Buying a club, or having a say init!!

Look alot of people may not like this idea, but it's a idea i would like to see in FM,

I know it's called FOOTBALL MANAGER!! but it's a game not real life, a game is to have fun.

maybe they should have it, if your at a club 10 years you could start buying shares of the club with the money you get for wages, so you have some say with the money you get..... if your clubs in debt you could help pay it with your money, so the fans have more respect for you..

And maybe buying a club, being a manager and a chairman at the same time (I KNOW IT'S CALLED FOOTBALL MANGER ).

it could be a option in the game, people don't have to get involed in that side of the buisness if they don't want to, but for people that do, why not??

and when your the owner you get a say in everything about the club and maybe hiring directors and so on!

this has prob been asked loads of times! but i would like this!

Yes it has been asked loads of times, and it also gets shot down by most people, so be prepared!

Personally I am not a fan of the idea, as I don't see how much fun owning the club would actually be. Sure it may be a novelty at first, but it would get really boring really quickly.

What would you actually do if you owned a club? You mention hiring directors, but how much fun is that? I'd say even more boring than hiring physios, which is pretty mundane and I only do it once every couple of years at most.

Yes it has been asked loads of times, and it also gets shot down by most people, so be prepared!

Personally I am not a fan of the idea, as I don't see how much fun owning the club would actually be. Sure it may be a novelty at first, but it would get really boring really quickly.

What would you actually do if you owned a club? You mention hiring directors, but how much fun is that? I'd say even more boring than hiring physios, which is pretty mundane and I only do it once every couple of years at most.

People can say what they like, owning a club would be fun! but being a manager at the same time, you can hiring better people, like groundsman, directors, another to do with the club, or if not buying a club, maybe using your money that you get for wages, towards a player, stadium, get out of debt.......alot of things, remember it's a game, and alot of people i see say its getting boring ect ect, it needs to make a big step, and this could be 1 of them!! i bet if SI put this in people would not slate it, most i think would love it, like i said maybe not buying but putting money towards it. :)

i like the idea, possibly a feature of this could be using your money to bribe referees :p then you get your club fined when you get caught, the chances of you getting caught could all be down to your mind games ability or your dirtiness ability? just a thought on the matter.

People can say what they like, owning a club would be fun! but being a manager at the same time, you can hiring better people, like groundsman, directors, another to do with the club, or if not buying a club, maybe using your money that you get for wages, towards a player, stadium, get out of debt.......alot of things, remember it's a game, and alot of people i see say its getting boring ect ect, it needs to make a big step, and this could be 1 of them!! i bet if SI put this in people would not slate it, most i think would love it, like i said maybe not buying but putting money towards it. :)

Do you really think hiring groundsmen and directors would be fun?

If SI could make this interesting then I'd be for it, but the way you describe it makes it just another gimmmicky add-on that wouldn't appeal to a wide audience. In fact it would probably put people off buying the game.

Personally, I think this takes things a little bit far. I would like to see some variety in managerial roles instead e.g.

Some clubs have directors of football, so if you are a manager there you have less (or no) say in what players are bought and you are effectively only a coach.

Some managers basically run the club top to bottom, so here you would hold bigger sway in the boardroom compared to now - e.g. more likely to be able to restructure youth, dictate feeder club policy, improve facilities etc.

Hiring could then be tailored to the specific skills you've developed - e.g. if you're a good coach, but a poor buyer of players, you're more likely to be offered a job at a club that needs that skill set, you could gain reputation for working well with DoF's or not and that could have an influence. Managerial contract negotiation could also include demanding a greater/different span of control and so on.

Personally I am not a fan of the idea, as I don't see how much fun owning the club would actually be.

For me, I would like to shape the way the club operates; I would like to be a club that develops its own players. Thus, I would like to invest more than most in youth and training facilities...money being available. And I dont like, as a gamer, having to ask an imaginary board. As the OP said, this is a game.

IRL sometimes managers are offered shares in the club as part of their contract. Didnt peter reid pay the wages recently at his club to help out the finances? Thats not to say I agree you should but that it does happen sometimes in the real world.

Hmmm... It really isn't the worst idea and in some really long term games it could be something to look forward to. I'd love the chance to be able to take the financial reigns of the club in more than just which crappy player I should gamble on next. Taking control of investing in youth facilities, stadiums etc...

