11.3: ridiculous wage demands

Starting a new game on 11.3 with Liverpool, I notice that the wage demands for the usual players that I try to bring in are now doubled - and in some cases tripled – compared to 11.2:

Marek Hamsik – wants £98K a week

Eden Hazard – wants £92K a week

Javier Pastore – wants £115K a week

Moussa Sissoko – wants £110K a week

Domenico Criscito – wants £110K a week

Juan Manuel Vargas – wants £91K a week

The above players were all selected from playable leagues.

If I try to renew the contracts of players that are in the first team, on average they want a raise between £15-30K! These are players like Konchesky and Cole who are being paid well, yet still they refuse to renew unless they get paid even more.

I’ve set my manager background to ‘professional footballer’ (national rep), and the club’s season expectations to ‘challenge for the title’ (£25,5M transfer kitty).

I did a test where I changed Liverpool’s starting bank balance to 0, and the wage demands for the players I mentioned were about the same. I also tested as Chelsea - still the same wage demands.

This has seriously discouraged me from starting a new save. And don’t tell me it’s “realism" because PL clubs overpay their players anyway. The likes of Sissoko and Vargas asking for 3 times more wages than they did on 11.2 means something is seriously out of whack. It is impossible to sustain these kind of wages and build a world class 22-man squad. Can it be rectified? Comment, SI?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it´s the agents that just try to get the best possible deal for their players.

I usually see what their current wage is and start by offering somewhere near the middle of what they have in wage and what the agents are asking.

Many times the contracts are acceptet immediately when I do it this way. :)

I think it´s the agents that just try to get the best possible deal for their players.

I usually see what their current wage is and start by offering somewhere near the middle of what they have in wage and what the agents are asking.

That's what I thought as well... but no luck. I offered Moussa Sissoko everything he asked for, except I put his initial £110K a week wage demands (what player would ask this insane amount when he's playing at a mid-table French club with no European football, has no other clubs interested in him, and has a chance to move to Liverpool?) down to £50K a week. He refused. On 11.2 I signed this player for £30K a week! I tried the same thing with Vargas and he just flat out refuse to sign unless I put him on £91K a week.

My guess is SI probably tried to implement the wage demands for new signings being somewhat relative to the wage structure already at the club (Gerrard is the highest earner with £120K a week, and many of the first team players are on around £90K a week), but as is the norm with any new features, they botch it on the first attempt. Great job, SI.

Tbh, I haven't seen anything out of line with wage demands. If the player has a high reputation, they are likely to ask for high wages, but it is fairly easy to negotiate down. As Man City, I had players like Sissoko, Pastore and Hazard all asking for between 80-100k per week to start with, but I think they were all on around 40-50k when they actually signed.

Out of interest, how much of your wage budget was free when you tried to sign these players?

I had a £1,5M wage budget, and if I remember correctly the current wage being spent was around £1M.

"Not seen anything out of line"?? Fine, let's just give every above average 21 year old £100K wages and see how realistic our games turn out to be!

It's not just the top class players I mentioned who are affected by this. Even someone like Alex Smithies now wants twice as much wages to sign on.

Last time I checked, Pastore, Sissoko and Hazard are already good players at the start with the potential to be world beaters. I'm sure huge wages are more realistic than them asking for 10k per week. If the club is big, and has money, it's quite likely the player wants more than he deserves. Therefore, it makes sense. If you play as Bolton and someone average wants 100k, there is something wrong. If you play as Liverpool, and make large transfer bids for the top young talent, expect to pay over the odds for wages.

Also, what I said was that I didn't pay 100k wages. So...

If it was meant to be this way, I am sure SI would have come out and defended this change by saying these demands are now more realistic. Their silence says all. Another botched update.

And Braundjoh, please play the game more before you make any further comments in my threads. Thank you.

I had a £1,5M wage budget, and if I remember correctly the current wage being spent was around £1M.

"Not seen anything out of line"?? Fine, let's just give every above average 21 year old £100K wages and see how realistic our games turn out to be!

It's not just the top class players I mentioned who are affected by this. Even someone like Alex Smithies now wants twice as much wages to sign on.

I got smithies on 9k per week. Doesn't seem too excessive. Anyway i agree with Braundjoh...put more effort into the game and try buy some new players rather than the biggest in the game. I'm more concerned about those not making the first teams or being on the transfer list and still wanting wage increases plus 1-2m sign on fees.

I got smithies on 9k per week. Doesn't seem too excessive. Anyway i agree with Braundjoh...put more effort into the game and try buy some new players rather than the biggest in the game.

