A Fluid 4-2-3-1: Inspired by Arsenal's Midfield Pivot

For background about my interpretation of Arsenal's midfield pivot and how I have translated this into the game look here: Creating a Triple Pivot System

Please discuss everything to do with the tactics, criticisms and results in this thread, however anything about the midfield three can go in that thread. So discussing improvements on the fluidity of the midfield, or how the midfield links up with the attack can go in that thread for example. Anything to do with the tactic at all can also go in this thread so those topics could be discussed in here as well.

The Tactic

The tactic is inspired and loosely based on Arsenal in real life but isn't a carbon copy. It combines certain elements of their philosophy such as the midfield pivot, and some of mine in trying to implement it successfully.

arsenalarsenaltactics3.png

Although it looks rather staggered and disjointed, it is not. By having a middle mentality by using standard and very fluid, the team plays as a unit. In defense the two central midfielders line up next to each other with the AM and wingers ahead, whereas in attack the team is very fluid and is difficult to mark. The AM comes deep with either of the CM/DM moving forward. The wingers cut inside and run past the striker, who also comes deep and plays one-twos and looks to spin his marker or play someone else through. The fluidity is crucial to the incisiveness of the attacking, however the right kind and ability of player is needed.

Player Requirements

Goalkeeper:

Nothing special here. The majority of goal scoring chances against you will be from the odd one on ones. The keeper needs good positioning, anticipation and one on ones, to get into a good position and save these shots. Also they need good reflexes and agility. Generally you need a good solid keeper.

Central Defenders:

For the DCr position you need a covering defender, who is still decent in the air. So someone like Vermaelen or Koscielny are very good here because they can cover for the right full back. The player needs decent acceleration, strength and jumping, whilst having good mental attributes such as anticipation, positioning, concentration etc...

For the DCl position you need a more traditional defender. Someone with average acceleration would be fine here as long as they are good in the air. They have less covering to do since the LB is less attacking than the RB. Good composure, strength, jumping, positioning and marking are important here.

Right Back:

He is an attacking wing back. Think Maicon for Brazil, or Sagna for Arsenal. You need that sort of player. He must be good defensively and offensively. Pace and stamina are important as well as the normal wing back attributes. If you still aren't sure what type of player you need some younger examples are Rafael of Man Utd and Serge Aurier of RC Lens.

Left Back:

He is not as attacking as the RB. He sits deeper but still gets forward at times. Defensive attributes are far more important than attacking ones, however he needs good composure and decent passing since he can receive quite a few passes. Clichy does well here but I feel Vermaelen would be very good (due to defensive ability). Another example of a suitable player would be Domenico Criscito.

Defensive Midfielder:

A very important position. He must have good mental attributes such as concentration, positioning, decisions and anticipation to read the game. Otherwise you may find yourself exposed on the break very often. The DM covers for your other two midfielders but needs to get forward to the AM position when necessary to maintain the 4-2-3-1 structure, hence he must choose to get forward at the correct time or you will be left with your CBs exposed or with a lack of passing options. The defensive midfieder's secondary role is being a deep lying playmaker and starting off moves. Therefore the DM needs decent creativity, good composure, strength, technique and passing. Think Felipe Melo, Alex Song, Sergio Busquets.

Central Midfielder:

Needs decent mental attributes to decide when to get forward but is has some cover by the LB and DM. He is the one who swaps with the AM most frequently so you need a playmaker but needs to be defensively ok. Someone like Ramsey and Wilshere are good because they have a high teamwork and workrate that makes up for their lack of defensive ability. They need to have a good first touch and off the ball to see the space.

Attacking Midfielder:

Needs to be a super creative and flair helps too. Off the ball, composure, decisions, agility are all important. Pace is not essential but can be beneficial. Think Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta. Even Nasri, or Hazard performs well here. Someone with a highish work rate so atleast above 11 so that they are more inclined to get back quickly to help out defensively.

Inside Forwards:

They need to be either creative like Nasri or quick like Walcott. If you can have a combination then that is lethal. Arshavin is perfect for the AML position, due to his creativity, acceleration and agility and his assertiveness when he cuts inside. This meant he got 12 goals and 15 assists in the league last season (in only 21 starts). The AML gets quite a lot of opportunities with a left footed striker and vice versa with a right footed striker. The AMR need not be left footed but he will assist more and score less if right footed.

