Im sorry but its ridiculous.

Im already heavy favourites against Coventry, they down to 9 men after 16 mins, and 8 after 55, and we draw 0-0.

Now this wouldnt happen. Sorry but dont say oh yes it could or whatever. 21 shots later, 65% possession later, we dont score.

Dont be silly. Against 10 men, i agree it could happen. Against 9 men, maybe. Against 8...no.

Thats stupid. Constantly we were through and for some reason they shoot miles wide.

Ridiculous.

You will get two things about to come at you: It's your tactics, and it's realistic.

I'm not saying either are wrong, I'm just saying you're unlucky. It's annoying, it's frustrating, but that is football I'm afraid mate, sometimes ridiculous things happen. Hopefully you'll beat em next time.

Did you open space to draw the Coventry players out of position and use all of the pitch?

Did you target the most advanced player to force quick possession turnarounds?

Did you ensure your full backs were on attack duties to open up passing angles in the final third?

These are just three logical things you could/should have done. All of which would seriously compromise any team with players missing. There are also many more possibilities you could have tried to unlock the defence.

IRL Bristol Rovers v Luton 07-08 season, luton had 9 men for long time went down to 8 for last 15. This was when they were in the relegation zone and had a 10 point deduction and had to sell many. They drew that game 1-1. It's football, it happens!

Oh no my players and tactics let me down I better spit the dummy and refuse to play the game ever again

really **** happens it part of FM trying to give a balanced realistic game I've won some I should've lost, lost some I should've won and drawn some that deserved a draw it all adds to the game experience and everyone on here will tell you 14pts from a possible 18pts is a great start to any league

Better getting that draw then losing a 2-0 lead and then the match 3-2 with all 3 opponent goals getting scored after they were down to 9 men. That was truly pathetic, and to say its players getting complacent is a poor argument, because it doesn't show in their motivation and I always give the 'expect performance not to drop' or 'don't get complacent' talks when up at the half. All it is is the game calculating the result before the match and then meeting that result in a moronically frustrating way.

When will people get that team talks are context dependent? "Expect performance not to drop' or 'don't get complacent' should only be used when your team is expected to win and is winning, but doesn't deserve to. There's no magic pattern that connects score to good team talk choice.

When will people get that team talks are context dependent? "Expect performance not to drop' or 'don't get complacent' should only be used when your team is expected to win and is winning, but doesn't deserve to. There's no magic pattern that connects score to good team talk choice.

Not sure I agree with that. Am fighting relegation and was 2-0 up at half time against league leaders. Used expect performance not to drop and we continued to dominate and ran out 2-1 winners as they got a soft penalty decision

It came as the 6th game of my reading save. Winning 4 and drawing 1 of previous 5. Its completed ruined my mood, and I now cant really be bothered to continue playing it...

Do you have someone to pick up your toys, i'm afraid there is really no hope for you and this game.... bin it mate!

Better getting that draw then losing a 2-0 lead and then the match 3-2 with all 3 opponent goals getting scored after they were down to 9 men. That was truly pathetic, and to say its players getting complacent is a poor argument, because it doesn't show in their motivation and I always give the 'expect performance not to drop' or 'don't get complacent' talks when up at the half. All it is is the game calculating the result before the match and then meeting that result in a moronically frustrating way.

Don't get complacent was the holy grail for 10.0/10.1. Games come a long way since then

LOL... my team are favorites 90% of the time and like I said, only use them when already leading at the half. Believe me, it's not hard to figure out the shallow team talks. Maybe if there were more then 5-6 painfully obvious talks it would be better but it's not hard to get right.

But again, in regards tot he situation of ridiculous results it has no baring when most of the team shows a positive motivation and none of the others show disinterested or complacent motivation. There are simply occasions when the ME completely fails to represent the calculated result effectively.

"Now this wouldn't happen"

Have you ever actually watched football? When has anything in football ever been set in stone to 'never happen'? Noone would have expected Ben Foster to be beaten by Paul Robinsons goal kick; noone would have expected that torn up turf to cause Robinson to miss the ball in the WCQ; noone ever expected to see a 3rd yellow card be dished out to the same player.

Now I'm not saying the match engine is perfect but without that and looking statistically you could have won this match - you had 21 shots...how many on target? You had the major of possession...so are you just passing it infront of their back line?

Football isn't a forgone conclusion before the kick off, it might seem like it but it is as random as the weather. If you want to keep dry in the rain you use an umbrella. If you want to beat 9 men you take advance, not just tick 'OVERLOAD'

"Now this wouldn't happen"

Have you ever actually watched football? When has anything in football ever been set in stone to 'never happen'? Noone would have expected Ben Foster to be beaten by Paul Robinsons goal kick; noone would have expected that torn up turf to cause Robinson to miss the ball in the WCQ; noone ever expected to see a 3rd yellow card be dished out to the same player.

'

Yep, that's the thing about sport. There are never any certainties, and sometimes things happen that defy logic.

In a FM sense, as well as in real life, that doesn't mean they happened for no reason, of course. There are always reasons - whether it's down to tactics, motivation, or luck. How a player understands, and reacts to, those reasons is what separates the good players from the mediocre.

I've noticed that having players sent off or playing against 9 or 10 men makes no difference. I can pretty much tell after 15 minutes wether I'll win or lose and nothing that happens on the pitch will change that. After 15 minutes I can usually tell if I made the right pre-match or not and that has already decided the result. Not intenianaly but thats seems to overpower all the other code.

Thats how it seems to me after 5 or 6 seasons.

Did you open space to draw the Coventry players out of position and use all of the pitch?

Did you target the most advanced player to force quick possession turnarounds?

Did you ensure your full backs were on attack duties to open up passing angles in the final third?

These are just three logical things you could/should have done. All of which would seriously compromise any team with players missing. There are also many more possibilities you could have tried to unlock the defence.

Or as I suspect, did sod all and just expected to win, shame he didn't lose really!

You will get two things about to come at you: It's your tactics, and it's realistic.

I'm not saying either are wrong, I'm just saying you're unlucky. It's annoying, it's frustrating, but that is football I'm afraid mate, sometimes ridiculous things happen. Hopefully you'll beat em next time.

I agree with Bracken..... Silly things like this do happen from time to time in FM but we have to grit our teeth, slam a few doors, kick the dog and get on with it....hahaha!

Let's be honest, overall it's a fantastic game but we do have a few daft things going on that we have to try and live with.

Archived