It isn't the worst idea, though some people don't like, though for them I'd just say... Don't do it?

As you said, it's football manager. This game isn't even near perfected yet you want a whole different setup. Face it, being a chairman would be boring. It would just get as repetitive as the press conferences. This isn't just a game. SI aim for realism, to make it the best football manager game they can. The game already has more than an actual manager can do in real life. I think this idea is way too gimicky and would be as bad as a train simulator.

Sorry, I don't want it. Just my opinion though.

Personally, I think this takes things a little bit far. I would like to see some variety in managerial roles instead e.g.

Some clubs have directors of football, so if you are a manager there you have less (or no) say in what players are bought and you are effectively only a coach.

Some managers basically run the club top to bottom, so here you would hold bigger sway in the boardroom compared to now - e.g. more likely to be able to restructure youth, dictate feeder club policy, improve facilities etc.

Hiring could then be tailored to the specific skills you've developed - e.g. if you're a good coach, but a poor buyer of players, you're more likely to be offered a job at a club that needs that skill set, you could gain reputation for working well with DoF's or not and that could have an influence. Managerial contract negotiation could also include demanding a greater/different span of control and so on.

i actually really like those ideas :thup:

I really like this idea as well. I think it would need to evolve as the game progresses though with clubs changing their philosophies as happens in real life. It would also probably have to be an option to switch on or off, so people could still be in full control of transfers etc. if they want to manage at a club which currently has a Director of Football.

This is a really bad idea, SI want to make a realistic game, and I'd rather they concentrated on improving and updating the manager side of the game rather than try to implement a whole new way of playing, I wish this would stop being requested

Look alot of people may not like this idea, but it's a idea i would like to see in FM,

I know it's called FOOTBALL MANAGER!! but it's a game not real life, a game is to have fun.

maybe they should have it, if your at a club 10 years you could start buying shares of the club with the money you get for wages, so you have some say with the money you get..... if your clubs in debt you could help pay it with your money, so the fans have more respect for you..

And maybe buying a club, being a manager and a chairman at the same time (I KNOW IT'S CALLED FOOTBALL MANGER ).

it could be a option in the game, people don't have to get involed in that side of the buisness if they don't want to, but for people that do, why not??

and when your the owner you get a say in everything about the club and maybe hiring directors and so on!

what a joke of a post, the idea has been spoken about a zillion times, its football manager not football owner/ceo I think its time for you to headbutt the wall a few times until that idea is out of your mind

what a joke of a post, the idea has been spoken about a zillion times, its football manager not football owner/ceo I think its time for you to headbutt the wall a few times until that idea is out of your mind

if the idea has been spoken of zillion times doesnt that mean more people are interested??

if the idea has been spoken of zillion times doesnt that mean more people are interested??

Thats what i thought goon! more people would prefer this, but i also agree they need to work on the manager side of the game aswell.

But this would be a good idea for long term gamers.

I can see your point, but it would be very hard to implement, and would maybe take away from the real point of the game? However I am all for an idea that uses your salary, as long as it doesn't stray too far into Fifa Manager territiory.

mmitch19's idea is brilliant, I would like SI to maybe look at this or put out a poll of some sort to get general feedback on this idea!

I think it's a great idea, it would give you the chance to stay with one club through thick and thin for as many years as you like without the fear of getting sacked. Wasn't this a feature in CM? I seem to remember owning my own club back in one of the other manager games. After all if you don't like the idea no-one's going to make you do it! I agree with OP, it would be an interesting option to have.

i think rather than being a owner of a club, although would be fun at first but then doing nothing but watching a computer manage your team.......you should be able to start at the bottom, e.g. unemployed being asked to be a coach, given the role of like under 18's team. then either being approached by a bigger club or getting promoted at your current club to be assisstant manager who tells the boss which players he should look at , which players you would sell, the line up you would pick....or even be asked to be caretaker manager and if you do well get the job full time

Think its an absolutely awful idea, tbh. As mentioned, it really really wouldn't be fun. How much enjoyment do you get out of hiring coaches and physios at the moment? Surely for the vast majority of people, you find the best coaches currently available to you, hire them and do nothing more until their contract is low or one wants to leave.

How about having meetings with sponsors? Again, surely no more exciting than hiring a coach now. You find who's offering the most money, accept the offer, then nothing until the following season when you do it all over again.

