list of things WRONG with the fm series

FM underestimates the mental aspect of a player in his performance. We have 3 columns of attributes and the middle column doesnt contribute enough IMHO.

I don't agree with that. Was true in the past but not now. Read SFraser's analyses in the Tactics forum for the effects of mental attributes.

Too many of the purchasers of the game seem to think their 30 quid has bought them a controlling share in SI and that this forum is the appropriate way of communicating their wishes, whims, dissatisfactions and edicts to their new staff.

Financial systems. FM uses the English model for every club in the world, which we all know it doesn't work that way.

Can you expand on this please? What are the main differences?

Take a lot of Life:)

This is a BIG problem with FM :D

Too many of the purchasers of the game seem to think their 30 quid has bought them a controlling share in SI and that this forum is the appropriate way of communicating their wishes, whims, dissatisfactions and edicts to their new staff.

While i don't agree with some of the trash written here, what is this forum for if not to communicate 'wishes, whims, dissatisfactions etc...'. This should be allowed to happen here, as otherwise SI would be none the wiser about what their CUSTOMERS think. £30 entitles people to have an opinion mate, we're not getting the game for free. That said, it's mostly done in a whiny, petulant manner, which is nauseating.

Problems with FM? Lol, where to start...?

Ah, here.

Team dominates. Great striker gets a 1 on 1. Misses. Gets a second 1 on 1. Misses. Gets a third 1 on 1. Misses. Gets a fourth 1 on 1. Misses.

Team has 5 or 6 1 on 1 in each game. If that was the case in real life, the scores would be astronomical.

So because SI can't reduce the 1 on 1 chances, it has made them so players misses them. It's been like that for years.

The problem is not in the conversion rate, but in the chances being created.

Why on earth hasn't SI fixed this? God knows why...

Problems with FM? Lol, where to start...?

Ah, here.

Team dominates. Great striker gets a 1 on 1. Misses. Gets a second 1 on 1. Misses. Gets a third 1 on 1. Misses. Gets a fourth 1 on 1. Misses.

Team has 5 or 6 1 on 1 in each game. If that was the case in real life, the scores would be astronomical.

So because SI can't reduce the 1 on 1 chances, it has made them so players misses them. It's been like that for years.

The problem is not in the conversion rate, but in the chances being created.

Why on earth hasn't SI fixed this? God knows why...

I have matches where I don't get any CCC's. At a guess, I'd say that I average -3- or -4- CCC's per match but have extremes either way. I don't seem to have any problem scoring them though..

completely agree, folk do seem to think they are owe the world because they bought a computer game.

Considering the different versions of FM, I believe they all lacked more patches/version.

It's expected that no game is perfect from vanilla. It's understandable that no version of a game will ever be perfect. But using the huge feedback from this forum, a more frequent patch-release policy, addressing fewer issues, would probably help diminish the various problems that occur. I've seen indie games progress from brainless, bugged vanilla versions to incredibly-realistic challenging games. But the change came with the help of 20 or more patches.

However, since for FM, after patch 3 the next one becomes FM xx+1 version... instead of solving previously signaled issues, this will more likely introduce a whole new bunch of problems. And the following 3 patches will try (and probably fail) to address all of these.

To get a more realistic simulation maybe a new version of the game should come out every 2 years... or 3. Though the marketing dpt. would never agree.

Also, as it is now, the game progresses faster, with new additions, manager options (most of them working) and a better 3d engine each year.

However, I believe most of FM fans would happily give up the new additions for a more balanced, real-like version.

Set your flame shield to max!

I was going to have a follow-up thread similar to this but only for FM11. My first thread was "Are you unhappy with FM11?" and that got a steady 30% who were unhappy.

1) I would say the financial system needs to be re-worked and that should then have a good knock-on effect on the transfer system.

2) Manager questions and teamtalks...bin them or drastically change how they work.

This comment and others like it are used to stifle constructive feedback to improve the game. Just watch as the game stagnates because the forum becomes full of yes men.

This comment and others like it are used to stifle constructive feedback to improve the game. Just watch as the game stagnates because the forum becomes full of yes men.

