So so so so SICK of long shots!!!

Just lost a game to a Fabrice Muamba 'miracle strike' from 35 yards out.

He has Long Shots 7 and Technique 9 FFS!!!

So sick of setting up a solid defence which disallows CCC's only to be beaten time after time by ridiculous long shots from players who couldn't score like that in the real world if their lives depended on it.

RIDICULOUS!!!

If this is happening often then your tactics are allowing for the opposition to have the time and space for these shots.

Low Long Shot and Tech stats don't make 35 yard screamers impossible - just more unlikely.

If you give a billion monkey's a typewriter...

Yeah, sometimes that can happen - on this occasion, though, he bent it around the defender who was in front of him and walloped it right into the corner where my keeper couldn't reach it. Doesn't sound much like Technique 9 stuff to me.

It's just one of those annoying things really. It feels unfair when it happens, but they tend to even themselves out, and they do happen in real life, but rarely. But I'm guessing you just needed to vent your frustration :p I lost a game earlier 4-3, with my team scoring two own goals. I was not impressed.

I have to say my DMC with crap scoring attributes puts log shots in just as much as my player that actually have skill with it. But at least that go in now and players don't always make them even when told not to.

Now if only and entire league couldn't go a full season with only 5 DFK goals.

If teams score lots of long shot goals against you, it is because you are allowing them to much time and space in front of the defensive line. Most professional footballers should be able to hit the target from that range given enough time and space, so attributes become pretty irrelevant.

i'll give you one example that springs to mind...

Maynor Figurorer (sp) for wigan...the fantastic goal from in his own half about 3 years a go...only 1 previous goal before that and didnt score again till a couple of weeks ago...

actually, and...

Rio Ferdinand's lovely touch, turn and curler into the top corner from just inside the box against liverpool a fair few years a go...

These things happen in football...you may not be the best technical striker of the ball...but if you can hit one out of 1,000 sweetly, it may just go in the top corner.

Stop crying like a baby or go play super mario where things are more black and white...

Sigh...

If teams score lots of long shot goals against you, it is because you are allowing them to much time and space in front of the defensive line. Most professional footballers should be able to hit the target from that range given enough time and space, so attributes become pretty irrelevant.

Really... so then the point of having an attribute specifically for this purpose alone is there for what exactly? *sigh*

First, yes if teams are putting in long shots on you then you aren't closing down enough. Very simple tactic for that, look at the opposing players, especially midfielders, and if they have a fair long shot you always close them and show on their weaker foot. I pretty much never have them scored against me.

That being said however... as i said, it's stupid that -MY- players with low attributes in finishing, composure, technique, and above all long shots will put that long ball away just as easy as the players that are actually strong in those areas... in fact they do it -EASIER- because they take fewer shots in the first place.

Is it a huge problem with the ME? Meh, not really, there are bigger issues. But it is silly/annoying.

Really... so then the point of having an attribute specifically for this purpose alone is there for what exactly? *sigh*

If you are able to restrict these players to technically difficult long shots, then they are much less likely to score than somebody with good long shots /technique. However, if you give them masses of time and space, you are asking to get punished as any half decent professional footballer should be able to have a decent crack from 25 odd yards when he has ample time to take the ball down and pick his spot. The key is in stopping this from happening. Absolute focus on player attributes actually hinder people from working out why this is happening. The argument 'he only has 9 long shots so should never score a long shot' is completely ridiculous. The argument 'he doesn't have a great long shot so shouldn't be a danger unless I completely ignore him' isn't.

If you are able to restrict these players to technically difficult long shots, then they are much less likely to score than somebody with good long shots /technique. However, if you give them masses of time and space, you are asking to get punished as any half decent professional footballer should be able to have a decent crack from 25 odd yards when he has ample time to take the ball down and pick his spot. The key is in stopping this from happening. Absolute focus on player attributes actually hinder people from working out why this is happening. The argument 'he only has 9 long shots so should never score a long shot' is completely ridiculous. The argument 'he doesn't have a great long shot so shouldn't be a danger unless I completely ignore him' isn't.

this :thup:

do you recommend any touchline shouts wwfan (or anyone else)? in general i think i should be saying take less risks, clear to the flanks and drop deeper in the last few minutes but i wonder if its just gifting the opposition the ball back when they lose it. I don't concede a massive amount late in games but theres no worse feeling on the game when you do...

well said :thup:

do you recommend any touchline shouts wwfan (or anyone else)? in general i think i should be saying take less risks, clear to the flanks and drop deeper in the last few minutes but i wonder if its just gifting the opposition the ball back when they lose it. I don't concede a massive amount late in games but theres no worse feeling on the game when you do...

i try to kill off the game, retain possessin shouts, play narrower and exploit the flanks, so they cant easily go direct through me, and but also tire them out by having to chase the ball everywhere

Depends on the type of team you have. There are two basic ways to approach defending. One: reduce space, which means raising the d-line, playing narrower, closing down heavily. Two: get behind the ball, which means dropping deeper, playing narrower, closing down much less. You also have possession options. You can either clear the ball to the flanks and look for mobile FCs to take the ball out of danger areas, or try to keep possession by reducing through balls (pass to feet) and passing length. Which options you choose to take need to relate to the players at your disposal and the formation you play.

See also the post above for another logically thought out approach.

thanks for the replies, i think in league 2 with 2 up front using my strikers as an outlet may be my best bet when winning the ball back, they are both pretty fast with decent anticipation and off the ball stats plus i just don't trust my team in their own third :)

Yeah, would like to see how often you can put a ball on frame from 30-35 yards out with no one but you and the keeper. One thing to be on target and a completely other thing to have the skill to put it on target and with enough pace that it's not and easy save, even for a granny.

And before you say, 'well I'm not a professional' The player of mine that puts the long balls away has attributes on par to an amateur in-game. 5 Long shot, 6 Finish, 9 Composure, 12 technique. Far from what one would expect, yet he put the same number of long balls in the back of the net as player would expect to do it, and again he did it on fewer shots being a DMC I play as an anchor man he's rarely in that position.

Uhh, and as for touchline shouts... just use hassle opponents. Raises close down and tempo, giving less time on the ball.. but you have to keep in mind you're boys need to be in shape.

While i don't have a problem with the goals from long shots ,i just want to see more variation on the animation of the long shots.

Most of them are 25-30 yarders that are curled right into the top corner, goal of the year candidates that happen every other week.

Very rarely i see any long shots that are deflected and went in(which happen a lot IRL), or low hard shots near the box.

While i don't have a problem with the goals from long shots ,i just want to see more variation on the animation of the long shots.

Most of them are 25-30 yarders that are curled right into the top corner, goal of the year candidates that happen every other week.

Very rarely i see any long shots that are deflected and went in(which happen a lot IRL), or low hard shots near the box.

yeah agree with that, dont see very many drilled shots at all, even though you could argue these were in the majority in real life, though i think there are a decent amount of deflected ones

Those stats are not on par to an amateur. Amateur stats (to the standard of the general punter) are not covered in the game. How well you or I would hit the target from 30-35 yards is completely irrelevant.

The players in FM are professional or semi-professional footballers. Comparing the attributes they are given to absolute amateur players is an exercise in futility. The attributes illustrate a range of professional quality attributes, not those of players who have kick abouts in the local park.

have to agree, sometimes i end up playing with 2 DM to stop that

really frustrating even when having great DM in lower league , while my players rarely score them

weird, maybe i just get lucky because i'm in league 2 and my players score a lot more of them then the opposition, at home i score a load, the players aren't anything special and i just play a flat 4-4-2, at home i tend to play "more expressive" maybe thats a factor.

Yeah, would like to see how often you can put a ball on frame from 30-35 yards out with no one but you and the keeper. One thing to be on target and a completely other thing to have the skill to put it on target and with enough pace that it's not and easy save, even for a granny.

And before you say, 'well I'm not a professional' The player of mine that puts the long balls away has attributes on par to an amateur in-game. 5 Long shot, 6 Finish, 9 Composure, 12 technique. Far from what one would expect, yet he put the same number of long balls in the back of the net as player would expect to do it, and again he did it on fewer shots being a DMC I play as an anchor man he's rarely in that position.

Uhh, and as for touchline shouts... just use hassle opponents. Raises close down and tempo, giving less time on the ball.. but you have to keep in mind you're boys need to be in shape.

well, if im a footballer have long shot 5, technique 5, first touch 5 but given enough time and space i can get a curling screamer in. Maybe through miskicking my not accurate kick becomes world class accurate long shot too. Maybe my adrenaline rush makes it all 20 for that few seconds. :)

I had something like that happen in my favour once. My DM with fairly crap long shots stats scored not one but two screamers (one from 25m and another from 30m) in a single match to allow me to come from behind to win a crucial CL semi-finals. Pretty amazing stuff from a guy who scores less than 10 goals a season regularly.