Sigh... another mindless reply. As I stated in post #9, all players are affected, regardless of quality. Smithies wanted £9K wages on my save as well... as a DECENT YOUNG PLAYER.

I'm playing Villarreal on first season and I managed to sign Contreao on a 13k a week (His current deal in Benfica). After six months I upgrade his contract to 18k a week. I dont see the problem. :S

aditya: was this on 11.3 update?

When I try to sign Coentrão for Liverpool, my scout tells me he will “probably ask for wages between £76K and £105K p/w”, and when I start negotiations he will not settle for anything less than £91K!

Something is seriously out of whack. I have not made any changes to the database, and I’ve loaded only 19 leagues. If anyone from SI wants to take a look at my save I can upload it.

Sigh... another mindless reply. As I stated in post #9, all players are affected, regardless of quality. Smithies wanted £9K wages on my save as well... as a DECENT YOUNG PLAYER.

He's england's U21 gk..how much do you expect him to ask for. And you call us brainless. ANyway if you unwilling to pay them those wages i'm sure you'll find that in a few months another club will so why wouldn't you expect the player to wait for that?

Have a lookin the italian leagues how many players i'm sure you'd call average at best are on 80k+ So why wouldn't players far better want more.

ac13: I have no expectations. I am just asking why wage demands from players have tripled after the 11.3 update. Only SI can answer that.

Mindless replies from people playing as Man City and the like who are "not seeing anything out of line" were always going to pop up, but I'm hoping someone with a little more knowledge can provide their input.

Probably to stop people from buying all the best young players and complaining that the game was too easy. Sure it's not realistic that a player on 20k is going to reject 50k in the hopes that some time down the line he'll get more but i think in game it makes sense even if not irl.

Anyway you're playing with Liverpool. I've got a wage budget of 665k....compared to your 1.5m...pretty sure I notice the high wages too. I just move on to the next player if i'm not happy with what they want.

P.S Just signed in Kryvtsov and Van Damme. They've got 59 int caps between them and both accepted 20k per week....I would think this is round about what they would've wanted in previous versions.

P.S Just signed in Kryvtsov and Van Damme. They've got 59 int caps between them and both accepted 20k per week....I would think this is round about what they would've wanted in previous versions.

No, on 11.2 Kryvtsov and Van Damme wanted £9,75K and £10,75K respectively. Just give up trying to justify this ludicrousness, will you?

Until we hear from the makers of the game (which I’m guessing will be never), we can classify this as a bug.

Van Damme starts on 20k at wolves in 11.2 so nice try with sucking figures out of thin air to justify your rant.

A bug = an unintentional error. Any thinking person would realise that this is totally intentional on SI's part.

Ok, I've played more of the game now (not really, but stupid statements are met with equally stupid ones) and the claims you are making aren't completely out of line. However, I don't know why you are getting so annoyed at every reply that is being given your way. I have noticed no change in wage demands over the last few editions really, only the introduction of agents meaning player wages are sometimes inflated. Smithies wanting 9k is not unreasonable. You are Liverpool, a team with a high reputation, and so he would know he can get more money from you. Therefore, his agent asks for more money. It's how the game works now, adapt or be left behind.

Yaya Toure is on something like 200k a week at Man City. Is he the best player around? No. But he knew he could get what he wanted, so why not ask for stupid amounts? If you're offering players like Pastore first team or key player roles (are you?) then they will demand more.

Hello lemming.

So you think your blatant (and incredibly wrong) manipulation of the figures to support your argument is right, do you? You are wrong, and therefore what I have said is more justifiable compared to your argument.

And Smithies will come to Arsenal on 11.3 for <£5k a week with some sensible and skilled negotiation.

Well, I'm not sure you can call this a bug, it's possibly intentional on the part of SI that they felt it was more realistic. For example, Daniel Sturridge, on leaving Man City on a free transfer was given £65k a week at Chelsea. That's £65k for a good young player, not even a full international.

I think a lot of the players you're looking at are expecting to be first teamers and so want parity with the other first team players. Oh, and£9k a week for Smithies is a perfectly normal deal.

Van Damme starts on 20k at wolves in 11.2 so nice try with sucking figures out of thin air to justify your rant.

At least you’re right about one thing: he is on 20K a week at Wolves… but he also has a future transfer set to Standard where he will end up on the aforementioned £10,75K a week. And if you scout Kryvtsov on 11.2 you’ll see that scout says he’ll want “between £4,5K and £6,5K p/w”. Does that seem close to the £20K you gave him? You haven’t got a leg to stand on, mate.

A bug = an unintentional error. Any thinking person would realise that this is totally intentional on SI's part.

