Biggest JOKE ive seen on Fm11!!!

Playing as Celtic away to AZ in the Europa Cup, AZ get 15 shots, 5 of which were on target, and score 3 goals, a bit annoying, but not what i started this thread about. i got SEVENTEEN shots, and 0 were on target, that is completely ridiculous, especially with Gary Hooper (Finishing 16, Composure 14), Georgios Samaras (Finishing 14, Composure 12, not great so i can understand him not doing great), and most stupid of all, Ruud Van Nistelrooy (Finishing 18, Composure 19). I can handle losing, i can even handle the typical keeper annoyance (getting 12 shots on target to the oppositions 1, and it finishing 1-1), but this is just beyond a joke, getting a huge number of shots, and every. single. shot. being off target. This is the kind of thing in the past thats made me get ****ed and quit the game for months at a time.

I would love to see your tactical stats. I am not saying its your tactics (like most do) but sometimes theres something that makes the difference. I had this alot aswell with my team but you need to set only your strikers and AM to shoot but not long shots. At the same time do not have long shots for wingers/wide midfielders/defenders/central mids/def mids at all. Keep strikers and AM to never attempt long shots. You might find most of those were outside the box or long shots from players that are not good at them. To me for a team like Celtic (my club aswell) you should not have anyone taking long shots unless they are 15+ at them.

Since i done this myself i have noticed that i get more goals and better shot on target results.

Good luck.

Playing as Celtic away to AZ in the Europa Cup, AZ get 15 shots, 5 of which were on target, and score 3 goals, a bit annoying, but not what i started this thread about. i got SEVENTEEN shots, and 0 were on target, that is completely ridiculous, especially with Gary Hooper (Finishing 16, Composure 14), Georgios Samaras (Finishing 14, Composure 12, not great so i can understand him not doing great), and most stupid of all, Ruud Van Nistelrooy (Finishing 18, Composure 19). I can handle losing, i can even handle the typical keeper annoyance (getting 12 shots on target to the oppositions 1, and it finishing 1-1), but this is just beyond a joke, getting a huge number of shots, and every. single. shot. being off target. This is the kind of thing in the past thats made me get ****ed and quit the game for months at a time.

I have a few questions.

1. Were you favourites to win?

2. What did you say in the pre-match press-conference?

3. What did you say in your team-talk? (including individual team-talks)

4. Did you have any other player/manager/media interaction between the last whistle of the previous game and the first whistle of this and what did you say?

5. How much possession/passes/tackles/headers/etc? (just post a screenie of the match-stats, much easier :) )

6. What ratings did your players get?

7. Do you normally win games? i.e. are you "within expectations" for other results?

I lost 4-0 to Everton whilst having more possession and more shots, the only thing was I realised my mistake I was playing my defensive line too high up and Everton were taking advantage, hence 4 goals in 30 minutes. Once I realised this and corrected it the game sorted itself out, but by then it was too late and despite an onslaught they held on to a 4-0 lead. I wasn't angry at the game but I can say it was honestly the only time I've ever played FM and been on the end of such a defeat where the opposition were by far and away the worst team of the two.

SEVENTEEN shots and none on target? I'm assuming you weren't supposed to have that much shots. But still, some of those should have been on target. I always try to setup my team so that they don't dominate too much because you tend not to get a result if you dominate and have too many shots at goal

you tend not to get a result if you dominate and have too many shots at goal

That's just not the case at all I'm afraid, most of my games (especially at home) have had similar stats to the last fixture I just played and I think it's safe to say this was a pretty dominant performance, especially considering the fact that my opponents are still very close in terms of player quality to my own in my save.

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u339/slipknot261175/CelticvRangersStats_MatchStats.png

Well in my game I hardly ever win when I'm totally dominant. What I do is allow the AI to match my team in ball possession, get it as close as I can, and I tend to win more that way.

Edit: Because the game tends to trigger the 'unlucky' mode if you're too dominant. Remember, I'm saying if you're too dominant

@Azuru, unlucky mode...seriously? If that was a serious point you were making and not sarcasm I have to say I think your talking nonsense and would suggest you read some of the excellent threads in the tactics forums by guys like wwfan and you'll realize that the amount of possession, clear cut chances, long shots etc are, when viewed in isolation a very poor indicator of what the final score of any given game should be. Having all the possession and shots in the game could simply mean your team are retaining the ball in your own half and creating chances which are unlikely to result in goals.

