2 months in to season, player still has Poor morale due to low cup win bonuses...

So, to try to save some cash for my club, I put all 3 cup bonus rewards to "low". One of my star players has had Very Poor (i.e. red) morale ever since and it's been 2 months. During a match when he scores or gets an assist his morale may go up to Okay, but the next match it's back down to Very Poor.

How long does it take for him to get over it and accept he may not get a ton of bonus $$ this year?!?!?

edit: oh and i can't talk to him about it. His Happiness option is grayed out.

Footballers are a fickle bunch aren't they......

I always put it on high...but then again I'm at the richest club in my game.

I understand that you are trying to save money but think about it like this. What if the morale boost that high bonuses gives lasts and you are able to win a cup or two? Don't you think that it would be worth it? Don't you think that you could be potential making money, through cash prizes from the competitions, instead of just saving it?

Unless you are at a club that you don't think has a chance of winning a cup....

Footballers are a fickle bunch aren't they......

I always put it on high...but then again I'm at the richest club in my game.

I understand that you are trying to save money but think about it like this. What if the morale boost that high bonuses gives lasts and you are able to win a cup or two? Don't you think that it would be worth it? Don't you think that you could be potential making money, through cash prizes from the competitions, instead of just saving it?

Unless you are at a club that you don't think has a chance of winning a cup....

Actually, almost ironically, I too am the richest club in my league. And I'll probably win the Continental Cup and League title. CL? that's another story. My intention (perhaps erroneously?) to save money was supposed to be by continuing to win, as I should, and not paying my players' rewards! Therefore saving the club some cash, right? lol. Perhaps not, as you are right, maybe I'll end up not winning due to the low rewards...By trying to save money, I just end up losing money. Oh the irony!

• 1 month later...

Im having the same problem, although all i have to do is avoid relegation from the championship with peterborough. I won the first 5 games of the season but have only 1 win in last 9 since and cant get morale up at all, it seems to affect my whole squad although they dont all have the 'press release' icon. Most annoying thing is you cant interact with any form of unhappiness and my morale according to my assistant was 'rock bottom' when i was top of the league :\ It should be a positive for me as i cant see my getting relegated, but is so frustrating especially given i won 5/5 to start the season.

I dont have hard facts (though im sure someone does) but I know for a fact from previous versions of FM that some players (dependant on personality I presume) are heavily affected by bonus promises. I played Man City back on FM8 and Robinho had 'delighted he will be rewarded for winning the cup' (or somesuch) this lasted the entire season (until we won said cup) Other times Ive seen it give more temporary boosts.

So its probably that this one dude of yours is just very greedy and not very professional (personality wise) The Captains issue is another thing entirely though that I dont full understand.

Ive managed to get most of my morale up tonight through lots of player interaction on almost any topic i can try. Hopefully it lasts, although the players on 'very poor' due to the win bonuses are still on 'very poor'.

Just keep on winning and keep him away for a while. He will get his piece of mind and will come calling for the opportunities to play. Give him chance if he agrees to play well, his morale will improve. But the most important thing never keep the league bonus low.

Archived