The Legends Challenge, Chapter One: Sir Alex Ferguson

I am starting a series of challenges mirroring the careers of the best managers in the world, but in the spirit of what they did. In other words, in general you don't need to use the same exact clubs they did, just clubs in the same situation as theirs. This to avoid such snags as trying to achieve promotion from a low division with a team that since these manager's days have gone on to be top flight sides. In fact, a number of these sides are now legendary because of the men that managed them, so all the work would have already been done for you. icon_wink.gif

Chapter One: Sir Alex Ferguson.

You may set your reputation to "Professional Footballer", as Sir Alex enjoyed a playing career with QPR, St Johnstone, Dunfermline, Rangers, Falkirk and Ayr.

Stage One: Up the League (East Stirlingshire/St. Mirren)

After less than a year in charge at East Stirlingshire Sir Alex took a Second Division struggler (St Mirren) and in four years transformed them to win the First Division.

Start your career at any Second Division team that has a media expectation of finishing bottom half of the table, take them to the Premier League, preferably through a win in the First Division.

Stage Two: Scottish Glory (Aberdeen)

In 1978, Ferguson moved to Aberdeen, Scotland's #3 side at the time behind the Old Firm. Under Fergie's guidance they won the league as the first team to do so other than Celtic and Rangers in fifteen years, during his second season. He went on to snag two more Premiership titles, four Scottish Cups and a Scottish League cup, as well as the UEFA Cup Winner's cup and the Super Cup in 1983.

You will take over any Premiership club that isn't your original club or Celtic and Rangers. You will need to duplicate Ferguson's success here, three league titles,

four Cups, a League Cup, a European Trophy and a Euro Super Cup.

Stage Three: English Dynasty (Man Utd)

Arriving at a Manchester United which was struggling in the league, full of fat, drunk and lazy players, Sir Alex had his work cut out for him. Man Utd hadn't won the league for almost twenty years and was halfway down the league. It took him seven years to bring the title back to Old Trafford and in the 20 years since his appointment he's racked up an impressive silverware cabinet, and arguably been the best manager in the history of football.

You will take over a Premiership Team that has not won the league in twenty years (Which at present only excludes the big 4 and Blackburn), and take them to ridiculous glory:

10 Premiership titles

5 FA Cup titles

2 League Cup titles

6 Community/Charity Shield titles

2 Champions League titles

1 Major European trophy (instead of the Cup Winner's cup, UEFA Cup or CL either works)

1 European Supercup

Rules:

You must post a screenshot of your profile at the beginning of your game. Screenshots are also required to prove any titles, and a screen of your English team's domestic honors. Any other screens are voluntary.

Player and Tactic naming are allowed.

I use the honor system. Cheating can't be proven, but what's the point of doing a challenge if you're going to cheat?

Required Leagues:

Scottish Leagues (Division 2 and up)

English Premier Division.

Challenge Ending:

If at any point you get fired from a job, the challenge is over. No-one fires Sir Alex. (Except St Mirren, but he was leaving there anyway.)

Should that happen, post a screen of your Manager stats and history.

If after 35 seasons (at the end of the 2042/43 season) you haven't reached your goals, you've been bested by Sir Alex. Take screens of your Manager stats and history and retire.

If you manage to reach all your goals in 35 years or less, you win! Take a screen of your manager stats and history, as well as the Hall Of Fame for England and the whole world, which you should probably be number 1 on! Well done.

Alright. I'm starting my attempt with Ayr United, who are expected to finish seventh in the league, but have a nice 8000 capacity stadium, 1500 seated, which is I assume the reason for their small loan debt.

I've decided to style myself Alexander Chapman Ferguson Jr., or Alex Ferguson Jr. for short.

Shooting for mid-table this year, trying to build up the squad; Prospectively I think Ayr could make D1 in two seasons, but luckily my board is only expecting me to establish in D2. This should be fun icon_smile.gif

The pre-season friendlies were disastrous, with my best result being a 4-1 defeat at the hands of Chester. My side were exhausted and completely off of match fitness, which is what I assume was the problem. We also managed to lose 5-1, 5-0 and 6-2 to lower league Scottish sides.