Striker:

You need a complete striker: someone like Van Persie. Good technically and mentally is more important than being good in the air or other physical attributes. The ppm shoots with power is lethal and allows your striker to score the numerous half chances he gets. I don't think places shots is the best ppm here since the striker doesn't get that many one on ones.

Results

In the first season with Arsenal I won, the Premiership, Champion's League beating Barcelona in the final and FA Cup.

englishpremierdivisionih.png

barcelonavarsenalinform.png

Good luck I hope you experience fluid, enjoyable football:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20160312/Arsenal+4-2-3-1+%28Arsenal%2C+Apr+2011%29.tac

http://rapidshare.com/files/454474000/Arsenal_4-2-3-1__Arsenal__Apr_2011_.tac

Hi Lucatonix

I was thinking of reducing the passing settings of my defenders to short (5 on the slider) because I do not want them trying 50 yars passes but to give the ball to the DMC and MC so that they can start the play. I am unsure if I should change the passing to short for the rest of my team and only give mixed passing to AMC (7 on the slider). What would you advice in this area.

Hi Lucatonix

I was thinking of reducing the passing settings of my defenders to short (5 on the slider) because I do not want them trying 50 yars passes but to give the ball to the DMC and MC so that they can start the play. I am unsure if I should change the passing to short for the rest of my team and only give mixed passing to AMC (7 on the slider). What would you advice in this area.

I think reducing the defenders passing to short could help with their ball distribution to DMC and MC, however you should find that most of their passes go to them anyway. I think the danger with setting passing to short is that you lose the option of those cross field balls to the free midfielder/winger. I wouldn't set passing too short, perhaps the last notch of mixed.

I think reducing the defenders passing to short could help with their ball distribution to DMC and MC, however you should find that most of their passes go to them anyway. I think the danger with setting passing to short is that you lose the option of those cross field balls to the free midfielder/winger. I wouldn't set passing too short, perhaps the last notch of mixed.

Hi Lucatonix how about lowering the creative freedom for the defensive midfielder - what do you think

Sorry for the stupid question but do you I should set the passing to the first notch of mixed, because the slider goes from short and then mixed when it reaches about 8 notches

Thanks

If you want to yes. I honestly can't see a big reason to do so, because the players will look to play it shortish anyway at the moment. First notch of mixed is fine if you want to reduce the longer passes. As for lowering the creative freedom of the DM I would only say yes if the DM is not that good mentally. If he has good mental attributes it should be fine.

Gonna give this a o with Tranmere. First season in the Championship. Will post feedback when i've played 10 games. Do you have any thoughts on altering anything with a less technical team?

Perhaps reduce the creative freedom slightly from more expressive on the team instructions to default. Also if your DM is getting forward too often and is getting exposed you could try changing his forward runs to mixed.

Going to try this with Santos in my Brazil save.

Any suggestions as to what PPMs each position should have / not have ?

Also do you think this will still work with the two wide AMs moved infield to AMC (still as inside forwards - but at AMC rather than AML and AMR positions) ? I ask because at Santos I have an abundance of players who can play as AMC whilst only really having Neymar (AML) and Elano (AMR) neither of whom are natural as wingers.

If this works with 3 AMCs then I only have to worry about getting a good striker. I have several mediocre fast strikers - none of whom are good finishers.

Santos FC 2010/2011

GK Felipe, Rafael, Aranha

DR Johnathon, Para, Danilo

DC Durval, Dracena, Aguiar, Rodrigo, Fabinho

DL Sandro, Leo, Para

DMC Fabinho, Arouca, Adriano, Sandro, Danilo

MC Arouca, Henrique (Ganso), Patrick, Elano, Ze Eduardo, Sandro, Robson, Danilo, Fabinho

AMC Henrique (Ganso), Elano, Neymar, Ze Eduardo, Leite, Patrick, Robson, Hugo, Anderson

STC Leite, Ze Eduardo, Moises, Neymar, Hugo, Robson, Alves

Plus a few on loan Currently. The players I had on loan from other clubs ie. Keirrison from Barcelona etc. have been returned to try to lower my crazy wage bill. My only signing has been Fabinho (DC, DMC, MC) on a free transfer.

