Why Won't FM Let Me Play Against Myself?

OK, it's pre-season and a lot of players need match practice, so I reckon that playing my first team against my reserves would be a good idea. 22 players gaining match fitness in one go.

So I pick my first team starting 11 and 5 subs and make all the rest available for the reserves.

My Ass Man is managing the reserves and doesn't pick a single one of them. Bugger!

Trying to be clever I take control of my reserves and arrange another match. Same scenario, and I get to select the reserve line up, exscept this time it won't let me pick any of the first team squad who've been made available because they're in the other squad!! WTF!

Even worse, when I finalise my reserve team the game simply refuses to continue. The only thing I can do is go on holiday for a day. When I get back NEITHER line up was the one I picked and none of the first team squad got picked for the reserves.

Surely it's not too much of an ask to be able to pick both teams myself and use any player from any squad in either team when playing agianst myself?

And while I'm having a moan, why do staff apply for "Youth Coach" jobs and then refuse to accept anything other than a "Coach" job? Out of 6 applicants for the vacancy I placed 2 of them (the best 2) refused to accept the job when I offered and kept insisting on a job as a Coach.

OK, feeling a little better having got that off my chest (it was either post this or punch the screen, and whilst the latter may have brought a more instant feeling of satisfaction it would not have lasted when I realised I'd broken my laptop!! :) )

You'll go blind... ;)

//edit...

when you go on holiday, check the "use current formation/lineup if possible" option [don't remember if it's called exactly like that, but that's the gist of it]

when you start a new saved game, your assistant suggest you play a scratch match against your reserves.

other times when you are organising fixtures, when you create a new fixture, when you go to select the club you wish to play against, your reserves should be in the initial list.

And yes, you are a dirty dirty person, wanting to play with yourself during playing FM

in answer to the title: use your other hand

In answer to your post, AFAIK if you make a number of players available for the reserves and then pick the reserve team (don't take control, just pick it like the first team) the ass-man/coach will use the team you've picked. (or maybe I got lucky and he happened to pick the same team I did?)

SI should seriously consider incorporating CM10's ability to arrange intra-squad friendlies with control over both sides without fiddling around with these things, so you can easily mess around with tactics and stuff.

SI should seriously consider incorporating CM10's ability to arrange intra-squad friendlies with control over both sides without fiddling around with these things, so you can easily mess around with tactics and stuff.

I would like it if we could do this.

I also laughed at the title.

If you want to play a game like the one you ask about, I think you'll have to MOVE the players from the first team to the reserves, not just make them available. 'Cause if you just make them available they're "locked" to the first team. But even on the match squad selection screen you can move them to your reserves. Ok?

If you want to play a game like the one you ask about, I think you'll have to MOVE the players from the first team to the reserves, not just make them available. 'Cause if you just make them available they're "locked" to the first team. But even on the match squad selection screen you can move them to your reserves. Ok?

That will make them unhappy though!

The essential thing is that we should be able to split our squad into an arbitrary number of teams, but register one of them as a reserve team and one as a youth team - and allow us to play intra-squad friendlies with intra-squad substitutions and moves during the match.

Archived