It was embarrassing. I'm not sure how it all happened. So far I've strengthened the left side of my squad, but something had better pull itsself together before I lose this challenge before October icon_frown.gif

So finally my team has shaken their terrible lack of fitness and I think we're on the way to turn this season around. Right now we're on a nine game winless streak.

Two last-minute signing have played an integral part in this turning, Dutch centreback Marlon Kruis provided some desperately needed pace in the back, which has been the reason for most of our conceded goals (aside from the starting goalie being a nervous twit with extremely limited current ability).

And Paul Bosvelt joined up to bolster the midfield, although he's been playing as a right side wingback lately.

If you mean to ask if there's any limits on transfers, I don't see why there would be. Just don't use FMScout or whatever to find players.

If you're wondering about my transfers:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

9th in Scottish Second Division

| Date | Person | From | Fee |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 11.7.2007 | McMillan, Craig | Lochore Welfare | Free |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 12.7.2007 | Duke, David | Free Transfer | Free |

| 30.7.2007 | Orr, David | Free Transfer | Free |

| 31.7.2007 | MacKenzie, Scott | Free Transfer | Free |

| 4.8.2007 | Fleming, Derek | Alloa | £4K |

| 10.8.2007 | Brown, Graeme | Alloa | £6K |

| 29.8.2007 | Kruis, Marlon | Voorschoten'97 | Free |

| 29.8.2007 | Bosvelt, Paul | TOGR | Free |

| 30.8.2007 | Paterson, Scott | Cove Rangers | £3K |

| | Total | | £13K |

| | | | |

| Date | Person | To | Fee |

| 8.8.2007 | Campbell, Martyn | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | Paterson, Craig | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | Corr, Barry John | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | Mushet, Graeme | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | Vareille, Jerome | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | Armstrong, Graeme | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | Hayes, Paul | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | Fletcher, Paul | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | Woodburn, Alastair | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | Scott, Andrew | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | McMillan, Steven | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | McLauchlan, James | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | Dunlop, Blair | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | Donald, Marc | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | Fleming, Kyle | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | Colligan, Bobby | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | Griffiths, Stephen | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | Donaldson, David | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | Dalziel, Stuart | Free Transfer | Free |

| 8.8.2007 | Bradford, Ryan | Free Transfer | Free |

| | Total | | £0 |

| | | | |

</pre>

Well thought out challenge mate.

I started with Ayr as well, the 8000 capacity being the clincher for me.

Going to aim for promotion in the first season, consolidate in Div 1 season 2, then go for promotion to SPL season 3.

Ideally want either the Hearts or Aberdeen job with which to win the Scottish part of the challenge.

After that I'm not bothered about the English team, I'll just see who's doing well at that point who hasn't won the title. Newcastle would be a corker to go.

I'm sure Sir Alex managed Scotland for a short period of time, is that allowed in your challenge?

Really enjoying this challenge.

Heres how I got on in the 1st season, probably the best 1st season I've ever had on FM!

Final Div 2 Table

Here was the news I needed to be able to sustain in the 1st Div

Good News

Finding the 1st Div very difficult, can't attract any decent players, board have almost a million in the bank and are refusing to part with it.

Second season finished.

Final Div 1 Table

A very competetive league. Really good season from my point of view! Also humped local rivals Kilmarnock in the Scottish Cup 4-0! Motherwell had a superb keeper and defence and teams just couldn't score against them, they also appeared in the Scottish Cup Final.

Lost most of my good players in the preseason before season 3, have over £2.5mil in the bank but the board only gave me £500k to spend so again had to do a bit of Harry Redknapping in the bosman market.

Predicted 9th for this season, which I think is a bit harsh. Hoping to be there or there abouts again.

Managed to get into the 1st division via the playoffs.

Still a semi-pro club. Struggling a bit in the 1st division at the moment. Firmly routed to 9th place.

Could someone help me post screenshots so i can keep proper updates.

I found Div 1 a nightmare first season, all the teams are on a reasonably equal footing and beat each other regularly. I wsa delighted with my top half finish in the first season there.

