Goalkeeping horrible.

Ok I put this in Bugs forum but I'am getting no response and its ****ing me off. How come keepers can get scored on so easily now by players who have low striker ability?? Also Keepers never hang onto the ball whether it be a screamer(Which I could understand) and a slow moving ball.

Now please I would just like a little insight into why my keeper never moves to give chase to a ball shot at him. Its really annoying and its making me irradiated. Is there a workaround or somwthing to make keepers a little more active. Thanks.

Ok I put this in Bugs forum but I'am getting no response and its ****ing me off. How come keepers can get scored on so easily now by players who have low striker ability?? Also Keepers never hang onto the ball whether it be a screamer(Which I could understand) and a slow moving ball.

Now please I would just like a little insight into why my keeper never moves to give chase to a ball shot at him. Its really annoying and its making me irradiated. Is there a workaround or somwthing to make keepers a little more active. Thanks.

Guest picollomaster

Agree completely. Goalkeepers are simply horrible and therefore we have these ridiculous scores. Something MUST be done about it, it has ruined the game for me

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bugs forum but I'am getting no response and its ****ing me off. How come keepers can get scored on so easily now by players who have low striker ability?? Also Keepers never hang onto the ball whether it be a screamer(Which I could understand) and a slow moving ball. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't say i've had any problem with my keepers.

Whether he hangs onto the ball is determined primarily by his handling, so this could be the cause.

Also, you have to consider the consistancy stat, as this is hidden from you it could easily be the cause of your problems.

Your keeper might not move to give chase to a ball for a number of reasons:

1/ Low rushing out stat

2/ Low decisions

3/ your tactics tell him never to close down

there's no need for a "workaround" as it isn't really a bug, (having conceded 12 in an entire season i can assure you, the right keeper will do a good job) it could just be your tactics/ the keepers stats.

There is also luck to consider. You just be having a "paul robinson moment" where the GK is good, he is just having rotten luck which has ruined his confidence; perhaps rotate your GK for a month or so?

Lastly, you talk about players with "low striker ability" i used to make the error that you have just made - even strikers with low ability score against good teams, consider how many "lesser" players have scored against petr cech (sibierski anyone?) i know it can be frustrating, but stats are a general reflection of what should happen OVER A SEASON - in individual games, there are many factors that influence players to the extent that they may well perform above their normal level.

NB: Barnsley Boy - is this the only time this has happened to your GK in your current game? If it isn't then i guess it could just be an issue with the game throwing up rare occurances a little too often, but if it doesn't happen again then i wouldn't worry.

Hope this helps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnsleyboy:

It is the first time as I am only 3 games in so I hope it is a one off. I understand that keeps have "shockers". What I am saying is this keeper was fine before the patch and now is terrible. I am conceeding way too many goals </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure it is to do with your keeper then. One of my tactic sets that worked fine for 8.0.1 was dismal after the patch - it could be that your tactics no longer work and hence the keeper is having a nightmare of a time.

Also, as you're only 3 games in, it isn't the best time to be looking at form etc - wait until a full season has passed and then compare results - in my current save i conceded 9 of my 12 goals in the first 10 games, and only conceded 3 in the remaining 40 something games.

Before people were complaining strikers missed too many one on ones, now people are complaining goalkeepers fail to save enough icon_rolleyes.gif

I bet those people complaining about strikers missing didn't mind their goalkeeper saving lots and those people now complaining about their goalkeeper don't mind seeing the opposition 'keeper fail to save a few!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

Before people were complaining strikers missed too many one on ones, now people are complaining goalkeepers fail to save enough icon_rolleyes.gif

I bet those people complaining about strikers missing didn't mind their goalkeeper saving lots and those people now complaining about their goalkeeper don't mind seeing the opposition 'keeper fail to save a few! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

People will always complain.

And people will always complain about other people complaining....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ched:

People will always complain.

And people will always complain about other people complaining.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm getting quite fed up of people complaining about people complaining...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Even strikers with low ability score against good teams, consider how many "lesser" players have scored against petr cech (sibierski anyone?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True - but it was one heck of a goal scored by Sibierski!

