FM12: Please stop a 2 goals scorer from taking a penalty to complete a hat-trick.

I have no problem with this feature if my team is leading by a comfortable scoreline or if the 2 goals scorer is the designated pk taker or if he is a selfish player(maybe teamwork low). But if it's a 2-2 scoreline or something similar and I need that goal, the designated pk taker should be the 1 taking the crucial pk.

So in FM12, I would hope to see this change to a '2 goals scorer should only be allowed to complete his hat-trick if the team is leading by 2-3 goals' or if he is designated pk taker.

I have noticed this too and everytime (not just once in a while) I have had a penalty and I have someone on 2 goals they take the penalty to try to get a hat-trick.

The players have not been selfish players or high maverick type stats (central defenders) so I agree that as a manager there should be a way to stop this or the game should only allow this to happen in a very small amount of situations.

Agreed...

And where did they get this idea from anyway?

There are designated PK takers for a reason, and it's a rare occurrence having players arguing about it (usually selfish and hotheaded players) or disregarding the manager's instructions.

But to be honest I've never seen a player on 2 goals taking the penalty to get the hat-trick, surely NOT unless he was a designated taker to begin with.

Only when the scoreline is absolutely safe AND there is some sort of "special occasion" we can see an unusual choice, but that's indeed a once-a-year event.

It has been suggested that before the penalty is taken by the player trying for the hat trick, the game stops and asks for confirmation from the manager before proceeding- this woukld be a good compromise IMO

Or if the game was just a bit more sensible about it.

For example if the player is 3rd on your list of penalty takers and you have a 1 goal lead in the final 30 minutes then let them take it.

But if the player isn't on your list at all then the game will only let them take it if you're 2 or more goals up and are into the last 10 minutes of the game.

The problem with asking for confirmation is that I would put money on a good number of people then bitching that its not realistic as during a match a team won't consult with their manager who should take the penalty.

or just my thinking considering this happened IRL to sunderland last season, it happens during the game the first time, but you can tell the players off for it (the one taking the penalty, and the one meant to take the penalty)

as i know it happened for sunderland as Jones grabbed the ball and took the penalty when it was Bent's job, Bruce apparently had a word with both of them to make sure it didnt happen again

It has been suggested that before the penalty is taken by the player trying for the hat trick, the game stops and asks for confirmation from the manager before proceeding- this woukld be a good compromise IMO

Something along these lines is the way forward imo.

I think it should depend on their stats, hidden and visible. If it's in someones character to be a bit controversial and to do their own thing, then if they're on 2 goals, they might well demand to take the kick. If they're a good boy who listens to your instructions, he'll back off and let the guy you appointed take it.

Agreed...

And where did they get this idea from anyway?

There are designated PK takers for a reason, and it's a rare occurrence having players arguing about it (usually selfish and hotheaded players) or disregarding the manager's instructions.

But to be honest I've never seen a player on 2 goals taking the penalty to get the hat-trick, surely NOT unless he was a designated taker to begin with.

Only when the scoreline is absolutely safe AND there is some sort of "special occasion" we can see an unusual choice, but that's indeed a once-a-year event.

If anything, it appears to be the opposite! How many times do we see managers taking off players who have scored 2 goals, or where Lampard nicks Drogba's hat-trick because Lampard is the designated penalty taker for Chelsea in real-life?

Not even going to bother wasting my time reading the posts, just responding to the title...

If this situation comes up in a game with someone on a hattrick and you get a PK the game to ask you if you want to let the guy go for it or not, or just not do it automatically if the game is close, tied, or you are losing.

It's just moronic to not consider the situation of being down 3-2 and the guy with the 2 goals is crap from the spot but he get to go for his hat-trick. Why is common sense so hard to get in the game?

definetly gotta be this

This would work for me as well.:thup:

Ooh, I was one of the people who suggested this :)

when it happened between bent and jones we were leading 2-1

I've seen it happen at Luton when we were 3-0 or 3-1 in the 90th minute. Our striker still didn't let our defender have a chance of his hat-trick.

Also, I don't really see how it's such a joke as many people put it. In FM10 it used to be if you were 2/3 goals up but on FM11 it still seems a bit random. It could be a nice feature so I'm another :thup:+1 for the conformation box.

Have never had a problem with the hat-trick player take it myself (they've always scored as far as I remember), but I like the idea of the confirmation, seems a good idea. Also, if they're a selfish player and the manager chooses not to let them take the penalty, they could become unhappy, would be an interesting thing to deal with.

Getting to confirm it either way would be ideal.

Of course, a further step would be that occasionally, your decision has a knock-on effect. Perhaps your designated taker has a low teamwork attribute, or is generally a selfish player, his morale might drop because he didn't get to take it. Or conversely, the guy who was on a hat-trick who you refuse to let take it, watches as the designated taker misses and consequently has an element of frustration because he felt he'd score. Again, I stress the word occasionally, perhaps even less frequently than that. Certainly wouldn't want it happening every time!

I think it's even better if you could tick/untick this option in your penalty instruction page. No unnecessary pauses on gameplay.

To be honest I don't think it should be in the game at all. If I want to override someone for fun (i.e. a "testimonial"), then I can do it manually. I simply can't think of any scenarios where it has happened in real-life - has it actually happened? If not, then it is not realisitic to be included.

Am I remembering wrongly when I say that waaaay back in the day we could select the penalty taker when it was awarded, rather than having a designated list? Or was that a different game? You could implement a tickbox that says "manually assign takers in game" which would enable a bit more flexibility in this sort of situation.

This can come down to the Decision Making of the captain. You've assigned an on the field leader here. Your captain knows they're losing 3-2 so the Captain should use their Decision Making to say "Actually no - the designated penalty taker will take this one as it's too important".

You wouldn't need any interaction in the game the captain decides.

If the option was in the game it should only come up if you're winning the game and the player on a hattrick has a chance to score a penalty should the option come up.

It should never come up if you're losing, i.e., the main penalty taker takes the penalty. If you're winning then the option comes up only then.

You could implement a tickbox

If only SI would recognise that tick boxes are the best way to select things instead of drag and drop

Contract Renewals - tick boxes of the one's you want to reknew, queue rolling screens of players selected - would cut out the "View Players>Click one player>Offer New Contract> then View Players>Click one player>Offer new contract x 15 times"

Penatly takers - tick boxes (or boxes that are numbered) tick a box beside a player in the order you want them to take a peno and their order number appears beside their name.

Dragging and dropping is so naff.

This.

I was really peed off, my striker hadn't scored for a while, I got penalty and thought, great a chance for him to score, when bang up steps Leon Barnett who blasts it into the upper tier of the River End, Carrow Rd!!!

That's already how it is lol. It doesn't happen when you're drawing or have a narrow lead. It only ever happens if you're leading by at least 2 goals

So in FM12, I would hope to see this change to a '2 goals scorer should only be allowed to complete his hat-trick if the team is leading by 2-3 goals' or if he is designated pk taker.

Archived