Winning a game with true domination is all about maintaining possession of the ball in dangerous areas (the final third), your passes being incisive as well as accurate and making sure when you create ccc's they are not of the kind that are rushed, blasted at the keeper etc.

Generally speaking I'm not a great believer in luck but to suggest that the game has been somehow programmed so that the user gets 'unlucky' at some predetermined point of domination in a game, for me just seems to suggest a lack of understanding/willing to take the time to learn how the game actually works, instead of taking the time to look in depth at the reason why you appear to lose games that you (going by match stats) would appear to have dominated.

Well in my game I hardly ever win when I'm totally dominant. What I do is allow the AI to match my team in ball possession, get it as close as I can, and I tend to win more that way.

Edit: Because the game tends to trigger the 'unlucky' mode if you're too dominant. Remember, I'm saying if you're too dominant

you always refer to the game doing all these things to determine results but you only cite your own saves as a reference. Do you think that something other than the game may be the problem?

Not what I'm sayig at all. What I'm saying is that if you're too dominant, gets lots of shots on goal, your strikers tend to play crap because you miss a lot of easy chances and as a result either end up drawing or losing the match.

Edit: and you usually end up losing the match and you get a message saying this team were unlucky not to win or whatever

You don't want to create too many chances in quick succession or you better hope you score in your first couple of shots

Not what I'm sayig at all. What I'm saying is that if you're too dominant, gets lots of shots on goal, your strikers tend to play crap because you miss a lot of easy chances and as a result either end up drawing or losing the match.

Edit: and you usually end up losing the match and you get a message saying this team were unlucky not to win or whatever

You don't want to create too many chances in quick succession or you better hope you score in your first couple of shots

obviously the more shots yo take the more chance you have of mssing some but you also have a greater chance of scoring, stop trying to warp probability into something more.

The score of a match has nothing whatsoever to do with the number of shots each team has and everything to do with the type of chances your team create for goalscoring opportunities...I really don't know an easier way to put it than that.

I get what people here are saying, it seems to happen more in FM than IRL.

Stupid things like 1 shot 1 goal. I had a draw recently were I had >20 shots, quite a few CCSs, and the opposition got 1 shot, 1 goal, and it was a long one. And the guy was incredibly poor, and had 7 in long shots. That and my defender losing headers, when he's very well positioned, and he have >16 in heading, anticipation, jumping and positioning, he's quite good overall. To a player who's shorter and have >6 heading and jumping.

Sometimes it's very frustrating when your team dominate the whole game, almost perfect (tactically speaking), and yet you end up losing/drawing. Or when your wonderful forward ends up missing tons of goals, and the opposition one ends up scoring 1 out of 1. That, obviously, happens IRL too, but seems that in FM it's way to extreme.

But most people think that, probably due to the humongous number of games played in FM compared to the number of games watched IRL, specially the ones were you'd see the stats at the half and full time.

Like SI staff already mentioned the games are calculated with the tactic/players skill/morale/and so on, but sometimes rather than being you playing the game, seems that the game is playing you.

No, their goalie teds to play amazing if you're dominant but don't score quickly, you end up losing more than you win. I like to keep things balanced so that there's quite a bit of time before each goal scoring chance, maybe allow to other team to have a little more of the ball and I seem to score more that way

Fgs...the reason the goalie has an 'amazing' game is because all your shots are going down his throat, the me see's as as him making a save, his rating goes up...as I said, this is down to the type of chances created for your strikers compounded by the fact that once they miss 1 chance their confidence drops making further misses more likely.

No, their goalie teds to play amazing if you're dominant but don't score quickly, you end up losing more than you win. I like to keep things balanced so that there's quite a bit of time before each goal scoring chance, maybe allow to other team to have a little more of the ball and I seem to score more that way

no you like to keep things balanced because you've clearly deluded yourself that when you dominate and don't win its down to the game not letting you win rather than your inability to kill off an opponent.

