A couple of issues with player-coaches, THEY DON'T WORK! [Patched 11.3]

Hi, am I the only person that has problems with player coaches following the patch?

To be honest I don't know if the problem only occurs after the patch because I didn't play lower leagues before then.

Here are the two issues I'm having.

Number 1

When I try to hire a new member of staff as a player coach I can only offer £65 per week for example.

However in the panel on the right it says the maximum I can offer as a coach or as a player is much more, £210 - £600 per week.

I am allowed four coaches and am employing three.

I am well under my wage budget.

I can offer the guy up to £210 as a coach, but he's not interested in that.

And I can offer him up to £650 as a player, but I only really want him for his coaching ability.

This has been the case with every player-coach I've tried to hire.

Number 2

I signed a potential player-coach as a player, and later I offered him a contract as player-goalkeeper coach.

I had the same odd restrictions with the wages I could offer again, but he accepted the pay cut!

However now he is a player-goalkeeper coach he appears on my staff screen, but not on the training screen.

I can't assign him to any training duties!

Am I the only one having these problems?

Got Edin Dzeko as a player coach and it's fine. Older players often take pay cuts. It may be because you're in a lower league

SO player-coaches do work?

My issue wasn't that he takes a pay-cut it's that I can't offer him as much as I could for an outright coach nor an outright player. Not even half as much.

/EDIT/ I've just reloaded to take screen shots and noticed that he doesn't actually take a paycut //Edit/

But even when I got around that issue and got him to sign as player-coach it was all a waste of time because he can't be assigned to do any coaching!

On his player screen it says "Player/ Goalkeeping Coach" On the staff screen he is listed as player-gk coach. And on the boardroom screen it indicates I have a new gk coach. On the coach assigning screen he doesn't appear. He is only found in the training module as a player receiving training.

Here is my issue with offering him a player-coach contract. Notice on the right hand panel that I can other him £600 as a player alone, but as a player-coach I can only offer £65.

1103gkcoachctr.jpg

If I offer him a coaching-only contract I can offer him £210, as I can other all other senior team coaches.

1103coachctr.jpg

From this Boardroom screen you can see that I employ three out of a possible four coaches* and am well under the wage budget.

1103coachallowances.jpg

*I asterisked the last statement because you will see in the first post that the right hand panel says the board will allow me 0 player coaches.

Which is what it also said regarding 1st Team Coaches, Youth Coaches, Fitness Coaches and Goalkeeping Coaches. (ie It said I had an allowance of 0 for all types of coaches except plain Coaches, and the boardroom view still shows that!)

However I was able to offer contracts and successfully employ all of those kinds of specialized coaches, as shown in the Boardroom view. In fact I started the game with a Youth Coach, yet no allowance for one!

The directors accept the contract I'm offering to a player-coach (despite no allowance) and don't veto his appointment unlike if I already had the maximum four coaches (I'd already tried that). If I'm not allowed a player-coach why let me make an offer or why not block it as they often do in other circumstances?

1103plyrcoach.jpg

The screens above show that everything appears sucessful and normal. He is a player-goalkeeper coach, the club is employing one goalkeeping coach, and that takes the total of coaches up to four out of a maximum four. /edit/ I forgot that screenshot //edit/

I can also get coach and scout reports from him, as with all the other coaches.

Everything appears normal that is, until you visit the training module to assign the coaches. Then as you can see the only coach coaching goalkeepers is Steve Welsh, a normal Coach. Bagnall, the Player-Goalkeeping Coach is nowhere to be seen.

He doesn't appear in the Youth team training either.

1103missing.jpg

So offering him a player-coach contract doesn't work as he doesn't coach!

1103plyrcoach.jpg

The screens above show that everything appears sucessful and normal. He is a player-goalkeeper coach, the club is employing one goalkeeping coach, and that takes the total of coaches up to four out of a maximum four. /edit/ I forgot that screenshot //edit/

I can also get coach and scout reports from him, as with all the other coaches.

Everything appears normal that is, until you visit the training module to assign the coaches. Then as you can see the only coach coaching goalkeepers is Steve Welsh, a normal Coach. Bagnall, the Player-Goalkeeping Coach is nowhere to be seen.

He doesn't appear in the Youth team training either.

1103missing.jpg

So offering him a player-coach contract doesn't work as he doesn't coach!

dunno where he is, but on your contract negotiation screen, the first max wage in the panel on the right is the current top wage you're paying (in this case to staff) not the max you can offer. That amount is the second one which says £65 which is obviously wrong. I think this was reported before 11.3 patch too, I'm sure I saw something about this.

I must admit that I too have had some problems with renewing staff contracts and not even being able to offer them the same money that they're on. This resulted in 3 key staff walking out which I wasn't happy about but when it came to hiring staff it was the same... that is, it was the same until I got peeved and offered a coach £200 a week when he was asking for £700 - I can pay £525 and this is a jobcentre applicant! He negotiated to £350! :O (I snapped his hand off :p) Anyway, after that I did the same with every member of staff I tried to sign and IIRC they've all re-negotiated to a figure I can pay if I've offered ~£200pw

I posted the contract offer issue in the bugs forum months ago - looks like nothing has changed. I think it's flawed, as signing one person at maximum wages to fill 2 roles (player + coach) will always be cheaper than signing 1 player + 1coach at maximum wages.

Basically you have to ignore the wage limit for players. The easy fix for SI would be simply not to display it if you select a coach role (i.e. only display the lower maximum).

I've tried to sign some players (with coaching skills) as a coach, but none wanted to sign as a coach, only as a player for an insane salary (for my club), although my assistant filtered out the unrealistic targets. Most of the coaches involved were actually advised to my at the backroom meeting.

So I've had one that seemed a good coach for my level and a far over the hill player (not good enough anymore for my team). I wanted to sign him as a coach for about 150pw (still kind of high for my level), but he asked 7.500pw as a player and didnt want to discuss a coaching job... My best player makes 400pw..

All the other player-coaches or old players with coaching abilities went the same way.. I tried 5 and then gave up..

I've had the same trouble with the staff suggestions too. I just ignore them, because they don't take into account whether you can actually afford to sign the coaches, just whether they'd sign for you at all if you offer what they want in salary. It's particularly bad when the "coach" is actually an ass man and therefore wants a much higher salary and isn't particularly interested in becoming a "coach" anyway.

Archived