Germany Fail to Qualify WC 2014; Scotland Go Undefeated

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/bababui_2007/0fmworldcup.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/bababui_2007/0fmworldcupglitch.jpg

Germany always seems to be underpowered in the FM series but isnt this a little ridiculous? Especially with Germanys' current crop of excellent young players?

And mightn't Scotland be a little overpowered? Conceding only 4 goals?

Also there is a glitch in the interface. Notice how it says that both Germany and Turkey qualified for the playoffs. But this is just after Turkey knocked Germany out of the playoffs.

think due to licencing issues, SI can't use the real German internationals, so if you check one of their games, all players will be of the grey variety!

As to scotland.......guess the only reason could be over zealous researchers putting stats in too high?

think due to licencing issues, SI can't use the real German internationals, so if you check one of their games, all players will be of the grey variety!

As to scotland.......guess the only reason could be over zealous researchers putting stats in too high?

All the real German players are in the game though. Just use the real player stats and slap fictitious names on them??

You can get funny results in football. It's quite possible for significantly weaker sides to hold stronger sides out, and even score against them through counterattacking play.

In my game, Morocco won the world cup in 2014. Now on the face of it, that seems strange - but they got a flukey draw. They were in a group with Italy, Iran, and Norway, so they were good enough to get second without too many issues. Their knockout games were against Cameroon, then Nigeria, then Uruguay in the semis. Then they beat Argentina 1-0 in the final.

It can plausibly happen in real life, so it's something you should see happening in a good simulation. And that's what we have.

If you look at Scotlands group I'd expect them to go undefeated too, hardly any difficult nations there plus their current young players will be mid 20's by 2014 so the mental stats will be up too

Slovakia is an up and coming footie nation. And its hard for the most powerful footballing countries to go undefeated through group play.

Look at these groups..they look really unbalanced. Could this be a bug in the draw for the group phase?

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/bababui_2007/0fmworldcup1.jpg

You can get funny results in football. It's quite possible for significantly weaker sides to hold stronger sides out, and even score against them through counterattacking play.

In my game, Morocco won the world cup in 2014. Now on the face of it, that seems strange - but they got a flukey draw. They were in a group with Italy, Iran, and Norway, so they were good enough to get second without too many issues. Their knockout games were against Cameroon, then Nigeria, then Uruguay in the semis. Then they beat Argentina 1-0 in the final.

It can plausibly happen in real life, so it's something you should see happening in a good simulation. And that's what we have.

I dont disagree..especially in the WC where the draw has to be geographically balanced. But in the Euro qualifying where the qualifying groups are supposed to be balanced doesnt there seem to be something broken with these groups?

If you look at Scotlands group I'd expect them to go undefeated too, hardly any difficult nations there plus their current young players will be mid 20's by 2014 so the mental stats will be up too

If that was a real life group I'd expect Scotland to lose to at least Slovakia and probably Cyprus away too. And Quite possibly Lithuania aswell.

Slovakia is an up and coming footie nation. And its hard for the most powerful footballing countries to go undefeated through group play.

Look at these groups..they look really unbalanced. Could this be a bug in the draw for the group phase?

It depends on the Euro 2012 qualifier positions so some bigger nations may have underperformed meaning they were in lower seeded groups than normal

I've seen the Northern Ireland reach the semi-final in the 2012EC... so, no surprise for me that this could happen.

I think that one of the problems are the group draw in the WC/EC finals.

Sometimes there are groups of this kind: Italy, Brazil, Spain, Gana.

And others like this: Qatar, Marocoo, Peru, Slovakia (sorry if offend someone, it's only an example).

The result of this would be that, in one group, 2 great teams would be knock out and in the other, 2 "not so big" teams, would reach the next fase. With luck in the draw and in the matches, they even could reach the semi-final or the final.

In reality there are some cases of that kind of "luck", but not so extreme. Remember Denmark in 1992 or Greece in 2004? None of them were favorites to win but they did...

If that was a real life group I'd expect Scotland to lose to at least Slovakia and probably Cyprus away too. And Quite possibly Lithuania aswell.

I would bet as a vivid Scotland fan we're more likely to lose to Lativa than either of those two.

I expect this is because Premiership players, including those of Scottish nationality are overrated in game :thup:

Actually, those groups look fairly balanced - reasonable mixes of stronger and weaker nations in all three.

The group I'm not certain about is Scotland's group - do you happen to know the FIFA world rankings of the nations involved at the time of the draw? Assuming the qualification for 2014 is the same as 2010, the groups were all seeded that way.

Would it not also depend on what leagues you're running, database size etc? Can't comment on the licensing problems but I know in my old games on my old low spec machine only really the nations with domestic leagues I was running seemed to do any good, which was pretty much just the UK and a couple of European ones...

In the one that I refer the only leagues running are Spain, England, Italy, Portugal, Germany, France, Holland, Russia, Brazil and Argentina. No Northern Ireland league... But they have lots of players in Premier League. And they could be all overrated, as someone said.

I think that is perfectly plausible, as long as it doesn't happen regularly. None of those teams are miles better than Scotland, though Slovakia and Latvia are roughly on their level. Looking at that group, it seems to be low scoring generally, so maybe Latvia had an important attacker injured for most of the qualifying, or Hamsik got sent off and was suspended for both matches against Scotland.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/bababui_2007/0fmworldbest1-25.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/bababui_2007/0fmworldbest26-50.jpg

What odd FIFA rankings. Im at Dec 31, 2013. I have all leagues loaded except Singapore and India. How can Germany possibly be 31st in the world?

LMAO El Salvador are 34th :D

Although it's unlikely that Scotland would ever go unbeaten in 9 games, the teams they are playing are not collectively strong at all. It's perfectly plausible that Germany would screw their group up too. This happens in football, especially in tournaments, England euro 2008 anyone? It happens.

Although it's unlikely that Scotland would ever go unbeaten in 9 games, the teams they are playing are not collectively strong at all. It's perfectly plausible that Germany would screw their group up too. This happens in football, especially in tournaments, England euro 2008 anyone? It happens.

Has Germany ever failed to qualify for any international tourney? Not that it cant happen but its highly unlikely.

Has Germany ever failed to qualify for any international tourney? Not that it cant happen but its highly unlikely.

No, but the point is that if it can happen to Holland and England, it can happen to germany. Even Argentina nearly made a **** up of their last WC qualifying campaign, and against poor competition too.

It's not highly unlikely, just unlikely.

No, but the point is that if it can happen to Holland and England, it can happen to germany. Even Argentina nearly made a **** up of their last WC qualifying campaign, and against poor competition too.

It's not highly unlikely, just unlikely.

Very true!! And England are ranked higher than Brazil in my game. I suppose all this actually makes the game more fun.

Archived