MLS Draft

Best "Short" way to describe it, is if you took all academy players and placed them in a pool, the team that finishes with the worst record gets to pick which young player it wants. Then goes in order from worst to first selecting "rookies", normally college or young players.

Long more in depth check this out... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_SuperDraft

Simple, there are 4 draft rounds... a round is just each team in the league getting one pick.

The picks you can trade to other teams for players, or trade your players for the picks (but that's rare as MLS AI doesn't make many trade moves). So if you trade your 1st round pick in the 2011 draft for someone then that team gets their pick and yours in the first round and you don't get any.

The order teams pick in are based on how they finished in the last season. So if you finished first you pick last, if you finished last you pick first. It's a way of encouraging parity in the league.

Before the draft you'll get a news items that list the top 10 or so players that will be available in the draft, and your scouts should scout all players so you have any idea what you are looking at during the draft.

It's simple enough but the quality of players is questionable to be honest. Unless you pick in the top 10-15 of the first round you likely aren't going to get anything more then a backup. 3rd and 4th round picks usually aren't even worth that (1/2-1 star players). So I often trade my picks around for the good players, especially when I expect to finish strong in the league.

Any other questions just ask... MLS is ok to play in... 11.3 made many improvements on it actually, but seems to be easy to get strong league dominating foreign players in my experience. But making a squad with all the restrictions is the challenging part.

Download FMRTE and edit the 125 players that are made available for the draft. In particular, make sure you edit the 15 or so Generation Adidas players so that they have a decent shot at sticking around. Otherwise you're stuck with newgens that could, for example, be a striker with 150 PA but have a 5 for acceleration and 12 for pace. In the American newgen thread from the other day I posted a few examples of players that I edited.

In real life the draft is the best way for teams to build their rosters as they don't have to pay transfer fees; in FM...not so much. The thread I mentioned also has some pointers from me about how to edit players in a more realistic manner than what the game provides. Hope it helps!

Archived