You dominate and all the computer does 7 out of 10 times is pack the box and mark you out of the game. I just fair better when I'm not dominant, the computer attacks and I maybe don't create that much chances but I tend to take them more when I create those chances.

Define quickly. Do you mean early on in the match? Or scoring goals in quick succession?

Either way.....

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/9554/arsenal1.png

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/8669/brem.png

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8300/chels.png

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9823/chels2.png

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/7764/citeh.png

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1374/spurs.png

Dominating and winning matches is possible. You just need to get your players in the right frame of mind.

I'll stop bragging now :rolleyes:

Had similar problems with hooper and stokes. One match i had 80% possession against dundee utd 30+ shots few on target and lost in the last minute. I just started playing counter attacking football until my youth players came through. Buy goodwillie and sit back and counter. domination doesn't seem to pay off unless you're team is much much better. In my experiences anyway.

Had similar problems with hooper and stokes. One match i had 80% possession against dundee utd 30+ shots few on target and lost in the last minute. I just started playing counter attacking football until my youth players came through. Buy goodwillie and sit back and counter. domination doesn't seem to pay off unless you're team is much much better. In my experiences anyway.

I think domination is relative. It's not necessarily just the tactics, player's morale, form and motivation all count too. You guys who have strikers missing... what do you say to them at half-time? Or have you considered subbing them early on/half-time? I've just played a game against Huddersfield with my Hereford team, they were 4/7 favourites to win... first half they had ALL the ball (65%/35%) but they only had one shot in the first 30 mins. Course it was a long shot, and course it was on target and, of course, they scored. My top scorer had about 5 real good opportunities and wasted every single one, even the one that hit the post... I think we were 5/7 shots, 2/3 SOT at HT (forgot to get a screenie). Team-talk was "sympathise" with a player told to "prove a point" and the top scorer got an "angry"... result? 4-2 to Hereford (possession 48/52, shots 10/20, SOT 4/8, woodwork 0/2, CCC's 0/6) we basically dominated the second half :D

So you see, it wasn't necessarily the tactics... just the motivation, got it *right* at HT = Win!

I don't bother if i don't have to much ball possession. My team normally only need half a dozen chances to score and them their doomed. On the break i finish them. I remember a game already with the 1.3 patch in wich i was playing at home and was big favorite. My team was extremelly confident but the goal didn't came in the first minutes. Instead the oposition scored a goal just before half time.

I gave them "the treatment" in the dressing room at half time but nothing was working the way we would like. I was getting plenty of chances but with no success. My 1st team strikers were missing chances in the 6yrd box. In this cases, in my experience, sometimes bringing a young fresh replacement sometimes helps.

So at min 80 i've get out my top goal scorer and get in a junior striker that i had on the bench to eventually enter if the game was solved early.

Probably all of you guess what happened! In 10 min he solved the game for us with 2 soberb finishings. The only 2 strikes that he did he scored. You could say that it was luck, but i think not. In this game the morale is very important and bringing in a player that wants to prove something sometimes is better them keep the 1st team player that is having a bad day.

I do this since i can remember playing FM/CM and sometimes it works well, other times it doesn't. In each case i don't blame the game only my choices.

In the OP case it could be a case of bad luck, shots with the oposition too close, too high tempo or you just didn't react the way you should. It's not a big deal, even the greatest managers have a bad day. Just don't say that the game is broken because you can't win a game. If you can't win the spanish league with Barcelona I could agree. But even them...

i had this problems and it was my wingers and more attacking center mid causing the problem they would create goals but atleast 10 times they would have a shot from a stupid distance they went in here and there but at times it lost me games

Wait... who said you can't win by being dominant? I'm just saying you're better off not being dominant. When you're dominant, pegging the the computer back for almost the entire match, what it does a lot is pack the box, densely packs the box, and marks your players about 100 times a second

What it does is mark the player on the ball and as soon as you whoop the ball into the box, split second after the ball leaves his foot, it man marks the other teamate before the ball reaches its destination and it's like this for most of the match and if you don't score early you end up losing

