Full Version of FM for IPAD

I do not own an Ipad, but would not mind one..IF the full version of FM was available - will/could this ever happen? Or am I hoping for too much too soon?

I have tried FM for the iphone but was not too keen on it compared to the full version

• SI Staff
I do not own an Ipad, but would not mind one..IF the full version of FM was available - will/could this ever happen? Or am I hoping for too much too soon?

I have tried FM for the iphone but was not too keen on it compared to the full version

Its unlikely that the 'full' FM version will appear on a touch screen device at present because of the difference in performance between PC/iPad.

It should also be noted that in general handheld devices suit a slightly faster gameplay experience than a PC and this is something I want to retain as the FMH series evolves (simply put people often play the FMH games while travelling - say hopping on the Tube to work/school and as such its imperative that you can play for 15 minutes and feel you made some progress in your game for it to be satisfying imho).

• 9 months later...

I'm bumping this thread. I run a production company. We do video, web, graphics, mobile apps and music. When I'm done for the day I could just put my MacBook Pro in our safe and go home to my iPad for stuff that's not work-related. Except that I need a computer to run the full version of FM! This means that I carry my computer with me every day. For one reason only! FM!

A universal version with some kind of cloud saving would be so damn awesome. Or at least a full version for iPad. I could settle with only playing FM on the iPad. That would be perfect. I don't care for 3D matches or sound. But I need the full version.

If you do this, you will be heroes.

I have tried FM for the iPhone but was not too keen on it compared to the full version

If they managed to have full CM 98/99, 99/00 games on laptops with much slower processors and less physical memory than the current iPads, it's uncomprehensible why can't they achieve to have the same amount of data, stats, etc of FMH on iPads. Not expecting to support the entire leagues and thousands of players as their big brother, but at least the major clubs and major leagues, this would be suffice to enjoy full match games in 3D or at least in 2D.

Marc has said a few times the processors may be marketed as faster than old PCs but in reality they aren't.

In World War 2 they had 1000 processors filling a room, does this make it faster than a modern day computer due to the amount of processors? No.

That's just baloney, here are the specs of my old laptop back in 1999, it was capable of handling the CM series:

my old PC specs: PCG-C1XS - 12GB hard drive, 64MB RAM, 400MHz Pentium 2, Windows 98, 1024 x 480 resolution

compare the above ****** PC specs with iPad's 2 specs:

My iPad 2 specs: 1GHz dual-core A5, 64GB storage, iOS 5, 1024 x 768 pixel resolution

The facts speak for itself, period.

The facts don't speak for themselves though, processor clock speed in itself is useless, its what it does on each clock cycle that counts.

Example, I could wire a fast 555 timer up to an LED, I could also wire it up to some flip-flops, but set the clock speed slower. I know which one would be more useful.

@Dec, try to be more specific...I'd imagine that all computers have such memory, it would be most impractical if programs were run out of an hdd/sad all the time and not loaded out of RAM.

• SI Staff
That's just baloney, here are the specs of my old laptop back in 1999, it was capable of handling the CM series:

my old PC specs: PCG-C1XS - 12GB hard drive, 64MB RAM, 400MHz Pentium 2, Windows 98, 1024 x 480 resolution

compare the above ****** PC specs with iPad's 2 specs:

My iPad 2 specs: 1GHz dual-core A5, 64GB storage, iOS 5, 1024 x 768 pixel resolution

The facts speak for itself, period.

You can't compare a Pentium2 to a A5 as the processors are totally different and incomparable - about 16 years ago I worked on a flight simulator which had 64 cores - total processing power wouldn't have been negligable in comparison to your Pentium .... its easy to present 'facts' without realising that the comparison is invalid.

To further look at things windows has virtual memory, iOS doesn't (meaning that anything 'active' on iOS takes up memory space and so the game is far more restricted in terms of memory available than you might realise - meaning your 64Mb windows machine actually has more memory available than an iPad2 at times - the iOS game has to be able to start in circumstances such as having a whopping 6Mb of memory available for instance.

I know why you're indicating what you're indicating - unfortunately at present you're not correct I'm afraid ... at some point in the future I'm sure that handheld devices WILL be able to do a lot more, they've improved a lot in the last 5-10 years - but they haven't quite reached where you believe they have yet.

• 2 years later...
  • SI Staff
FM handheld is is no where near in depth enough.

Its impossible to please everyone with any product - there are people who think FM is too heavy, others who think FMH is too light - neither is right or wrong, they're just opinions.

If you prefer FM PC/Mac then by all means continue to play that - but FMH is designed to be more snackable as that playing style suits a handheld device more.

Archived