Press conferences - Question number 37:

If for example I am managing Millwall, I am in the Championship and I get asked "Who do I think will win the Title" how should I answer. (in this example West Ham are in the Championship and hot preseason favorites):

A/ Us - the answer I always want to give with bravado though that attracts pressure to the players, especially if we are not so hot. Board may like it though as it shows positivity.

B/ The 2nd favourites (see "C" for reason not to chose actual favourites!)

C/ The favourites, West Ham - hardly the answer a Millwall manager would dare give

D/ Some random short odds club

E/ A random longer odds hopeful

F/ No comment

What would be the pros & benefits of each answer, under the circumstances stated, and what would be the right/best answer?

A, you want to be seen as an ambitious manager. Never C if it's your rivals, fans would hate you.

Thanks Peter for that, much as you would think I guess. A bit annoyed SI introduce these features which have a disproportionately large effect on the Team through morale,but leave it to us to work out whats what - no "from the horses mouth" guidance from them. Am also a bit cheesed off that most AI managers tell me via the press that my team is going down, the only responses open to me are about their team and their manager. No option for me to talk about MY team, the most obvious thing to discuss.

If for example I am managing Millwall, I am in the Championship and I get asked "Who do I think will win the Title" how should I answer. (in this example West Ham are in the Championship and hot preseason favorites):

A/ Us - the answer I always want to give with bravado though that attracts pressure to the players, especially if we are not so hot. Board may like it though as it shows positivity.

B/ The 2nd favourites (see "C" for reason not to chose actual favourites!)

C/ The favourites, West Ham - hardly the answer a Millwall manager would dare give

D/ Some random short odds club

E/ A random longer odds hopeful

F/ No comment

What would be the pros & benefits of each answer, under the circumstances stated, and what would be the right/best answer?

it depends on the opposition.

If you get asked it in a pre-match conference... say the opposition.. bundles and bundles of pressure on them, none on your players = easy victory

If we are 'expected' to be challenging and I'm asked at the start of the season, then it's usually "us" unless I think it might cause a bad reaction (not often imo). If we're not expected to be challenging and our opponents aren't expected to be challenging, then I'll just go with the favourites as that's *usually* a neutral position.

it depends on the opposition.

If you get asked it in a pre-match conference... say the opposition.. bundles and bundles of pressure on them, none on your players = easy victory

If we are 'expected' to be challenging and I'm asked at the start of the season, then it's usually "us" unless I think it might cause a bad reaction (not often imo). If we're not expected to be challenging and our opponents aren't expected to be challenging, then I'll just go with the favourites as that's *usually* a neutral position.

Thats interesting, picking on the next opposition. Shall give that a try :-)

I always refuse to answer this question until towards the end of the season.

If we're in it going into the business end of the season, then I always say my team. :D

"No comment" is always good. I do wonder if consistant "no comments" will protect against negative effects whilst also preventing positive ones. Its maybe like only comment if you are sure you are saying the right thing. I hope I am wrong and the process is more sophisticated than that.

A, only if your in the top 6 favourites, too much pressure on your team if you say it any other time

B, D, good choice if you dont pick a rival

C, dont even consider it!

E, you will just get laughed at

F, has no effect on the game, a safe bet if you dont want to risk an answer

Archived