I managed to win the Div 1 title at the second attempt! Screenshots to follow. Another tough season and didn't win it by much, board didn't help, refusing on every attempt to get me a parent club. The players I did get in were all free apart from Kinniburgh from Partick Thistle.

Now heading into the SPL and on the look out for another club, the Aberdeen and Motherwell jobs are both insecure. Fingers crossed.

4 teams - 2nd to 4th place of the Second division, and 9th place in the First Division. The format is similar to England, 2 semi finals and a final, the winner plays in the First Division next season.

after my first attempt at the game i thought i'd try it again and started over with ayr.

i aim to win promotion to the premier division in 3 seasons. it will be tough but i feel i need to complete this stage quickly on order to give myself a chance to complete this inside 34 years.

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3481/profilelu7.png there's my profile

i'll post and update of my transfer later once i've completed them.

Alloa Athletic 2007/08 (Stage One)

Scottish Second Division - 2nd, promotion via playoffs (Media Prediction - 10th)

League Cup - 2nd Round

Challenge Cup - 2nd Round

Scottish Cup - 5th Round

League table: http://i37.tinypic.com/30u6ds9.jpg

Must admit I wasn't expecting to promote in my first season, but we started with a decent squad and a couple of key transfers in made the difference.

Transfers: http://i36.tinypic.com/24o67a8.jpg

By far the most important of those signings was David Templeton. His stats here sum it up: http://i33.tinypic.com/azj2us.jpg. Despite me now being one of his favoured personnel, he doesn't want to come back on loan for another year... :/

Couple of nice cup runs too, beating Dundee in the League Cup was the only major surprise though. Gretna thumped us in the next round, as well as the Scottish Cup.

The club's only semi-professional though, so signing players of the needed quality for the 1st division might be tricky.

Alloa Athletic 2007/08 (Stage One)

Scottish Second Division - 2nd, promotion via playoffs (Media Prediction - 10th)

League Cup - 2nd Round

Challenge Cup - 2nd Round

Scottish Cup - 5th Round

League table: http://i37.tinypic.com/30u6ds9.jpg

Must admit I wasn't expecting to promote in my first season, but we started with a decent squad and a couple of key transfers in made the difference.

Transfers: http://i36.tinypic.com/24o67a8.jpg

By far the most important of those signings was David Templeton. His stats here sum it up: http://i33.tinypic.com/azj2us.jpg. Despite me now being one of his favoured personnel, he doesn't want to come back on loan for another year... :/

Couple of nice cup runs too, beating Dundee in the League Cup was the only major surprise though. Gretna thumped us in the next round, as well as the Scottish Cup.

The club's only semi-professional though, so signing players of the needed quality for the 1st division might be tricky.

Well done mate, it's tricky getting out of there in the first season!

My Ayr team finally turned pro which made a huge difference to attracting players.

I finished 4th in my first season in Div 1, then got promoted as champions in season 3. There were a few things in the press linking me with the Aberdeen, Hearts and Dundee Utd jobs which was nice but eventually Mark McGhee was sacked and I took over Motherwell!

They are a small team for the spl, things are tight but they have a few good players.

I wanted to take that job as it came up first and I had the whole preseason to get them in order. The Aberdeen job came up weeks later which I would have got and considering the challenge would have been ideal but Motherwell it is.

The board then decided to sell the club, my future was in jeopardy, new owners in who improved the training facility to the best outside the Old Firm and thankfully they let me keep my job.

Finished 4th in the spl in my first season behind the Old Firm and Hibs. Delighted to be in uefa cup next year if I get through qualifying.

European football meant a lot of transfer dealings but the board sold most of my good players pre season! Any bid over £1mil was accepted but they only gave me 60% to play with, a lot of bosmans and a few finds from the U'20s Olympic tournament and we're good to go.

Sitting 4th again a few months into my 5th season, I don't know how I'm ever going to catch the Old Firm. Got seeded 5th for Uefa cup groups and got Benfica as my top seed. Raked in over £500k in gate receipts for the first game of the group against Benfica, was leading 1-0 til the final 15mins when they finally broke me down to lose 2-1 but I'm hopeful of qualifying in 3rd place for the next round.