Agree i wouldnt have it any other way as a customer or as owner of a business. SI have awsome sales figures so they dont need a forum where all people do is tell them how great the game is, evey game has it problems and if people didnt point out these problems (bugs) a once great game would get dated pretty quick. So would SI rather people keep quiet and just move on and stop playing like many of the "yes" men on here tell them too, or would SI rather these people point out small issues they find with the game for SI to fix and for those said people (and many more) stay happy with the game and carry on purchasing?

Ruins families. Couples divorce because of FM. :p

This is probably out of SI's control but I always hate it after the 3rd patch when I play with 2010 MLS teams with 2011 squads, when the 2011 MLS season is underway. And we don't play with 2011 teams and squads till near the end of the season, every season. But licensing problems means that I'll never get my wish.

Agree i wouldnt have it any other way as a customer or as owner of a business. SI have awsome sales figures so they dont need a forum where all people do is tell them how great the game is, evey game has it problems and if people didnt point out these problems (bugs) a once great game would get dated pretty quick. So would SI rather people keep quiet and just move on and stop playing like many of the "yes" men on here tell them too, or would SI rather these people point out small issues they find with the game for SI to fix and for those said people (and many more) stay happy with the game and carry on purchasing?

You know the answer, there wouldn't be a forum if they didn't want feedback/criticism, of course they prefer it to be constructive with evidence where appropriate but even a decent rant isn't necessarily ignored:)

if you dont tell SI/FM whats good and bad about the game, they will just make updates on the game that suit them! it's are voice are messages are criticism that actually make the game of what it is today... well not the game but things in the game! if i made football manager i would want people to tell me whats right and whats wrong.... yes people go abit OTT over some things, and people like things that i don't, But thats life it would be boring if everyone was the same! we should be thankful that we got a manager game like this!! theres no other manager game that comes any where near this 1!! champioship manager have stopped making CM , LMA lmanager have gone! premier manager.......... would rather play sims LOOOL!

LOL, where else would communicate these things but a forum?

When you get promoted the rest of the world doesnt recognise it till June the 24th. And Teamtalks, I hate them, really turns me off the series.

And why on the 23rd of June are the board delighted about my performance and tell me my job is untouchable for them to turn around on the 24th and only be satisfied and stable? They should fix that too.

* Managers' turnover is just plain horrid. No point in having contracts if the only way to leave is either being sacked or resigning.

* AI is still largely inefficient at squad building and talent development

* Transfer market hasn't found a right balance after all these years

* Newgens still need work too

* The PR-interaction dynamics are much too confusing and tedious while having a huge impact on teams' performances..

* Reputation still seem to ignore things such as "national bias" or "scouting knowledge" despite both feature being, theoretically, in the game

* The tactical side looks really deep but it's somewhat diluted by morale issues and by the 3D engine rendition... What you see is rarely what you get...

Too many posters seem to think SI has set the forum up just for people to congratulate them on a job well done, the Queen to post the offer of a knighthood, or the UN to see if they would like to run the world for a while before FM12 comes out. Obviously anyone who posts with any form of criticism is either an Eidos agent attempting to destabilize SI, or have escaped from a secure hospital and are only posting until their imminent re-capture.;)

Thats great feedback RBKalle, but i fear it will disappear in this thread and next year we will have the same issues. Any way to make things like this into one list and sticky them?

I don't think there is a way...

For starters many will not agree with what I listed, and even if it was the general consensus there's just so much SI can really do...

Unfortunately most issues have already been reported, for years, and all we've got have been either minor tweaks (with little effect) or major overhauls (which have in turns created new/different problems).

I'm afraid most issues would call for a radical change in the game dynamics and possibly with the recoding of very important parts of the game itself... And with the tight "one game a year" schedule they have it's just impossible...

Sadly I think we're stuck forever with the same game getting annual facelifts and adjustments, but the major flaws, inherent to the original concept, are bound to stay there.

I think of it as a car... You can change the rims, you can put a spoiler and racing decals on it, you can even tweak the engine but it'll always be a 1995 Ford Fiesta in the end...