Wait... who said you can't win by being dominant? I'm just saying you're better off not being dominant. When you're dominant, pegging the the computer back for almost the entire match, what it does a lot is pack the box, densely packs the box, and marks your players about 100 times a second

What it does is mark the player on the ball and as soon as you whoop the ball into the box, split second after the ball leaves his foot, it man marks the other teammate before the ball reaches its destination and it's like this for most of the match and if you don't score early you end up losing

Well you know what, it sounds like you need to change your approach. Your attacks are probably too predictable. Switch it up a bit. I dominate and I win....and so do a lot of other people. Either you are doing something wrong or SI don't like you.....AND ONLY YOU ;)

But honestly...try something different. Go read some threads in the tactics forum :thup:

Yeah and my approach is to lure the other team out. Look I'm not saying you don't win when you completely dominate a match. What I am saying is that the computer changes its tactics all the time, every second, during the match and it's lethal when it just sits back all the time, leaving absolutely no space in that box. You win more games overall when you're not so dominant, it's 'generally' the best combat against the computer AI changing its tactics all time, its ability to change things so much during the match.

Yeah and my approach is to lure the other team out. Look I'm not saying you don't win when you completely dominate a match. What I am saying is that the computer changes its tactics all the time, every second, during the match and it's lethal when it just sits back all the time, leaving absolutely no space in that box. You win more games overall when you're not so dominant, it's 'generally' the best combat against the computer AI changing its tactics all time, its ability to change things so much during the match.

but don't you see how thats a tactical difference and not the game triggering an "unlucky mode", as you put it? A number of big sides irl play a counter-attacking system against smaller clubs as they try to draw the opposition out because they know if they can catch them a bit short at the back they'll have a much easier time than if they press all off the oppositions defence and midfield back into the last third of the pitch.

but don't you see how thats a tactical difference and not the game triggering an "unlucky mode", as you put it? A number of big sides irl play a counter-attacking system against smaller clubs as they try to draw the opposition out because they know if they can catch them a bit short at the back they'll have a much easier time than if they press all off the oppositions defence and midfield back into the last third of the pitch.

I was about to pretty much say the same thing.

All azuru just explained is just a different approach to playing against the opposition.

At the end of the day, you can lose whether you are playing a high pressure attacking style or you play a counter attacking style.

Had this last night playing a lower team. I had 17 shots on goal, 2 on target and 4 CCCs.

But no goals after 71 minutes... hmmm what to do?

I changed formation, made it more direct and more attacking, with faster tempo, shorter passes, and work the ball into the box.

Destroyed the other team 5-0 - yep 5 goals in about 20 minutes.

What I am saying is that the computer changes its tactics all the time, every second, during the match

Where do you get this stuff from? The AI does not change tactics every second of the game, if it did the game would never manage to process a result.

Where do you get this stuff from? The AI does not change tactics every second of the game, if it did the game would never manage to process a result

By analyzing the ME? How it goes from attack to super ultra defensive?

if it did the game would never manage to process a result

By calculating a new probability every second? You know, like chess, but it's still able to calculate results

By calculating a new probability every second? You know, like chess, but it's still able to calculate results

The game has already been played by the time you watch it. All you're seeing is a movie. If (and when) you change something - anything - the rest of the movie is trashed and a new one generated. The game does not react in real-time to what you are seeing.

By analyzing the ME? How it goes from attack to super ultra defensive?

The AI does not change from super defensive to attack every second of the game, you do this alot, you make things up when you dont appear to have any real clue on how the ME works or how the results are calculated, i'm not meaning to have a dig at you, but unless you go away and actually find out how the game works dont go about making false statements about it constantly to try and back up your own way of thinking. T

Yes it's all done before the higlights are displayed. The computer AI is changing is tactics before way before you actually get to see it. The computer AI gets to watch the 'movie' a good few seconds in advance.

Edit: In other words, the computer AI is watching the game live.

That's right, when we see the game it already happened.

I remender not many time ago (maybe FM2007) that when i wanted to do a change i would always wait till the ball where in the attacking midfield.

That was because I had the impression that if i interrupt the game when the opposite team was in the attack i would suffer a goal. And sometimes that happened... But it was only bad luck, nothing more. Now i know that.

Archived