Home Grown Status

Hi. If anyone could confirm for me, I'm playing in England and like to concentrate on youth. If I sign a 17yr old in the July-August transfer window, and he turns 18 within a few weeks/months, does he still qualify for HG status after 3 yrs? Many thanks

Yeah I think he does.

The best way to deal with Homegrown status is not actually to buy and develop youngsters into first team players, but to leave enough spaces free in your squad registration to cover any Homegrown lack.

If you have only 3 homegrown First Team players, leave five registration spaces free. That will automatically make up the 8.

If I sign a 17yr old in the July-August transfer window, and he turns 18 within a few weeks/months, does he still qualify for HG status after 3 yrs?

Yes he does.

The best way to deal with Homegrown status is not actually to buy and develop youngsters into first team players

An interesting approach but I doubt many would agree that this is the "best way" to deal with the homegrown rules.

An interesting approach but I doubt many would agree that this is the "best way" to deal with the homegrown rules.

What I meant was don't panic about having to buy lots of random youngsters and assign them squad numbers to fill your homegrown quota. Manage your club normally and leaves registration spaces if you don't have enough homegrown first teamers.

I would never suggest not buying and developing players. I am saying the best way to deal with HG status is not to panic buy, but just reduce your First Team squad size and leave a few registration gaps.

HG is not the "omg panic! game changer" it first looks. The only practical difference it makes is a slight reduction in first team squad size and slightly more opportunity for youngsters to get a start.

I buy a bunch of youngsters in the beginning but not necess to fill the quota. I do it moreso to have a good set of options in a few years time when my established players move on. For example, picking up your Lukakus, Thorgan Hazard, Aurier, Varrane, etc when they are 17, so that when the 30+ yr old's leave the team and I need to re-buy players, my current crop of youngsters are nearly ALL homegrown, if that makes sense. Strange how I plan ahead in FM, but don't plan ahead IRL. haha

What I meant was don't panic about having to buy lots of random youngsters and assign them squad numbers to fill your homegrown quota. Manage your club normally and leaves registration spaces if you don't have enough homegrown first teamers.

I would never suggest not buying and developing players. I am saying the best way to deal with HG status is not to panic buy, but just reduce your First Team squad size and leave a few registration gaps.

HG is not the "omg panic! game changer" it first looks. The only practical difference it makes is a slight reduction in first team squad size and slightly more opportunity for youngsters to get a start.

I agree. I've found the HG rule actually makes it almost as easy to develop overseas players, as they will most likely be younger than the age at which you need to start registering players for your squads (at work at the moment, so can't remember the exact age).

I find I have to start registering dud old players that I have no intention of playing, just to make up the minimum squad size, as so many of my players (HG or otherwise) are below the age limit.

In another thread I read that if you loan your youngsters (potential HG players) out to foreign clubs during their time at your club before their 21st birthday, it doesn't count towards HG status? anyone shed some light on this?

Archived