As I’ve already stated: if SI intend for this change, they would say so and end this discussion. They don’t, because the tweaked results are not how they intended. Game not working how they intended and becoming unrealistic = bug.

As I’ve already stated: if SI intend for this change, they would say so and end this discussion. They don’t, because the tweaked results are not how they intended. Game not working how they intended and becoming unrealistic = bug.

Just because they don't comment on every thread in the forum, doesn't mean that this isn't intentional. Oh, and it's really not unrealistic at all, all of those players you name in the OP would be first team, possibly key players, and so would demand parity with the other first team players in your squad.

At least you’re right about one thing: he is on 20K a week at Wolves… but he also has a future transfer set to Standard where he will end up on the aforementioned £10,75K a week. And if you scout Kryvtsov on 11.2 you’ll see that scout says he’ll want “between £4,5K and £6,5K p/w”. Does that seem close to the £20K you gave him? You haven’t got a leg to stand on, mate.

It's season 3 in my game so whatever he may have wanted before season 1 is irrelevant.

So you think your blatant (and incredibly wrong) manipulation of the figures to support your argument is right, do you? You are wrong, and therefore what I have said is more justifiable compared to your argument.

How can they be wrong? The figures I've listed are the absolute minimum wages that those players are willing to accept to be given the opportunity to play for Liverpool/Chelsea. I've even offered to upload my save as proof. If the ability to think for yourself and actually compare the changes from one update to the next constitutes as being "wrong", then I can understand how you feel.

Oh also, Hazard will sign for less than that (around £65-70k IIRC) for Chelsea, with a manager with Sunday League reputation, I know, I did it on 11.3 in an earlier save of mine. So that's just bad negotiation mate

and sissoko is at man city for 55k in mine.

One thing I'm getting fed up of is players who've been transfer listed and in the reserves for more than a year demanding more than their on now to move. Man City's players are the main culprits; surely in the real world they'd take a pay-cut to get first team football?

DMN, it might depend on personality, but I do agree. You end up being better off just waiting until they get released and they reduce their demands substantially. It's what I do with older players I want to sign as tutors. If you offer them a contract while they have a club, they want a lot more than when they are released.

I did some further testing on the save I mentioned in my opening post by adding two managers and putting in bids at the same time:

Moussa Sissoko:

Will sign for Liverpool for a minimum wage of £110K and at least a key role in the team.

Will sign for Arsenal for a minimum wage of £56K and at least a first team role in the team.

Will sign for Man United for a minimum wage of £54K and at least a first team role in the team.

Eden Hazard:

Will sign for Liverpool for a minimum wage of £92K and at least a key role in the team.

Will sign for Arsenal for a minimum wage of £54K and at least a first team role in the team.

Will sign for Man United for a minimum wage of £53K and at least a first team role in the team.

As you can see, the demands start to get ridiculous when the player expects to be given a key role in the team.

Now this is probably SI’s new idea of “compensation” for not being able to offer CL football. And I agree with that assessment – players should be willing to lower their wage demands if it means they have a chance of playing in the CL. It’s just the numbers that need tweaking.

You can’t tell me that a player like Moussa Sissoko, who is playing for a team with no European football and predicted 14th in Ligue 1, wouldn’t accept a move to the PL and Liverpool unless he was given £110K a week and a key role.

Why shouldn't he demand more if he'd be a key player in your team? Why is his wage demand ridiculous? Your test just proved he's willing to accept less with Arsenal and ManU, so he just likes Liverpool less than the other two teams.

And you can't be serious if you think 9k/wk is anything but chump change in the PL.

Why shouldn't he demand more if he'd be a key player in your team? Why is his wage demand ridiculous? Your test just proved he's willing to accept less with Arsenal and ManU, so he just likes Liverpool less than the other two teams.

This, or he is taking into account that Liverpool have cash to splash. Which is highly realistic, to demand more than he is worth.

Sigh… another one who failed to read my post properly. I’m saying the thought behind it is perfectly logical; it’s just the numbers that need tweaking.

Another way of looking at it would be the analogy of making a post in the SI general discussion forum as opposed to any other private FM forum – you expect the replies to be a little less intelligent, but not irrational.

And you can't be serious if you think 9k/wk is anything but chump change in the PL.

I was just curious why the wage demands from this player were tripled on 11.3.

I'm sure I'm not the only person sick and tired of your attitude. Everytime someone offers you an explanation, you complain and insult the person making the suggestion.