Just to show you that the ME isn't out to screw you.

exactly this, anyone here seen Alex Mcleish curl one into the top corner from out side the box whilst playing for aberdeen against rangers, now you would hardly say he would have had a good attribute rating for either long shots of technique just because someone has a poor rating in that area doesnt mean he will never score one.

Don't really agree with this. I've just had Moussa Sissoke score twelve 25-30 yard long shots for me in my first season, even though he's not amazing at long shots (14 I think, which is good, but not good enough to score a dozen 'goal of the season' long shots).

This is particularly unrealistic as he is set to not take long shots very often (otherwise I have 20 long shots per match), and is my defensive midfielder.

Even more realistic is that his average rating was still below 7, but that's a different problem :(

Don't really agree with this. I've just had Moussa Sissoke score twelve 25-30 yard long shots for me in my first season, even though he's not amazing at long shots (14 I think, which is good, but not good enough to score a dozen 'goal of the season' long shots).

This is particularly unrealistic as he is set to not take long shots very often (otherwise I have 20 long shots per match), and is my defensive midfielder.

Even more realistic is that his average rating was still below 7, but that's a different problem :(

But 12 out of how many attempts? The fact he has scored 12 is only one side of the story, as WWfan says, ANY player with ample time should be able to hit the target from 20-30 yards, doesnt matter how good or bad their long shots, technique or any attribute is. Some players also go through spells where everything they hit goes in and every long pass reaches where it should,.

But 12 out of how many attempts? The fact he has scored 12 is only one side of the story, as WWfan says, ANY player with ample time should be able to hit the target from 20-30 yards, doesnt matter how good or bad their long shots, technique or any attribute is. Some players also go through spells where everything they hit goes in and every long pass reaches where it should,.

Given that I ask him not to take long shots, hopefully not that many attempts.

Even Gerrard in his prime, only ever got 3-4 absolute belters in a good season.

Sissoko gets one in three matches (I rotate him, as he's not THAT good).

Given that I ask him not to take long shots, hopefully not that many attempts.

Even Gerrard in his prime, only ever got 3-4 absolute belters in a good season.

Sissoko gets one in three matches (I rotate him, as he's not THAT good).

i think thats the important part here, you dont know how many attempts he has had, just because you ask him not to try doesnt mean he wont, if he is being allowed a lot of free space by the opposition then he will attempt long shots, especially if the rest of the opposition is busy closing down the rest of your team. It would also be interesting to know how many were actually 25-30 yards out, how many were closer in and your just not remembering correctly, and how many had deflections.

i think thats the important part here, you dont know how many attempts he has had, just because you ask him not to try doesnt mean he wont, if he is being allowed a lot of free space by the opposition then he will attempt long shots, especially if the rest of the opposition is busy closing down the rest of your team. It would also be interesting to know how many were actually 25-30 yards out, how many were closer in and your just not remembering correctly, and how many had deflections.

I haven't exaggerated for a thousand years!

i totally agree with this post, dont know how many times ive dominated a game playing awesome football, just to get beaten by a wonder goal from a terrible player, so unrealistic as it happens far to often, and when my players take long shots its as if theve been blind folded and using a gammied leg...... RIDICULOUS

In a similar vein, it never ceases to infuriate me when the only DFK goals I concede are courtesy of some peg-legged reserve centre-back with FK taking <10...(and although he's not exactly eligible for disability allowance) I can't even begin to count the number of times over the last three years that Ezequiel Goddamn Garay has rifled one into my top corner with Carlos-esque curl...

Player naming.

This is often amplified by people focusing on the "dangerous" players. People think "I won't bother closing down the DM, he's only got 8 long shots", but hassle the 16 long shots AMC like mad. This makes it much harder for the 16 ls AMC to score relative to the 8 ls DM, so the DM scores more goals and players with low long shots appear to do better when they're against the human player.

This does apply to AI sides as well, of course. For example, in my team, David Dunn is often tightly marked by the most defensive midfielder and hassled by other nearby players, leading to Steven N'Zonzi having a lot of opportunities from range, though N'Zonzi is my best player by stars so he usually has some pressure on him. If I replaced him with Keith Andrews, for example, I'd expect Andrews to score more, due to both the attribute increases in shooting attributes and Andrews's lower CA and reputation.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy- the manager reasons that the player who can't shoot, won't score, so he doesn't pressure him, allowing him to score.

Archived