playing as liverpool

has anyone had any success with andy carroll? when i started my season i got offered benzima only 10 mil, so i got him and had andy as a bench warmer, but after a season and a half, andy carroll hardly managed 2 get going, so i sold him in the january transfer window in my second season for 10 million.

but was wondering has anyone got goals out of him or was he just a morientes ( if anyone remebers him haha )

has anyone had any success with andy carroll? when i started my season i got offered benzima only 10 mil, so i got him and had andy as a bench warmer, but after a season and a half, andy carroll hardly managed 2 get going, so i sold him in the january transfer window in my second season for 10 million.

but was wondering has anyone got goals out of him or was he just a morientes ( if anyone remebers him haha )

Nope, He played most of my games as target man got around 14 goals in the EPL and 20 in all comps ...

I think any forwards without pace will struggle. FM has always favoured pace, but I guess thats a lot like real life. Basically, he isn't that good and in no way shape or form near anything like the 35million that was spent on him. I would suggest selling him as quickly as possible and recoup some of that money.

Or you could do what I did and give him an extra 2 points in acceleration. I just wanted to be able to use him in my new Liverpool save so yeah, I cheated. He ended up scoring 28 in 38 and getting 16 assists. It's hard to say what role he played in as I use classic but my best description would be a slightly deeper lying forward thats part of a front pairing in a very attacking formation. I'm still going to sell him though, as believe it or not, he's still really struggled in a few matches and I know I can get a better striker for the role he's playing.

Llorente has the same pace and can regularly be found in amongst the top scorers in La Liga, so it is not a pace issue. Not to mention, on the previous patch i bought him off Newcastle for my Tottenham team, £20 million quid and he was awesome, not just in his general play but his goal scoring. And better yet, there is a guy in the Newcastle thread who got him scoring 30+ gls a season, on patch 11.1.

So, he has had three upgrades now. People had him performing in the previous two, so if you can't in this patch then you are simply playing him wrong, or out of sync with the rest of the team. I used him as a DLF/Attack, or a complete forward/Support. Give him creative freedom too, he will reek havoc. I love him as a player IRL too- Only a blind fan will tell you he is nothing more than a lumpish target man. This country is particularly vindictive against tall strikers(Crouch, Heskey etc), but Carroll has all the target man attributes, PLUS good technique, composure and the rest. See his goals against Villa, Liverpool etc. There are no strikers like him really.

Llorente has the same pace and can regularly be found in amongst the top scorers in La Liga, so it is not a pace issue. Not to mention, on the previous patch i bought him off Newcastle for my Tottenham team, £20 million quid and he was awesome, not just in his general play but his goal scoring. And better yet, there is a guy in the Newcastle thread who got him scoring 30+ gls a season, on patch 11.1.

So, he has had three upgrades now. People had him performing in the previous two, so if you can't in this patch then you are simply playing him wrong, or out of sync with the rest of the team. I used him as a DLF/Attack, or a complete forward/Support. Give him creative freedom too, he will reek havoc. I love him as a player IRL too- Only a blind fan will tell you he is nothing more than a lumpish target man. This country is particularly vindictive against tall strikers(Crouch, Heskey etc), but Carroll has all the target man attributes, PLUS good technique, composure and the rest. See his goals against Villa, Liverpool etc. There are no strikers like him really.

Do you play 1 or 2 up top?

Just to be clear I haven't played as Liverpool or Newcastle on FM11 and haven't managed Carroll but from an FM users point of view he is the sort of player I would look for to be part of my squads.

That said I really wouldn't judge him on goals or even assists. His role, at least in my teams, would be to provide an outlet for the defence, link the phases of play while also being a threat from crosses/set pieces and being able to roll his marker to create his own chances.

In my experience these type of players have a lesser impact from the bench and often perform better when starting.

I completely agree but he can only play a certain style of football and if you don't want to play that style of football, he's useless.

And FM pace is over powered. At least thats my take on it anyway.

Just to be clear I haven't played as Liverpool or Newcastle on FM11 and haven't managed Carroll but from an FM users point of view he is the sort of player I would look for to be part of my squads.

That said I really wouldn't judge him on goals or even assists. His role, at least in my teams, would be to provide an outlet for the defence, link the phases of play while also being a threat from crosses/set pieces and being able to roll his marker to create his own chances.

In my experience these type of players have a lesser impact from the bench and often perform better when starting.

I agree. Gotta love those target men :thup:

I completely agree but he can only play a certain style of football and if you don't want to play that style of football, he's useless.

And FM pace is over powered. At least thats my take on it anyway.

Yes i agree with that, he does decide the tempo of the team and probably slow it down a fair bit.

I've had a bit of a mixed bag with him.

On 11.2, I downloaded a transfer update, which put him at Liverpool, and holidayed a game, where he and Suarez got 500 goals in 10 seasons between them, fairly evenly. So he can perform

On 11.3, I struggled to get him to perform consistently. Signed Llorente to challenge him, and he ended up taking over and being first choice. But then later in the 2nd season, Llorente got injured and Carroll stepped up and took his spot back for the rest of the season.

just started my 2nd season with Liverpool also 2nd season in the game on my 2nd saved game

Andy Carroll was a superstar last season for my Liverpool side, 37 EPL games 105 goals

10 Cup games 42 goals

19 Continental games 63 goals

overall - 65 games 210 goals

:)

just started my 2nd season with Liverpool also 2nd season in the game on my 2nd saved game

Andy Carroll was a superstar last season for my Liverpool side, 37 EPL games 105 goals

10 Cup games 42 goals

19 Continental games 63 goals

overall - 65 games 210 goals

:)

I hope you'll appreciate that that seems a little unlikely. Got any screenshots?

I have just won the league, 1st season with Carroll as a target man who holds up the ball and with my wide midfielders crossing to his head.

I play the following formation

Reina

Vertonghen (CB) - Carragher (CB) - Agger (CB)

A Diarra (DM) - Raul Meireles (DM)

Renato Augusto (RM) Douglas Costa (LM)

Gerrard (AM)

Luis Suarez (Adv. Forward) Carroll (Target man)

This set-up won the League, Euro cup and FA cup and lost the league cup final.

I bought in some cheap backups to play all the Euro cup games and used reserve players a lot as well.

Carroll is good, but not great. His finishing and compsoure is really what I want to increase, so his training is adjusted for this.

There is a Liverpool thread giving lots of advice and tips in the Good Player & Team Guide forum.

As to Andy Carroll.

In my current Liverpool save I used Suarez as main striker and Andy as a sub for the first few games. He was terrible. Had 6.5 ratings and never above 6.9.

In the Liverpool thread someone mentioned he used Suarez on the right wing and Andy as a starter Target Man. So I tried it. Target man Attack with crossing supply to head. First game he scored a hattrick. Header from corner, outmuscled the last defender for the second, and then scored a penalty. He then went on to score one goal almost every game.

He is not the type of striker that can come off the bench and perform well. He needs to be settled to do well. He wont be your speed bunny and outrace all defenders to the ball and score some amazing goal.

What he will do is provide you with a lot of goals from set pieces due to his heading. He will be able to outmuscle defenders. He will be able to hold onto the ball just outside the box with back to goal, turn around and shoot a powerful shot that no gk can keep. He will be able to supply passes after holding the ball for your pacy wingers to score.

Playing him like this has worked very well and Suarez still keeps scoring as a winger due to his pace.

Also keep in mind he is still young and can still develop.

For many games you need an aerial presence in the box to be able to score as the pacey strikers will just sometimes get completely locked out of the game. Andy can be in the middle of a defensive pack and still score because he can head it in or he can hold the ball.

Archived