The simple option is this, don't sign those players. If you don't have the wages available, then buy someone else, even if they want more than you feel they are worth. If you do have the wages, then it doesn't really matter. Try offering a higher signing on fee to reduce the wages, or appearance fees or anything. There are loads of possible clauses allowing you to change the way in which people get paid.

I am managing in the Braziliian 2nd Division with a total wage budget of 45k a week. There was a reasonably good player playing in the Middle East whose 17.5k contract was coming to an end, I offered and he wanted 52k a week I tried a few times to lower his demands but he would not go lower than 33k a week. Now surely in this instance the agent should have simply said that he doesn't feel we have the resources to match his demands. I tried offering more and more for the other clauses but he was simply not reducing his requests.

I do not care what anyone says a 33 year old whose contract is about to expire would not want to double his wages to return home and at first demand such a high increase. People only seem to be talking about top players but I noticed in my time in the English BSP and League Two that since 11.3 it seems players are demanding a lot more in wages.

AcidBurn, thank you Sir.

lol, I am just posting what I saw and how my experiences have gone. I have seen lots of players who were earning a £500 a week want £3000 a week to join a team in the league higher than them. At the moment I do not consider it a huge problem but I do believe it is a minor annoyance. I have been able to sign enough players to bring success to my clubs, well sort of success lol.

Well, he is talking about an old, declining player returning to his home country. You are talking about young, potential superstars. If you had been talking about old players demanding those crazy wages I would've recognised the problem. Young talented footballers such as Sissoko and Pastore are bound to ask for large wages, and as you pointed out, those only apply to Liverpool (rather than Man Utd and Arsenal, as well as Man City due to own knowledge).

It's hard to say that there are wage issues when you only use examples regarding world class players, as it is likely that they will want a large pay rise to play for the best teams.

Sigh… another one who failed to read my post properly. I’m saying the thought behind it is perfectly logical; it’s just the numbers that need tweaking.

Oh? And where have you proven that the numbers are ridiculous, except to you? Sissoko wants 54k/wk, Hazard 53, why are those numbers out of line?

I was just curious why the wage demands from this player were tripled on 11.3.

Maybe it was too low.

Oh? And where have you proven that the numbers are ridiculous, except to you? Sissoko wants 54k/wk, Hazard 53, why are those numbers out of line?

Ridiculous compared to what they want as key players. You continue to baffle me with your replies... are you trolling, or are you really this stupid?

I don't see a problem, they are all top players asking for a pay rise if they are going to switch clubs, also their agents want more money for themselves and their clients

you also need to check your wage budget as a high one seems to get players/agents asking for higher wages than they would at another club

I still don't see a problem with their initial wage demands

In the MLS I have a striker who is at best a rotational player, but more likely a back-up, most of his attributes are <10 and no other clubs are interested in him with his contract set to expire in 3 months.

When I offer to sign a new contract the agent/player want 3 times his current wage, an amount equal to or even higher then some of my lower starters. I've already started to offer him a contract twice with that same silly demand and I click 'walk away' when it fails to drop lower. I can't even use the 'lower wage demands' private chat because its not available (love the interaction system /sarcasm). While I've not really had a problem with other contract negotiations (other then over priced agents), this instance and other people talking about it so much does make me think there could be a problem. Wouldn't surprise me to be honest.

Negotiate them down. Don't sign them if they want too much. My triple-Serie A winning side has a top wage of £45k, average of £18.25k. Easy.

Please... the AI doesn't always work like that, sometimes it just hits it's bottom line... like in my case I make my offer, get the counter offer, and unless I want to toss out a big sign-on fee (which I won't for a rotation/backup) the wage demand will not change at all. The AI just broken... most people about about the extreme demands of top players. Well talking about a guy that's soon to be without a contract and there is no way that player will get what they are demanding shows that the system isn't too bright. I'd rather keep the one player because he's fairly reliable if my stars get hurt, but its the unemployment office for him at the end of the season because the AI is stupid.

Please... the AI doesn't always work like that, sometimes it just hits it's bottom line... like in my case I make my offer, get the counter offer, and unless I want to toss out a big sign-on fee (which I won't for a rotation/backup) the wage demand will not change at all. The AI just broken... most people about about the extreme demands of top players. Well talking about a guy that's soon to be without a contract and there is no way that player will get what they are demanding shows that the system isn't too bright. I'd rather keep the one player because he's fairly reliable if my stars get hurt, but its the unemployment office for him at the end of the season because the AI is stupid.

Do what you'd do in real life. Offer what you want to offer, they'll ask for what they want. If you can't find a common compromise then sell them. I don't know what the problem is.

Edit: That's untrue, I do know what the problem is. Well, your perception of a problem anyway.

Archived