Looking at this thread (and your other posts about the pivot system), I feel that this is the way to go for my team. I had varying degrees of success playing a 4231 narrow and deep (fluid attacking) in my last attempt in Brazil. The problems seem to be that Brazilian teams use far more varied formations and systems than in Europe. I have played many seasons in Spain, England, Italy, Germany and France - but wanted a different challenge. In a run of 20 games as Santos I don't think I played against the same formation more than a couple of times. It will be interesting to see how your tactic deals with a 41212, followed by a 442 box, followed by a 451 then a 4231.

I would only say that you don't need wingers as such (closest thing I have to a winger in at Arsenal is Walcott). A quick striker in the inside forward position would work well, think Villa for Spain at the World Cup. With 3 AMCs I'm not sure the positional fluidity would be as good, since the middle could get crowded, however the only way to find out would be too try it.

As for ppms they aren't massively important, but tries killer balls is great for creative players. Shoots with power is good for striker and can work for the inside forward. Comes deep is good for anyone in the centre from ST to MC. Really have a look at some good players in that fit each position and have a look at their ppms and they should probably work.

Thanks. Will try a season with 3 AMCs and then will try with the original and see if there is any difference. This may take a while.

My team does have several very fast strikers that could probably be retrained as inside forwards. What I lack is a quality finisher. My squad has tons of flair, technique and pace to burn. I can see Santos creating many chances every game and failing to score unless I can sign a good finisher. With a transfer budget of zero and a wage budget of 325k (23k left to spend) I will have to wait a season or two to rectify this.

I will take a look at the PPMs of the top players for each position and make some notes.

I do team blend at very high until tactic is fluid on the match prep screen. then I use team blend, attacking movement, or defensive positioning depending on the opposition.

If I think I should win but might struggle to break down their defense I use attacking movement.

If I'm certain of the win, I would use team blend or attacking movement

If I playing Sunderland or Spurs I always use defensive positioning (quite pacy and skilled upfront)

When playing rival matches I take into account both teams form, injuries and if I think I will win attacking movement but lose/draw defensive positioning.

If they have a mega inform striker I would use defensive positioning.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You can import the tactic for fm 12. I haven't tried it with them but I am considering using it with Arsenal in the future.

The proper link will be uploaded soon. In the meantime here is another 4231 which I also used with Arsenal on fm 11 until I can find the tactic on my old computer:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21094071/arsenal+4231+%28Arsenal%2C+Aug+2015%29.tac

• 3 weeks later...

I am loving the tactic from the above post, thanks lucatonix. I had a few questions though, do you think it would work well if I changed the strategy to Counter and added it to the match prep as a 2nd tactic?

Also, how would you setup a 4-5-1 in the TC with a similar playing style to this one?

Regards

Shiraz

Err, it could work. If I remember correctly, it is set up to be probing with lots of movement. You might find it a little less potent going forward.

As for a 451, It would be the same as the 4231 but with a different midfield trio:

DMC def mid defend (or deep lying playmaker if suitable player)

MCr advanced playmaker support/attack

MCl deep lying playmaker support (perhaps forward runs on mixed) or advanced playmaker support.

Both the MCs would have roaming ticked.

or

MCr advanced playmaker attack

MC CM defend/deep lying playmaker defend

MCl advanced playmaker support

All 3 MCs would have roaming ticked.

The latter of the two is much more attacking but should get some nice interplay between the MCs ST and wingers. The former is a more defensively stable version but is less fluid going forward with the DM providing a passing outlet and cover.

Very good in league one. With Rotherham United, and this starting 11:

GK: Stuart Taylor

RB: Michael Raynes

LB: Kai Van Hese

DCR: Chris McAusland

DCL: Chris Riggot

DM: Stefan Ilsanker

MC: Ruben Palazuelos

AML: Franck Moussa

AMC: Davide Petrucci / Jonjo Shelvey

AMR: Jordan Cook

ST: Kelvin Bossman (Very poor in this role)

Looking for a good lower league striker to fill the gap. most goals from McAusland weirdly, and Cook, most assists from Moussa.

Great tactic, stopped my 16 losing game streak, and saved me from promotion as when I first used it i was 11 points from safety with 16 games left.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

The tactic is designed for fm11 but can be imported into fm12. I shall have a search around the laptop to see if I can find it.

It's not on my laptop so shall look on the home computer when I get time. Have a look in the op and click on the link to the disussion of the tactic. The team instructions can be found there and the roles are reasonably obvious from the op.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived