you will have to pay 1.9m in compensation for this deal

Hello everyone,

I have a transfer budget of 350k. So in the players search I tick "Asking price is at most ... 350k". That way after longer search and some scouting I find a player who would fit in. He is listed on the transfer list. I agree with the club on a 300k transfer fee. Then I enter negotiation with the player over the contract.

Now in that window appears the message "you will have to pay 1.9m in compensation for this deal". Pardon me?

1) How can this be if I just agreed with the club that the transfer fee will be 300k? Whats the game mechanic behind that?

2) How can I avoid in the player search to find players that seem to match my criteria (under 350k) and then suddenly cost millions in "compensation"? this costs time and is no fun.

I am really looking forward to help because I am enjoying the game immensly, this is the end of my first season with the football manager and so far I havnt found any problems, just enjoyed the game a lot!

Thanks!

I'm guessing no-one has answers :/

I've always thought compensation was only involved if the player was under 23 or something and you try to 'Approach to Sign' - never seen it there when I've agreed a fee for a player.

It is a bit confusing. Normally if you offer a contract to a player who's contract is expiring/expired but is still at a club, and said player is under 24(?), you have to pay compensation. However, I wasn't aware that if you agreed a deal you had to pay compensation.

How old is the player you are trying to buy?

It's a bit of a tricky one. Basically, the game's treating your transfer as a 'Bosman transfer', because he's contracted with his current club (maybe for less than 6 months?), and is signing a new contract with you from that date onward. In those cases, for young players, there's always a compensation fee which is determined by a tribunal process.

You can't avoid this. You can either wait till he's off contract and sign him (if no other club has picked him up on a Bosman), or let it drop.

I presume that, at this point, there are no transfer windows in between now and then? If there are, you might want to check the transfer/contract details and make sure they actually do specify that they occur in a transfer window, as opposed to a Bosman/end of contract type deal.

hugo_rune: this sounds logical, but I just checked. It says he has been at his current club since February 2009, and I am in mid 2011. So a lot more than 6 month. Can "Bosman" still apply ?

braundjoh/oJay: The player is 21 years old. But I agree, what is confusing me is that I agreed on paying 300k with the club. Why an extra "compensation"?

Georgex: yes, I will see what happens...

Thanks for the replys so far, hope I can come to understand whats going on ...

Ok. I guess its a glitch/bug.

I clicked on "Continue" after which "! Must respond" appeared. I clicked on "! Must respond" which brought me back to the mail where it says to offer a contract. I clicked on "Offer contract" and it showed the same negotiation window with the same settings (same wage asked for etc) but without the "compensation" small print.

If anyone from SIgames wants my save, its reproducable.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Glad it sorted itself out. Btw, when hugo_rune said about there being 6 months or less, I think he meant 6 months remaining. Not that that is relevant now, but when a player has less than 6 months remaining on their contract and plays in a different country to the one you are managing in, you can "Approach to sign", and this is where players under 24 reqiuire compensation :)

hugo_rune: this sounds logical, but I just checked. It says he has been at his current club since February 2009, and I am in mid 2011. So a lot more than 6 month. Can "Bosman" still apply ?

Less than 6 months remaining, I should have clarified :) It wouldn't make any difference how long he had been with the club for, AFAIK.

Basically, because the transfer will (presumably) take place at the end of contract, it's treated as Bosman. The $300K transfer fee doesn't apply.

If the transfer were to take place during a transfer window, then the $300K transfer fee would be used , and the tribunal amount ($1.9 million) wouldn't apply.

Edit - OK, just to clarify, with what you said above:

The problem occured because you offered the contract before you accepted their board's transfer offer. You can do this, but as you found out, you were doing a Bosman, and not the transfer you had negotiated :)

Seeing as it's sorted now, hope it goes through and he turns out to be a gun!

Archived