Am I really that bad?

I've bought the FM series every year and before when it was part of the Championship Manager Series. On every single version of the game, I've been promoted at least once with a club and won some trophies.

On Football Manager 11, I've been at the top of the table once. I've never got into the play-offs or better and I've only ever won one trophy which was the English league cup.

I honestly don't know where I'm going wrong, my tactic work for a small amount of time then I can't buy a win. I've got a striker who scored 26 goals in the league last season and now has scored 3 up to November which is shocking.

My love for FM is slowly dwindling....

yawn, these threads are getting tedious now, can't you all moan in the same thread instead of starting new ones?

Let's talk about something else, eh? What dya say?

I know! Let's talk about quotes. do you have a favourite? I like to use quotes, they can be used in so many different ways. One of my favourites is this:

A bad workman always blames his tools

Do you know what that means? It means when the shelf falls down that the cowboy joiner just put up for you, he blames his drill, his screwdriver, the rawl plugs, etc...

I have another favourite quote too:

It's your tactics!

but clearly it's not...

(cos you said so)

Don't know exactly where you're going wrong - but there are a few things I may have learned about this game. The match engine loves pace (especially from strikers, and especially if combined with strength) - get really fast strikers - and speed all around. You should keep attacking - only the AI seems to successfully play defensively - if you're up 1-0, keep attacking! Get free transfers (especially in the Championship and lower leagues). Buy players in installments over 48 months - the investment will be worth it and you keep your transfer budget.

@Lazaru5 Since when have I said my tactics are excellent or what you seem to be implying? I said they work for a small amount of time which is true... I've never had this problem before with such erratic season on previous models of the game...

Nob :/

Don't know exactly where you're going wrong - but there are a few things I may have learned about this game. The match engine loves pace (especially from strikers, and especially if combined with strength) - get really fast strikers - and speed all around. You should keep attacking - only the AI seems to successfully play defensively - if you're up 1-0, keep attacking! Get free transfers (especially in the Championship and lower leagues). Buy players in installments over 48 months - the investment will be worth it and you keep your transfer budget.

I've got a pretty decent squad mate, my 1st 11 is...:

Alfonso De Lucia, Eric Lichaj, Shane Lowry, Alex Pearce, Joe Mattock, Anthony Pilikington, Aron Gunnarsson, Ryan Harley, Donal McDermott, Ched Evans and Shane Long

Long scored 26 goals in the league last season and has around 3 to date. Lowry and Pearce at the beginning of the season we're excellent now the striker seems to have an extra yard on them.

Everything I try seems not to work...

I've bought the FM series every year and before when it was part of the Championship Manager Series. On every single version of the game, I've been promoted at least once with a club and won some trophies.

On Football Manager 11, I've been at the top of the table once. I've never got into the play-offs or better and I've only ever won one trophy which was the English league cup.

I honestly don't know where I'm going wrong, my tactic work for a small amount of time then I can't buy a win. I've got a striker who scored 26 goals in the league last season and now has scored 3 up to November which is shocking.

My love for FM is slowly dwindling....

My advice is the same I give to everyone.

Go to the Main Tactical Forum, (not the downloadable tactics sub-forums) and read the most viewed posts there. Some are stickied, some need to be searched for a little harder. They will give you a plethora of new ideas on how to manage tactics, team talks, media, players etc. Over time, digesting them will improve your performances manyfold. In the short term, you'll have fun playing around with different ideas even if you don't immediately start winning.

Which is not true of course. Disagree with everything you wrote actually. It's easy to defend well in the game, or to shut up shop.

TBH mate , in real football you cant use the same tatics over and over, teams will no how your going to play, and as for your stiker, don't it come into it that they no how good he is from the season before, so there defenders will mark him more.....

but it's a good thing it's hard, whats the piont in playing a game if it's too easy?????

especially if combined with strength) - get really fast strikers - and speed all around. You should keep attacking - only the AI seems to successfully play defensively

That's true about the AI defending and the reason for that is, if you've analyze, the AI constantly changes its tactical instructions during the match. Attack to ultra defend etc.

Oh and it will automark players at any time and do it smartly so to not leave huge holes.

It does these things constantly during the match

Archived