FM05 banned in China

MSN had a list of banned games and amongst all the violence and sex was football manager 2005. Sorry if this is common knowledge but I was surprised to see it as a banned game on the list of 15 banned games, apparently recognising Tibet as an independent country meant it was banned. I never knew this at all.

An international version was later released, removing the offending teams. A statement from developers Sports Interactive pointed out that at the time of the ban, the game had not yet been released in China. Therefore the games they were protesting about were in fact illegally pirated copies.

*rolleyes*

This is normal chinese behaviour when a game does not conform to their world view.

Any game that has Tibet and/or Taiwan as independent countries, the chinese will ban it.

Also they dislike when their history is shown is any unwanted way. Like the Paradox Interactive game Hearts of Iron 2 (and 3), where China doesn't start as one nation in 1936. But actually (historically correct I might add) as a group of seperate nations, most under the rule of warlords. It wasn't until the japanese invasion did they form a united front. Because communist China does not recognize that the seperate states ever existed, the game was banned.

Its just the way some countrys are, germany is another place where a lot of games get banned.
As far as I know, here in Germany games only get banned for offending the constitution (e.g. left-/right-wing extremist messages) which is okay in my view. Games that contain a lot of violence don't get banned, they may not be promoted and not sold to minors.

EDIT: Oh I correct myself. I just found out that e.g. Command & Conquer is on the index, so my anti-constitution explanation was wrong. But again, it doesn't mean it's illegal to have such a game, it just means the ware can only be sold to people aged 18+. Theoretically... ;):D

Indeed ... always sad when people roll-over to appease oppressive regimes, just to earn a few more bucks.

To be fair to SI, it's not really their company mission to fight for democracy and human rights in China, equally i couldn't see SEGA wanting to fall foul of Chinese censorship.

I did lol at the pirated copies though :D

not every country treat their territory the way UK treat their captured northern ireland.

saying that tibet and taiwan is another independent country is just simply stepping into another country's front door.

Taiwan is an independent country with a democratically elected government. If China ever becomes a multiparty state maybe Taiwan will return.

Archived