Are people projecting their goalkeeping problems onto the patch? I'm still playing FM07 (7.0.2) and I go through three or four keepers every two years trying to find a 'good' one. My current first choice keeper was letting in > 2 goals a game for the first two months - similar to the issue the OP has with his keeper in 8.0.2.

i had a problem with my keeper. playing as arsenal v sevilla, 90th min 3-1 and for some reason my keeper (akinfeev ) handles outside the area! there was absoulty no reason for it, it was just a long through ball and no one else near him! so its a straight red, and my well mess up my whole champions league run!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnsleyboy:

It is the first time as I am only 3 games in so I hope it is a one off. I understand that keeps have "shockers". What I am saying is this keeper was fine before the patch and now is terrible. I am conceeding way too many goals </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In farness I would always allow more games say 1/2 to 1 season completed before making these kind of statements so that you can make a more subjective analysis....just a thought icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

I bet those people complaining about strikers missing didn't mind their goalkeeper saving lots and those people now complaining about their goalkeeper don't mind seeing the opposition 'keeper fail to save a few! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

except that people in this thread aren't complaining about goalies conceeding more one on ones, they're complaining about them having too poor handling and making too many simple mistakes. so your point was irrelevant, although i suspect you didn't really have a point to make

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kill Rock Stars:

except that people in this thread aren't complaining about goalies conceeding more one on ones, they're complaining about them having too poor handling and making too many simple mistakes. so your point was irrelevant, although i suspect you didn't really have a point to make </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What absolute nonsense, of course his point remians. The fact is a majority of people complained about 1 on 1's and missing them because of "super keepers", Si have made the keepers less invincible and these same people are complaining.

Are you seriously suggesting that the game should have been coded so that keepers are perfectly capable when dealing with a shot....except for one on ones?

This is an old old problem that I remember occuring in FM05, 06 and 07 and on each of these occasions the forums were full of people moaning about super keepers etc.

A happy medium is impossible for SI to achieve especially with the relish that some members seem to take in jumping on a bandwagon.

The original poster complained about his goalkeeper conceding too many goals to strikers of low ability and of not moving to save balls shot at him. I'd imagine some or all of those cases are one on ones, but it doesn't matter how they were scored - the point is before people complained about strikers missing, now people complain about goalkeepers not saving enough. It's all just a matter of opinion - whatever the case is someone will complain one way or the other.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

Are you seriously suggesting that the game should have been coded so that keepers are perfectly capable when dealing with a shot....except for one on ones?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

eh? where on earth did i say that? i seriously have no idea what point you're trying to prove there

i'll try to make this as simple as possible:

in 8.01 keepers were too effective at saving one on ones (or strikers were too poor at finishing them, or a combination of both)

in 8.02 this seems to be a lot better, but keepers now seem to be ineffectual against long shots, and make strange mistakes such as letting the ball bounce over them, or occasionally ignoring the ball. they also might have suspect handling, in that they don't hold on to as many shots as they should

the opening poster mentioned that in his experience, keepers don't keep hold of enough shots. subsequent posters mentioned problems such as keepers making mistakes, overly high scorelines, whilst others pointed out how these might not be bugs, and what might be causing this

glamdring then said this

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Before people were complaining strikers missed too many one on ones, now people are complaining goalkeepers fail to save enough icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what on earth has that comment got to do with what people have already said?

The original poster complained about his goalkeeper conceding too many goals to strikers of low ability and of not moving to save balls shot at him. I'd imagine some or all of those cases are one on ones, but it doesn't matter how they were scored - the point is before people complained about strikers missing, now people complain about goalkeepers not saving enough. It's all just a matter of opinion - whatever the case is someone will complain one way or the other. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well it kind of does matter how they were scored, because a problem with keepers being too good at one on ones has nothing to do with whether or not they're letting in too many shots from range. for a start the game uses completely different attributes for governing each. getting the balance right is important for the sake of the game's realism

it just seemed like you wanted to have a moan about it for the sake of it

It matters how they are scored when it comes to statistics, something that can actually be used to improve the game. Otherwise it is just a random opinion with nothing to back it up that is of any help to actually improving goalkeepers. That is what I meant by it all just being down to opinions with people complaining about too many goals, too few goals and all that.

Goal scoring and saving, like everything else in the game comes down to calculations and the end result can only be measured against properly gathered statistics of long shots scored, one on ones scored or missed, handling errors etc etc. There have been plenty of handling errors from high profile 'keepers in real life this season though so they are not that unrealistic if it is just the odd example that people dredge up as their "evidence"

His point is that the goalkeepers fail to save enough, whilst there is an inference that it relates to one on ones it is not necessarily the case and so can be judged as a response to include poor handling etc.

