Help with picking the right desktop

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help. I'm wanting to buy a desktop computer and would very much like to get back into football manager. I haven't been able to play for years due to a rubbish laptop! I just dont know what desktop to get as they vary so much in price, etc, it's a bit of a mindfield for me. I primarily will be doing work on the pc and internet browsing. The only game I am likely to play is football manager but I want a pc that can last and handle the game because I have been told the more you play the more room is used up on the computer so I need a desktop that can handle this.

I hope someone can help advice me what to buy. Thanks

No idea what your budget is so I selected the one below, some people will tell you to steer clear of Dell, but I have never had any problems with them.

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-560/pd?oc=d005610&model_id=inspiron-560

My advice would be to make sure that the PC you get does not have an intergrated graphics chip as they can be problematic with some software, so choose a PC that comes with NVidia or ATI graphics, also a good hardrive also If you do decide to look at other PC games available you aren't going to be let down.

I had a dell, had nothing but troble with it.

I bought a HP, had it 4 and a half years and its still great. I had to buy a new mouse and keyboard and thats it, and thats only because I dont look after things. Still runs FM pretty good despite its pension like age.

I would recommend trying the HP website, its usually a bit cheaper than buying from the shop and they deliver in an instant. My comp, came after a few days, my new mouse and keyboard came the next day.

Pick one that suits your budget and it should be fine for FM.

(I just remembered, I did have to replace the HD about November but that only cost £25, other than that though..)

to be honest mate, people on here will tell you this and that about what desktop/laptop to get...

a wise man once told me (the guy that does the computers for my dads business) and through my own experience, is that football manager runs well even on low spec models.

obviously, the better the pc, the better the performance but the difference in the games performance is minimal, unless your willing to spend upwards of £1000.

my laptop isn't the worst out there, nor is it the best by a long shot but happily churns out 30+ leagues quite easily!

so...my advice is to not break the bank just for the game, as it really isn't needed.

I've had no problems with Dell, but you can often get similar spec PCs for slightly less with other companies.

The PC TheGulls picked out is fairly dreamy... but as Sir Alex said, you don't really need to spend that much. Try £350 PCs- those will run FM very nicely. My computer is worth £350 in today's market and is fine with FM, it could do with a better graphics card though.

I'd recommend novatech or a company like that, medium sized retailers who will give you a quality product and look after it because they value your custom. Avoid big retailers like PC World.

I have a Dell at the moment and in two years the only problem I had was that the hard drive failed and I lost everything ( a major pain in the arse but it was fixed very quickly) - apart from that it continues to run perfectly and I learnt a valuable lesson about backing up regularly (every Sunday in my case!).

You are always going to get people who have had good experience and bad experience with the same Company. I believe that more than anything the more RAM you have the better the speed will be. Although I only have 3GB and my is doing fine in 2020.

A seperate graphics card is always a good idea as well - not just for FM but for any game or graphics programme.

Archived