is there any advantage in selecting a "bad" comment in press conference??

example...i know i have a very very slim chance of winning the next game but during the press conference,i say i have a good chance of winning etc.

if i select my honest answer,we've no chance etc,will it just demoralise the squad and if thats so...whats the point of there being any "bad" comments??

If you have a determined squad that can handle pressure well, saying that you don't expect a result can fire them up to prove you wrong.

I once was having trouble scoring so on a press conference i criticized my attack when that question came up and on the next match they scored 5 goals.. it's not an exact science but sometimes it can be helpful.

example...i know i have a very very slim chance of winning the next game but during the press conference,i say i have a good chance of winning etc.

if i select my honest answer,we've no chance etc,will it just demoralise the squad and if thats so...whats the point of there being any "bad" comments??

saying you think you can win is probably a bad idea as it will damage morale more if you don't... saying you think you'll struggle in a game where you are likely to lose will have a less damaging effect on morale if you lose, it also reduces the pressure on your players but increases the pressure on the opposition players. Of course, if you then DO win, it will boost morale more...

I regularly say the "wrong" stuff in press conferences just to see how the players react (cos I'm evil.. hehe)

Not necessarily. I just got one of my best results of the season by giving what you might consider to be a 'bad' comment along the same lines as your example here.

I'm playing as Hellas Verona and we've just got back to Serie A. This is our first season back in the big time and we're fighting against relegation.

This is the result I was talking about:

RomavVerona.png

We were absolutely pummelled for 90 minutes and then totally stole the win in the very last minute of injury time. The Roma fans would no doubt be calling us thieves!

That really was a smash and grab victory. The key seemed to be the fact that I played down our chances in the media by saying that I felt we had little chance of winning the game. I backed this up with my team talk before the match and therefore told the players 'no pressure'. At half-time when we got in at 0-0, I praised them. We also played really defensive football and I just had a feeling, as Roma weren't making quality chances, that we would get something if we could just get one chance. And that we did!

I've never celebrated a victory quite like this one. A vital three points in our survival campaign! And the press conference and team talk decisions definitely played a key part.

I think it's really important to link your team talks, press conference and tactical strategies together, if possible.

In that game, we were at massive odds to get anything and I thought it was best to just totally take the pressure off. The players reacted well to the press conference and team talk, and they were both a key part in the win.

Not necessarily. I just got one of my best results of the season by giving what you might consider to be a 'bad' comment along the same lines as your example here.

I'm playing as Hellas Verona and we've just got back to Serie A. This is our first season back in the big time and we're fighting against relegation.

RomavVerona.png

We were absolutely pummelled for 90 minutes and then totally stole the win in the very last minute of injury time. The Roma fans would no doubt be calling us thieves!

That really was a smash and grab victory. The key seemed to be the fact that I played down our chances in the media by saying that I felt we had little chance of winning the game. I backed this up with my team talk before the match and therefore told the players 'no pressure'. At half-time when we got in at 0-0, I praised them. We also played really defensive football and I just had a feeling, as Roma weren't making quality chances, that we would get something if we could just get one chance. And that we did!

I've never celebrated a victory quite like this one. A vital three points in our survival campaign! And the press conference and team talk decisions definitely played a key part.

Not trying to downplay your win at all mate, but Roma with 26 shots on goal and not one clear cut chance?! Awful play from them !

RomavVerona.png

and that ^^^ kids, is how to play the game.

:)

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions - you managed to arrest my 6 game winless streak. Especially my younger players benefitted from the no-pressure approach and really put in some fantastic performances. Pressure on older, star players - no pressure on young 'uns seems to do the trick.

Archived