The 3D Match engine and Laptops

So here's my query...

I've mostly only ever played FM (and CM before it) on a desktop PC. But I'm currently trying to get hold of a new laptop, as my current one is six years old and has pretty much given up the ghost. I was never able to run the 3D match engine on that. Its integrated graphics card was rubbish, and it was very behind the times.

So if I'm buying a new Laptop I'm kind of holding up the ability to run 3D matches in FM as a fairly hefty factor in my purchase. I've only got about £400 to spend, but is there anything I should/shouldn't be looking out for in order to get this happening?

Looking around, I'm finding that over 90% of Laptops on sale (unless you have an extra couple hundred quid to do a custom order) come with an integrated graphics card. Can anybody recommend an integrate graphics card which works well with the 3D match engine in FM 2011. Not finding it any way easy to get an answer.

Almost all of Dell's laptops, for example, use an Intel HD integrated card or an Intel GMA card. Has anybody used one of these, and gotten the 3D match engine working sufficiently?

My laptop is over 3 years old and runs the 3d engine fine, albeit on low res but it still works pretty smoothly. My graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400. My laptop cost £400 then, so I'm certain you can get one these days that will run fm fine for £400.

Toshiba Satellite A300, integrated graphics card. Works perfectly even though the 3D rating is a measly half a star. Laptop cost less than £400 a good few years ago - I've got 4GB of RAM though, this is essential as the graphics will need a fair whack of it.

Full 3D match engine or just 2D. And how smoothly does that display?

full 3D and it works perfectly fine, i have a half start rating for graphics in the game but ive never had a problem, the occasional freeze for a second or so but i believe this is common no matter what system you play on.

Intel HD should be OK; avoid Intel GMA - it will run, but probably only on low and might not be suitable for next year's version.

Obviously a discrete graphics card will be infinitely better, but it's probably tricky to find a laptop with one included for that price, unless you seriously compromise the other components, which I wouldn't recommend.

Never buy a laptop with an integrated graphics card, you'll regret it!

This laptop:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157466

Around 400-410£.

First of all you'll have an excellent processor, i3 are just of a high standard than dual core, + theres a ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5650 graphics card, the exact same graphics card as in my laptop, and it's excellent, runs fm11 flawless, even runs Need for Speed Hot Pursuit highest flawless. + As a bonus 4 gb ram and 500 gb hdd.

Don't buy Dell. You're paying a significant fee just for that logo.

If it's any help, I have a ATI Radeon 3200 HD graphics card, AMD Athlon 64 dual core processor, 3 GB RAM, and it runs FM11 very well. I would imagine that on your budget, as long as you're not multi-tasking too many things, you shouldn't have any difficulty finding something that works well.

Laptops with an integrated graphics card can be fine to run FM , but, if you want graphical performance today and for the future, choose a laptop with a dedicated graphics card as this will serve you better in the long run.

So glad someone has brought this thread up. My problem is the following. I need to buy a laptop without a Camera. (Going offshore security reasons) So my options are very limited. I have been doing research and Dell latitude seems to be my best option or does anyone have any other ideas. (I cannot just remove the camera from another laptop). The dell latitude options are as follows<

I looked through the benchmark list but couldnt seem to find these, can someone please advise me as to which of the following if any would allow me to play FM with the 3d match engine.

Thanks.

1 - Intel® HD Graphics 3000

NVIDIA® NVSTM 4200M (DDR3 512MB) Discrete Graphics with Optimus

2- NVIDIA® NVS 3100M 512MB DDR3

Intel® HD Graphics

3- Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD

4- Intel® HD Graphics with dynamic frequency

I play FM11 on my Packard Bell Dot. A low-end netbok with integrated grapics that was about €300 when I bought it 2 years ago. It's not fantastic (I can only play with low graphics) but playable (processing is quite slow, but that has nothing to do with the graphics). And because the resolution of the netbook's screen is not supported by FM you need a netbook-skin or (like I do) use AsTray to increase the resolution of your screen so FM 'fits'. Only setback is the fact that you can't see the full screen and have to move your arrow around to see whats at the edges. I am used to it now and just think the little netbook is so conveniently small that is counters the annoyence of the screen not fitting..

I've been looking around, and if enough people seem to think an Intel HD integrated card will RUN the 3D match engine, how's this for a cheap system? 4GB of RAM, 2 GHZ Intel dual core processor.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/dell-inspiron-n5010-blue-laptop-08702311-pdt.html

True, I'd have prefered to have gone for a laptop with an i3 processor, but the more I look at those the more Intel GMA or unnamed onboard graphics cards come up.

FWIW, I have a 4yr old HP laptop with integrated Intel card (X3100/965GMA) and I can RUN 3D on low with crowd and stuff. I also tried high but it gets a little jerky.

BTW, the CPU is much more important than gfx card for FM. Also keep in mind that dedicated cards suck more battery.

Indeed. It's Just proving a bit of a bugger trying to find a laptop with a faster processor AND a graphics card that will run the 3D match engine comfortably.

For example, on my previous example, this next model up Dell is far better in terms off processing power:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/dell-inspiron-n5010-15-6-black-laptop-08702315-pdt.html

But it has an unspecified "Integrated Media Accelerator HD graphics processor".

I'm playing on a Pacard Bell Easynote TM99 - not a problem and within your price range too.

My brother has an Easynote TM series, and also has no problem. But I have found great difficulty in finding any of the TM99 series that aren't refurbishment jobs. Packard Bell appear to still make them, but no bugger appears to be selling them new.

Scrub that. I found something suitable on John Lewis' website, of all places. Packard Bell Easynote TM85-GN-033UK Laptop, with an Intel Core i3 processor at 2.53GHz, 4GB of RAM, Intel HD integrated graphics and a 640GB hard drive (For what it's worth).

http://www.johnlewis.com/231155386/Product.aspx

I'm very much hoping thatt this one will ddo the job. Largely because I've ordered it now. I'll let you all know how I get on...

Archived