Thoroughly enjoying this challenge but winning the SPL 3 times is definetely going to be the breaking point, if I can do that in the next 7 seasons then I might have a chance to beat the great man.

* I did have screenshots for all this but I'm seemingly not allowed to post attachements on this new forum!!!

Ayr United season 1 update

i started off by assesing the squad and seeing which positions needed attention. i managed to bring in players of sufficient quality i felt to win promotion at the first time of asking.

Here are my transfers:

http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=transfersseason1jy9.png

Sabic: did a brilliant job for me on my oxford save so i decided to bring him in and he's been amazing again. he's now attracting interest from premier league sides. 9/10

Salomonsson: another i had at oxford who is a good solid midfielder with a high p.a (160). he's also now attracting interest from higher teams. 9/10

Balde: didn't think i'd be able to sign him but i tried and he's been pure class. he was my top scorer and the top scorer in the scottish cup. he's also attracting interest from other clubs. 9/10

Svensson: i'd heard good things about him and looked him up and he had good stats and surprisingly good physical stats for his age. he was solid and very rarely makes mistakes. 7/10

Bujaki: a solid if unspectacular performer for me who did the job i needed. 6/10

Marseille: a midfielder who solved the left hand side problem i had with ease. can definately cut it at a higher level. 8/10

Grant: good solid player who i hoped to make a permanent signing but he rejected my contract. 7.5/10

The league was my priority and i desperately wanted to get promotion in my first season which i did via the playoffs. i was disappointed not to win the league but i feel my long cup runs had an affect during the last part of the season.

League Table:

http://img170.imageshack.us/my.php?image=promotiongp3.png

Finally the cup runs:

Scottish challenge cup: i went out at an early stage losing disappointingly in the second round away 1-0 to queen of the south.

Scottish League cup: another second round exit this time at the hands of falkirk losing 3-0 away from home.

Scottish cup: Well i really couldn't believe this. i managed to reach the scottish cup final:O. i played celtic in the final but unsurprisingly lost 3-0. i thought i was going to be in europe and started dancing round my bedroom like a lunatic only for the european qualifiers to be announced and i wasn't included:(

Scottish cup final:

http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scottishcupfinalql2.png

Ayr United Season 2 end of transfer window update

As many of my squad were out of contract and surplus to requirements at the beginning of this season i needed more quality in my first team and squad in general. i had no goalkeeper so bringing in 2 of good experience was key. As was bringing in a holding midfielder, a couple of defenders and a new striker.

Season 2 transfers:

http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=season2transferswd5.png

You will take over a Premiership Team that has not won the league in twenty years (Which at present only excludes the big 4 and Blackburn), and take them to ridiculous glory:

I'll just wait until after this season then Liverpool wouldnt have won the premier league in 20 years so I can use them ;)

I'll just wait until after this season then Liverpool wouldnt have won the premier league in 20 years so I can use them ;)

It would make sense to clarify this I think. Is it 20 years in game or IRL?

Liverpool have won the league in my game.

neilez2 any chance you can post your squad which got you promotion to the prem?

for screenshots just post a link to imageshack or whatever. you can post them i think i saw one on a thread earlier today.

Here are my links: (Haven't worked out how to name them yet, only direct links available.

Final Div 1 table season 31stDivChampions.png

Motherwell jobMotherwelljob.png

Takeover is over...PanicOver.png

I'll get the other screenies requested when I get a chance.

I've just finished my 2011/2012 season as Motherwell manager.

Final SPL table 2012FinalSPLtable.png

The game that split the Old Firm, last game of the season at home. I lost 3-1 at home to Rangers the game before! GamethatsplitOldFirm.png

Probably my biggest achievement in Football Manager to date, splitting the Old Firm, although as you can see catching Celtic will be tough. Hopefully the clubs rep will improve greatly and we can get some big bucks in from the CL.

So that's me in the champions league going into the 2012/2013 season. Need to buy a good keeper asap.

Archived