So I wonder why can't we just skip ONE yearly "Pimp my game" session and put the time and effort into a BRAND NEW game.

Can you expand on this please? What are the main differences?

In South America, third-party ownership is common but rarely, if not at all, implemented in the game. In Holland, in game small clubs don't get rescued by their municipalities like they do in real life when they go in heavy debt; the Eigen Vermogen is also not implemented so annual loss reduces the club balance when it does not in real life. I'm sure there are more examples but I don't have time to research them.

How about team talks? They make absolutely no sense half of the time, are completely ambiguous and some of them produce random effects that don't appear to make any sense whatsoever.

Tend to disagree; I find it one of the better ways to influence match, half of it anyway.

RL is easier lol Seriously they just draw a couple of lines and go 'right you do this and you do that. Right, go out there and win boys'

Edit: Seriously can you just imagine a manager saying to his players 'right you long shots often and you long shots rarely' lol

RL is easier lol Seriously they just draw a couple of lines and go 'right you do this and you do that. Right, go out there and win boys'

Edit: Seriously can you just imagine a manager saying to his players 'right you long shots often and you long shots rarely' lol

haha lol haha

This is probably out of SI's control but I always hate it after the 3rd patch when I play with 2010 MLS teams with 2011 squads, when the 2011 MLS season is underway. And we don't play with 2011 teams and squads till near the end of the season, every season. But licensing problems means that I'll never get my wish.

Your secret weapon is the Swedish League. Game start date becomes February 201x which is about the third patch time. Add Sweden to your game config, set it to pick Swedens date, start pretty much on the real-life date.

i think thats a symptom of SI actually caring what the consumers think, people start to get carried away.

i think thats a symptom of SI actually caring what the consumers think, people start to get carried away.

That works both ways though, some people respond aggressively to constructive negative feedback of the game.

adding new annoying **** with every release (forced press conferences / agents)

game becoming slower and slower every year

national calls that do not postpone games

CA/PA not visible

paying for best youth facilities and having next superstars to spawn in some lame Japanese clubs

AI teams bidding my back up players - NO I NEVER SELL BACK UPS

Gray players not having CA 1

Players stats dropping without a reason ( age / injury / vacations)

Stupid coaches / scouts

AI clubs from inactive leagues without any scouts getting first to potential superstars

Players with 4 years to go in their contracts wanting improvement

Players getting upset when they get a 2 week fine for playing for only 7 three games in the raw

Assman panicking because a player is unhappy like we care about a grown man's feelings

Players acting like little girls

Crap AI managers not using the worst possible tactic against you

English players with CA over 160

Regen midfielders with marking of 7

This forum

Trying to make the game more 'realistic' whereas peoples just wanna 100% domination win using level 24 English team for an infinite time with a single click!

Didn't implement 2D for CM0102

Didn't freeze the game development after 7.0.3

Introduce a crapload of features (teamtalk, press conference) when peoples just wanna 100% domination win using level 24 English team for an infinite time with a single click!

No 'I WIN!' button.

Human teams have injuries, suspensions!

Human teams suffered controversy moments!

Suffered ban when criticize the refs.

:D

Splitting of Eidos & SI

Didn't partner with 573

Cant play Japan league coz they didnt partner with 573

F graphics coz they didnt partner with 573

MLS cap...We cant really play a designated player over 130,000 (For me) and the cap is around 2.2 million. I believe some player's salary in the game is incorrect.

Take it up with the MLS controller if you're so unhappy. And if you don't like the real-life rules in-game, don't play a game that tries to mirror real life.

I would echo RBKalle's comments as they would fairly mirror my own, except the transfer thing, and that because I tend to ignore all tranfers I'm not involved in (so haven't experience of the imbalance too much).

Oh, and I would like to say to all those coming on and saying "the complaints atre being drowned out by the fanboys and never heard" that if you have a valid complaint it will be heard and (if possible) dealt with. But roughly 95% of your posts (and I'm being generous) are either rants over, effecively, not having an auto-win button, complaining that the game is making you think, or complaining about other posters pointing out the sheer wrongness of your assertions.

Archived