dutch second division, finished 3rd on my first season and on the second season i won the league and achieved promotion, i decided it was time to move on and tried to apply to a few jobs around on the Serie B and 2.a Bundesliga with no luck, later i got an offer from another Dutch Second division side but i refused and ended up taking FC Brussells from the Belgian Second division.

It makes sense i suppose, i need to achieve more before i'm considered on higher leagues.

Current Ability, the rating of an individual's current level of ability in the game, out of 200.

Ah, yeah that makes sense, thanx.

My CA is 140. Don't know how this influences things, but this seems quite good out of 200..

And I double-checked FMRTE yesterday and my reps are as follows (rounded off): domestic about 3400, current about 2500 and world about 1800.

The clubreps are also seem to be between 0 and 10.000, and my clubs rep is about 1200 (didnt look right the last time).

Does these reps and CA mean that when I apply to a job at a club with a lower rep than my own (below 3400 (or 2500?) in Holland, and below 1800 in another country) I should get the job? Or is it like this: If I apply to a club with higer rep than my own I don't stand a chance whatsoever, and if my rep is sufficient I have a slight chance according to the difference in reps? Or is there some width around my own rep (like 200 above and below) in which I have a chance to get the job, but it's not likely. And when my rep is above that width I have a good chance to get the job?

If my chances to get a job is linked directly to my rep and the target clubs rep, I should have a good chance to get a job at a higher level in Holland (a lot of 2nd tier and most 3rd clubs are below my domestic rep). A foreign club will be difficult as most of them have a rep higher than 1800, only some freshly promoted german 4th tier clubs (to which I applied without success) and 7th and 8th level english clubs have a lower rep.

I tried to find out what rep the under19's of some countries have, but I couldnt find those in FMRTE. The national team of Luxemburg for example has about 2500 rep, so it seems likely that a youth-job there would be a on the cards for me.

And to be linked with a club is no guarantee to get the job either. In fact, that whole linking business in the media seems to be pretty useless..

I am linked to clubs quite a lot in certain periods (and in other periods, which are no different in my view, I'm not) but all of 2 tiers higher than the division that I'm in at the moment, and none foreign. Clubs of lower stature than dutch 2nd tier do not seem to be important enough to link me with or something, which is a shame if the linking did say something about their interest in my services (what about interest from 3rd tier, that would be interesting enough for me to know about).

I seem to be really eager to get some assurence out of these questions. I'm getting a bit frustrated with my save. I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time at this club, in a division in which only one team gets promoted (and the relegated club from above is usually very strong). That there IS a chance to get out of this mess if I increase my rep some more (but is that possible without prices/promotion?) or if I apply to the right clubs (with lower rep than my own, but in a different league).

So the assurance of some calculation-method to indicate my chances when applying would be great.. How decisive is my rep? How decisive is my CA?

I guess other candidates for the jobs can't be taken into my account as I have no way of knowing who they are and what their rep is, and how many candidates there are. But how do my spoken languages fit in when applying to a foreign club? How does experience in that country (in my case english 8th level) help me? What does my financial control or other ratings (club loyalty?) bring into the clubs judgement (or are those things woven into my rep values)?

Does anyone know how this works?:

So I have 1853 world rep with 145 CA and dutch nationality, fluent dutch, english and german language.

I have shown interest in the job at a danish 2nd division club with a rep of 1800 and a "precarious" manager. Still I'm not considered to have any chance at the job and get laughed at.

I also applied for the available job at a german Regionalliga club (level 4) with a rep of 1500, but didn't get the job.

I've applied for and shown interest in numerous jobs when I didnt know about the reps in FMRTE, and never once been successfull. Only at a club from the bottom of my own league, probably with far less rep did I have "an outside chance to get the job".

Well it seems it doesn't work quite as simple as I expected it to.

I showed interest in the Brechin City job, out of boredom really, and it turned out I was the ideal candidate and a day later their manager is sacked and I got the job! Checked FMRTE and Brechins rep is around 2500.

How on earth did I get this job considering my 1853 world rep..

Haha, you make it sound like Brechin City FC is a living entity that makes choices of its own (and feels stuff).

My guess is that there is some math going on to calculate if I get a certain job or not. Obviously this is not just based on my reputation and the clubs, otherwise I wouldn't have had a chance at this job, and would have got offered many jobs I applied for or shown interest in in the past. There are probably some random numbers involved also that made me a lucky winner this time around, but didnt the 50 or so previous applications. Like there's a 5% change if the managers and clubs rep are that much apart, and the closer they get that % will rise to 50%, and if the managers rep is above the clubs rep it continues to increase untill the chances you get the job are 100%. I was probably in that lucky 5% (or less) in this case.

To summarise the logic of this job offer:

My leagues rep (dutch 4th tier) was 21, which is as low as english 7th tier I believe (BSN/S (6th tier) is 24 I think). I'm not sure what SD2's rep is, but it's probably a lot more than 21. My reps are domestic 3350, current 2400 and world 1850.

My clubs rep was 1100. And Brechins is 2500.

So it's not very logical I got the job, more so because they had to kick the previous manager out on my behalf, which must have cost them some money..

I'm getting even more curious how things work now that this has happened.

No I guess not, and probably for the better. Wouldn't be as much fun if we could calculate whether we would get a certain job or not. But it would be nice if we had some sort of handle that avoids us to make useless job-applications. Well, reputation probably is in some way indicative, but with quite a range to it.

There was a fear the calculations would never work out in my advantage, rumours of a cantgetjob-bug and such, lower rep teams laughing at me, that sort of thing. But now it seems they did and I'm reassured/relieved.

Archived