So I've decided to manage in Scotland

I've taken over St Mirren, fancied a challenge - and boy am I getting one. Hardly any transfer budget, and a wage budget which is around 5k less than is currently being spent.

On the other hand, 10th in the league, so can't grumble since they were predicted 12th - but this is only November. I can see my team slipping down the few places left below me.

Anyone got any tips on managing this sort of team in Scotland? I mean, I support Grimsby and have done all my life, and was very shocked to see a Grimsby reject (Grimsby now being in the BSP) at the club. Needless to say he doesn't get a game, but is that really the standard of the SPL?

To me on paper the standard is low but they play well enough to perform to a higher standard look at Celtic their strike force consists of samaras a guy who was useless at city, stokes a guy who was useless at sunderland and Murphy who was equally inept at sunderland, but rangers and Celtic both perform to a high standard in Europe

I think you just have to work on the basics. Rotate your players to maintain fitness, make sure you have good affordable players who slot well into your team setup, keep your squad as confident and motivated as you can in the circumstances. If you have a bit of good fortune you can get good results and upset stronger teams.

It's a great challenge managing these teams, particularly if you avoid cheating and exploits, you'll find any success you can get, at any level, really rewarding

Archived