My point is that the keepers have obviously been toned down because of the supposed issues pre patch, this may have been an attempt to avoid the one on one debacle but has affected their in game handling etc. This would, I suppose, be the easiest option, as opposed to Si having th game coded so that keepers aren't as good in a one on one situation but just as good as usual in ordinary play.

Now i've said it time and again on these forums as people complain but no-one has ever answered me, what would be the happy medium for the game to have realistic shot stopping keepers with realsitic scoring strikers, on top of this what would be the realistic amount of chances per game etc? These are ridiculous questions bu these are the questions people are asking SI to answer as they create a patch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

Now i've said it time and again on these forums as people complain but no-one has ever answered me, what would be the happy medium for the game to have realistic shot stopping keepers with realsitic scoring strikers, on top of this what would be the realistic amount of chances per game etc? These are ridiculous questions bu these are the questions people are asking SI to answer as they create a patch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think people fail to answer you because you haven't actually asked a question there. a happy medium would be realistic goalies and realistic strikers, and a realistic number of chances would be, on average, the number of chances that took place per game in real life. that's just stating the obvious.

to achieve this perfectly is unrealistic, of course, but very few people are asking for that, they're just asking for it to be more realistic than it currently is. so when si fix one aspect of the match engine but negatively affect another, you can't blame that on people who were just asking for the first aspect to be fixed

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hauler24:

How come keepers can get scored on so easily now by players who have low striker ability?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't Liverpool conceed against Barnsley and Havent & Waterlooville? See it happens in real life icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kill Rock Stars:

i think people fail to answer you because you haven't actually asked a question there. a happy medium would be realistic goalies and realistic strikers, and a realistic number of chances would be, on average, the number of chances that took place per game in real life. that's just stating the obvious.

to achieve this perfectly is unrealistic, of course, but very few people are asking for that, they're just asking for it to be more realistic than it currently is. so when si fix one aspect of the match engine but negatively affect another, you can't blame that on people who were just asking for the first aspect to be fixed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But what is realism, that's my point icon_biggrin.gif

People keep harping on about realistic strikers and goalkeepers, one mans realism is another man's madness.

As for the average chances per game IRL, this would be almost impossible. If someone spends 12 years at Hibs and ends up with a team of International class players who are strolling the CL every year, they will hardly be satisfied with the same chances as averaged in the SPL in 2008.

In the same context, few leagues around the world would have game after game, season after season with over 20 shots/highlights a game. If SI made it relaistic there would be games with just 1 highlight overall. This is a computer game after all and has to be entertaining, how many people would enjoy a mid table season as Boro for instance in which you experience a lot of 1-1 or 0-0 draws, with very few highlights in between? Si are in this to make money, and they do that by making the game entertaining whilst incorporating an element of realism.

i don't think the game has to sacrifice realism for the sake of entertainment. if that was the case no one would watch football irl, because not enough would happen during a game

remember a chance doesn't have to be a shot on target. a cross that narrowly misses an attacking player, a great move that breaks down on the final pass, a great covering tackle, etc - all are things that need a bit more representation in the game, that could serve to replace an inflated shot count

i don't think the game has to sacrifice realism for the sake of entertainment. if that was the case no one would watch football irl, because not enough would happen during a game

remember a chance doesn't have to be a shot on target. a cross that narrowly misses an attacking player, a great move that breaks down on the final pass, a great covering tackle, etc - all are things that need a bit more representation in the game, that could serve to replace an inflated shot count </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm not advocating entertainment at the cost of gameplay, or saying that improvements aren't needed.

I'm just fed up with people complaining yet giving little or no options for rectification.

IMO 8.0.2 should never have been released considering it isn't that good. I think SI should have ignored the suggestions on these forums and remained focussed on improving for FM09 and making as sure as possible that it is bug free.

8.0.2 was rushed and I believe the main reason for this was the amount of blethering on this forum by people who offered no solutions of their own. You only need to scroll down this forum to see that nearly every other post is someone ranting about something or other, yet these are the people who don't post in the bugs forums and don't upload save games, so as SI can test these so called bugs.

Archived