Finally, the argument that "If you don't like it, you don't have to play it" is by far the worst argument for implementing a feature I've ever seen on the forums. How far do you go with that? "I want to be able to play Pacman when I'm bored of football, so SI should implement this. If you don't like it, you don't have to do it." It'd be utterly boring and gimmicky, and I'd much rather SI spent their time improving the management. After all, that's what's made FM the best selling game on the PC pretty much every year.

its got potential, but as a sister game and not an add on to fm

yes it would be fun to be a chairman but i could see it being boring, because it would just be like viewing matches every week instead of controling them, but then again i like the idea of sorting finances out, hiring a firing and sometimes poking your nose in where its not wanted

the only major problem i could see is if you wanted to go to spain because its all politics and getting voted in, where as in the uk its all about the money

I don't think we should be constrained because the series is called "Football Manager" - let's not forget that your employees in-game - i.e. the chairman and directors - are "managing" your club as well.

How many times have you considered things like "I could buy David Villa for £40m, but this will mean I will struggle to save up for a new stadium," or "I've sold some players to give me more headroom for scout wages - I wish the board would recognise that."?

Fans all over would love the utopia that is their favourite club being fan-owned and well-run, generating a profit, pouring some of these profits back into the community, whilst generating young talent and giving them a chance, and winning trophies. The ability of the average fan to suggest that some profits can be reinvested into a new stadium, or to go into various training facilities. The ability to name your new stadium by fan vote. The ability to create and design your own stadium. The ability to employ as many coaches or scouts as you want, the only constraint being the ability to pay them. The ability to take out (sensible) loans or repay them at will.

Take stadia, for example. What a stadium looks like is purely cosmetic (although you could argue that a nicer stadium would attract more fans), so, to me, I don't think it's controversial to have the ability to decorate your own stadium. But can we take this further? Take the first question above - you may be saving cash up so you can build a new stadium. A feature I think would be a nice touch would be to be prompted by the board that you can invest a certain amount into a new stadium, up to a certain maximum. For example, you can invest no money at all and the board will know you have other plans to use the money; invest a little and the board may opt instead to extend your current stadium and you can use the rest for your squad, or you can invest a lot and build a new stadium, but you can look forward to having no transfer kitty for a while.

But what if you have a Fergie-like influence over the club - or greater? Because the game is targeted towards fans, and that every fan wants a greater say in the running of their club, I think it would be an even nicer feature to be able to modify your stadium at will as long as you have sufficient finances (or you can take some loans out). Put it this way - the manager is the best person in-game to know how the money is spent, so the manager in-game should arguably be able to do these things. Perhaps the board will gauge your ability to control finances and gently ease control over to you. Perhaps a fan-owned club will be more willing to let a good manager do so.

If you like, instead of a football manager being on the cover of the game, imagine having a board of directors on the cover of the game, as well as a manager. This is the "management team" that represents the ability of a user to control their favourite club to their heart's extent. Always wanted to expand Old Trafford? Sell Rooney and go ahead and see what it looks like! Want to do a Portsmouth? Take out lots of loans! Want to be Wenger? Direct most of your finances to scouting and infrastructure, since you won't be spending much money in the transfer market!

I personally think the game has miles more potential if we relaxed the idea that the game is only supposed to represent football managers.

In addition, if you are not a fan of these features, they can be kept relatively hidden and you can delegate these to the board. You should never be forced to take on more responsibility.

Summed up by this quote really...

Sounds like something fifa manager would do!

FIFA Manager and Championship Manager both have features that I would love Football Manager to have. FIFA's 3D engine and Championship Manager 10's intra-squad friendlies, for example. Just because it sounds "FIFA-ish" does not mean Football Manager wouldn't be nice with it too.

With this idea I think it would be silly if you could buy the club and make yourself manager. However it could be a nice addition to become involved in the boardroom if you decide to retire from management, just as players and managers sometimes do in reality. If you were chairman you could obviously deal with managing finances, hiring and firing, choosing the ethos of the club (e.g. Director of Football), etc.

I'd like to see it, purely because something still needs to be done about the way non-football costs rise at ridiculous rates, year on year, despite being a small club, as soon as you have a bit of success. For example, they can be £6million one year, then you win the league, then all of a sudden they are £24m the next year. Would be nice to be able to control stuff like this.

I don't think we should be constrained because the series is called "Football Manager" - let's not forget that your employees in-game - i.e. the chairman and directors - are "managing" your club as well.

How many times have you considered things like "I could buy David Villa for £40m, but this will mean I will struggle to save up for a new stadium," or "I've sold some players to give me more headroom for scout wages - I wish the board would recognise that."?

Fans all over would love the utopia that is their favourite club being fan-owned and well-run, generating a profit, pouring some of these profits back into the community, whilst generating young talent and giving them a chance, and winning trophies. The ability of the average fan to suggest that some profits can be reinvested into a new stadium, or to go into various training facilities. The ability to name your new stadium by fan vote. The ability to create and design your own stadium. The ability to employ as many coaches or scouts as you want, the only constraint being the ability to pay them. The ability to take out (sensible) loans or repay them at will.

Take stadia, for example. What a stadium looks like is purely cosmetic (although you could argue that a nicer stadium would attract more fans), so, to me, I don't think it's controversial to have the ability to decorate your own stadium. But can we take this further? Take the first question above - you may be saving cash up so you can build a new stadium. A feature I think would be a nice touch would be to be prompted by the board that you can invest a certain amount into a new stadium, up to a certain maximum. For example, you can invest no money at all and the board will know you have other plans to use the money; invest a little and the board may opt instead to extend your current stadium and you can use the rest for your squad, or you can invest a lot and build a new stadium, but you can look forward to having no transfer kitty for a while.

But what if you have a Fergie-like influence over the club - or greater? Because the game is targeted towards fans, and that every fan wants a greater say in the running of their club, I think it would be an even nicer feature to be able to modify your stadium at will as long as you have sufficient finances (or you can take some loans out). Put it this way - the manager is the best person in-game to know how the money is spent, so the manager in-game should arguably be able to do these things. Perhaps the board will gauge your ability to control finances and gently ease control over to you. Perhaps a fan-owned club will be more willing to let a good manager do so.

If you like, instead of a football manager being on the cover of the game, imagine having a board of directors on the cover of the game, as well as a manager. This is the "management team" that represents the ability of a user to control their favourite club to their heart's extent. Always wanted to expand Old Trafford? Sell Rooney and go ahead and see what it looks like! Want to do a Portsmouth? Take out lots of loans! Want to be Wenger? Direct most of your finances to scouting and infrastructure, since you won't be spending much money in the transfer market!

I personally think the game has miles more potential if we relaxed the idea that the game is only supposed to represent football managers.

In addition, if you are not a fan of these features, they can be kept relatively hidden and you can delegate these to the board. You should never be forced to take on more responsibility.

Summed up by this quote really...

FIFA Manager and Championship Manager both have features that I would love Football Manager to have. FIFA's 3D engine and Championship Manager 10's intra-squad friendlies, for example. Just because it sounds "FIFA-ish" does not mean Football Manager wouldn't be nice with it too.

Football Manager is already a very complex game, and to implement this idea properly would take a lot of work. If there is enough support for this type of thing, then it would be better as a spin-off game, perhaps with the management side toned down to be a bit more basic.

That way, all the football manager fans who aren't interested in the business side can continue enjoying their game, and all the wannabe Chairmen can play the spin-off game.

Looking after all the finances may sound like fun to some people, but as an accountant in the real world I don't want to footy mange to feel like work!

Football Manager is already a very complex game, and to implement this idea properly would take a lot of work. If there is enough support for this type of thing, then it would be better as a spin-off game, perhaps with the management side toned down to be a bit more basic.

Let SI worry about manpower.

In addition, I'm not sure why it would be better as a spinoff - it's adding new features.

That way, all the football manager fans who aren't interested in the business side can continue enjoying their game, and all the wannabe Chairmen can play the spin-off game.

This is covered by:

i.e. These features are optional.

For example, one day, at the start of the season, you might get an email asking you to attend a board meeting. You click the button to attend the meeting and your eccentric chairman says that thanks to your financial prudence over the last 5 years, the board is willing to let you exert a greater influence over the stadium building process - he may give you a certain budget which you can spend up to improving the stadium - for example, like the example in that quote, you can spend nothing, little or a lot, but this will affect other finances including your transfer kitty. Maybe one day your chairman will let you take full control over it - you can spend as much as you want, since you know best.

As a result, you become more than a "football manager" - you become the "football management team".

Of course, you can turn down your eccentric chairman's offer - and the board will continue to control these finances - nothing changes. You can also give these powers back - i.e. "I don't want to do this any more". A bit like scouting - at some point, you may think it's too tedious to scout players, and ask your scouts to do it instead.

And it's not just the stadium-building process - advertising, staff wages, loans, community investment - eventually, if you are a very good manager who has been at the club for a long time, you can end up controlling everything. You "become" the club's management team.

Alternatively, you can opt to ignore all this and continue as a normal manager. That is fine.

Alternatively, you can pick-and-choose.

Looking after all the finances may sound like fun to some people, but as an accountant in the real world I don't want to footy mange to feel like work!

See above

But if you choose not to be involved, these decisions would still have to be made by someone like press conferences, and in this case my AssMan usually upsets my players. If I choose not to get involved, someone else will make all these decisions which could have an adverse affect on my club.

But if you choose not to be involved, these decisions would still have to be made by someone like press conferences, and in this case my AssMan usually upsets my players. If I choose not to get involved, someone else will make all these decisions which could have an adverse affect on my club.

Well, that's exactly what you have already, so it's not necessarily making things worse! The chairman decides when to build a new stadium; the chairman decides how many scouts you can have; the chairman decides on when to take out a loan...

Well, that's exactly what you have already, so it's not necessarily making things worse! The chairman decides when to build a new stadium; the chairman decides how many scouts you can have; the chairman decides on when to take out a loan...

Yes but you mention adding in a few things that don't really exist now.

Decorating your stadium and community investment.

SI have given the user greater influence over boardroom matters by increasing the interaction section, and while I admit it could be further enhanced I don't think you need any more power than you already have.

Just my opinion, everybody has their own but I hope they don't go down this route.

Decorating your stadium and community investment.

SI have given the user greater influence over boardroom matters by increasing the interaction section, and while I admit it could be further enhanced I don't think you need any more power than you already have.

Just my opinion, everybody has their own but I hope they don't go down this route.

These sorts of things are abstracted away already - clubs do community investment all the time but this is just attempted to be reflected in the finances through net expected revenue, and stadium decoration is mostly a cosmetic thing in the same way you can use FMRTE to change your kit colours - no terribly big deal.

But like I said, you the manager don't need to do these things - you can let your board do it, in the same way that your board already dictates things like finances and staff numbers.

If it's new features you're wary about, I don't necessarily see these new features as a bad thing in themselves because they are more realistic in the sense of running a football club, and there is clearly some interest in the community for these features.

This happens a lot at lower leagues. My local team's manager recently brought the majority of the club, as they were in financial trouble. This means that he is less likely to be sacked. He also payed for the club's new floodlights as they cannot get promoted without them.

Relating this to FM, i would like the option to buy shares and possible the club. But i don't think it would be very interesting or entertaining to do the things that real chairmen do. So maybe just to have your name on the door, and the d yrelationship with the fans. Maybe you could be more likely to be considered a legend when you have saveour club from the brink.

What about a feature where the manager might have a say regarding takeovers and such ??

Also, I like the idea about having ESOP's as incentives for managers. :thup:

The idea about director of football, is novel, but the role of director of football is largely restricted to scouting players which are deemed buyable and looking after youth training I guess ?? (I maybe grossly wrong about this point) If that is so, then I dont think many will like to be a director of football :(

However, what SI can do is, give players a choice at the start of the game, which path you want to follow.. Something along the lines of RPG's...

a) The usual football manager

b) International Manager

c) Director of Football

d) Coaches/Assistant Manager

But, immaterial of what option you choose, you should have the ability to become what you want as the game progresses.. ie Suppose you start as a Director of Football at some club, and you find that this aint what you like to do, you should be still able to apply for managerial positions... Something of a "All leads lead to Rome really" This would make the game a bit more interesting (hopefully!!) and introduce a new aspect of playing the game. As coaches/assistant managers, one can look into holding team talks and looking after training. This may not sound much as per what the team talks and training features are as of now.. But if they are modified a bit more, making it more comprehensive.. Lets say, players having some problems, talking to ass man, and the ass man having to resolve his problems, sort of a mini quest kind of...

Further suggestions are welcome, or I await these ideas to be shot down (violently!! ;) ) :)

I very much dislike the opening idea. I'd much rather see new features relevant to a greater share of the fan community worked on. The holes have been picked in it, so I won't add any more.

I do however like the ideas of incorporating a Director of Football, and possibly beginning a management role with a reserve or youth side, but this would be hideously complicated and frustrating. Perhaps one day...

I actually like the idea of starting out as a youth/reserve team manager at a lowly club, and earning the right to be a manager. Then you could have the option to apply for assistant manager positions at bigger clubs and you could give advice to your manager on player/team reports, etc.

I actually like the idea of starting out as a youth/reserve team manager at a lowly club, and earning the right to be a manager. Then you could have the option to apply for assistant manager positions at bigger clubs and you could give advice to your manager on player/team reports, etc.

I think being assistant would be too frustrating. I mean, you might end up being ignored all season by the manager.

I think being assistant would be too frustrating. I mean, you might end up being ignored all season by the manager.

At which point you will quit and look for a different assistant manager job, or just go for a manager job.

I don't think we should be forced to be an assistant, but the option would be nice.

I'm actually really disappointed in this thread. I saw the title and thought maybe it was someone suggesting that clubs could be bought by other clubs (just like any business merger).

It does happen in real life - Dukla Prague are a great example of this - they bought higher league clubs to advance themselves up the league system.

This is still a god awful idea. Its Football Manager. Football 'MANAGER' We already have too much power in the boardroom as it is. As suggested it would have to be a game completely sold on its own and even then it wouldn't get much sales. The idea of maybe a manager of reserve/u18s is good because you're still then managing a team and then going onto manage whatever club.

This is a manager simulation game. SI's objective is too make a realistic managing game. It is not a gimmicky game like FIFA Manager. Very few people have suggested this and the only ones who have are generally aged 12-about 18? and thats pushing it.

This game is complex as it is. It struggles to work as it is with just the managing side of it. As I said, they haven't even perfected that yet so I really doubt it's ever gonna come into their minds about making us able to go into being a chairman or anything other than a 'MANAGER'.

I don't think the majority of you actually know how much work goes into making a game.A game that has one objective as simple as this yet it takes so much time and work and effort and struggling into making it. Games design is not as easy as you think. Especially when you have time constraints of merely a year after one launch of the game.

You can dress it up as much as you want, it is an awful idea. I would be majorly suprised if SI took this idea on board. It does not have enough people behind it to push it on.

Even if it did have quite a few people behind it they'd probly ignore it because this is FOOTBALL MANAGER and you're clearly trying to push on an idea which is in a completely different direction.

Not trying to be funny or obnoxious, but the perfect game for you if you like this sort of thing is the Sims.

Not when it's a small number of people mentioning it over and over again. The OP is new, but if you go back through the threads on this it is generally the same four or five handles ressurrecting a bad idea.

I have a simple point to make;

SI will want football manager to go to the masses the reason why there's still database options 2D options and such is to make the game accesible to the vast majority of computer owners, if SI decided to impliment this feature it would take a massive hit on the computer specifications and vastly reduce the playability for the people who want to play the game at a lower level, it's easy enough to say 'if you don't like it you don't have to use it' but it would be a big feature taking up alot of spce and may just force a fair few people out of the range of buying the game therefore SI makes a loss in profit they lose alot of customers and alot of money.

Now the big point is out the way I have a simple sentence;

a chairman game was created before, can anyone tell me what year that game was made in and how many sequals it had?

"So Arsene what do you have to say after that horrible 5-0 defeat?"

"I told the players yesterday that we needed pink seats with velvet cushions and a great big peace symbol carved into the middle of the pitch, but they were adamant that was taking the club in the wrong direction and that a more conservative look would be less distracting for the manager during a match, so I sent them all home and got Pat Rice to pick the starting 11 from the reserves. I don't really like these players anyway to be honest, I am just here because the pink clashed with the players shirts at my last club"

For the love of God no.

One of the things that has annoyed me in previous versions of FM is having to pay annual dividends to shareholders. (I don't know if it's still in the game because I rarely become successful enough). It would irritate me even more if the dividend was essentially taken out of my transfer kitty to reward myself with non-existent money, which would in turn be used to purchase more shares, therefore leading to a larger portion of the dividend being paid to me, which in turn would buy more non-existent shares etc.... etc.... etc....!

Although, Niall Quinn was a manager turned Chairman so I suppose the OP's suggestion does happen irl.

Archived