Home v Away

I dont think it can make sense how you can win every home game 5-0 and lose every away game 5-0. It just doesnt happen. Playing away is only physiological really. The effects of playing at home or away must be too great.

Its obviously tactical but I dont believe that the only way to win away from home is to play a completly different style to what works at home.

If my tactics can win 5-0 at home, and away from home its still 11v11 it shouldnt result in a 5-0 defeat playing away.

Either I shouldnt be winning so easily at home or I shouldnt be losing so bad away from home. It doesnt seem balanced right.

So far this season 4 out of my first 6 games away I've lost by 4 or more goals. While 5 out of 7 home games I've won by 4 or more goals. That seems rediculous. Either its too easy to win at home for both teams (the comp included) or too hard to win away for both teams.

It was the same on FM09

It really is just down to your tactics. Have you tried anything to change your results ?

Yeah I know, I said in my second sentence it was tactical, but I dont see how a tactic that runs riot at home can fail so bad away. Like I said its still 11v11. It shouldnt be so night and day is what I'm saying.

I'm not a believer in having to play massivly differently away from home or adapting to the opposition, not if I'm totally dominating at home anyway.. I'm a believer that you play to your strengths and if the opposition wants to adapt to you then good for them.

11 v 11 becomes 12 v 11 when playing at home and 11 v 12 when playing away.

Your case is a bit extreme. So unless you post your team, the results, the tactics etc. then there' no way of disecting your problem. Or even just make your save game available.

11 v 11 becomes 12 v 11 when playing at home and 11 v 12 when playing away.

Your case is a bit extreme. So unless you post your team, the results, the tactics etc. then there' no way of disecting your problem. Or even just make your save game available.

My problem is its too easy to win at home or too hard to win away. No disecting nessesary. I'm still 3rd in the league and was expected to finish bottom so I'll just plod on. I just dont remember in history where a team wins by 4 or 5 every home game but goes away to get beat by the same score. That so called 12th man multiplier must be too high.

You just need to play either more aggresively or more defensive away from home.

It's a weird scenario.

No, what I'm trying to say is..

the game calculates your win or loss% before the game kicks off, taking into account, the players, morale, whatever other hidden attributes and then gives the home team a little boost to represent the fact you have home advantage. This little boost seems too high or this wouldnt happen, tactics or no tactics.

my home record is 8-4-2 and away is 8-3-2. I use the same tactic/formation so I don't see your point. I think the difference between home and away is not big enough. THe multiplier definitely doesn't seem as bad as in some previous versions.

Maybe it's to do with your pre game team talks being more suited to the home games than away.

my home record is 8-4-2 and away is 8-3-2. I use the same tactic/formation so I don't see your point. I think the difference between home and away is not big enough. THe multiplier definitely doesn't seem as bad as in some previous versions.

Maybe it's to do with your pre game team talks being more suited to the home games than away.

I was thinking it could be that. I usually go with 'we can win' at home and 'good luck' away from home. If it is caused by that then that means the team talk effects are too high.

At lower clubs I have to have different tactics for home and away games. That's how it is in reality. No team that is mediocre will be able to play attacking football away from home. This even happens in the prem. And playing too defensively is a disadvantage too.

Yes, it's definitely that. It couldn't be that you're not a very good manager, could it? Must be the games fault. :rolleyes::p

Winning by 4 goals every home game, 3rd in the league and expected to finish 24th?? Yeah, I'm terrible.

I was thinking it could be that. I usually go with 'we can win' at home and 'good luck' away from home. If it is caused by that then that means the team talk effects are too high.

(in my opinion) Good luck worked too well in fm 2010 so they nerfed it. Just like you're playing crap worked too well at half time. Anyway i digress....i would suggest varying it depending on the quality of your opposition

(in my opinion) Good luck worked too well in fm 2010 so they nerfed it. Just like you're playing crap worked too well at half time. Anyway i digress....i would suggest varying it depending on the quality of your opposition

I'm going to try 'for the fans' at home and 'we can win' away and see what effect that has. I hate that the result depends so much on pointless multi choice teamtalks these days.

Have you tried match prep for defensive positioning on away games? Ever since I use match prep before every game, my team has played a lot better away from home.

I left that to my assistant the first ever game I played and pretty much forgot it even existed. I might have a bit mess around with that after I try out the team talk thing.

In the real world, a recent analysis suggests that the home advantage is almost entirely due to referee's calls. Home teams get fewer fouls, yellow cards, and red cards called against them and the extra time is longer when home teams are behind and shorter when they are ahead.

In the real world, a recent analysis suggests that the home advantage is almost entirely due to referee's calls. Home teams get fewer fouls, yellow cards, and red cards called against them and the extra time is longer when home teams are behind and shorter when they are ahead.

Don't see why this wouldn't be the case in game. ALso should be impossible to get a pen vs Man u or concede one as carragher or get sent off as either carragher or gerrard. Game is supposed to be realistic after all.

This season so far

Home games - Played 8/won 6/drew 2/lost 0. Gls for 28 Gls against 8. = 3.5 - 1 score a game

Away games - Played 8/won 2/drew 0/lost 6. Gls for 10 Gls against 22. = 2.75 - 1.25 score a game.

In the cup I have had a similar thing knocking out higher leagued opposition in the cup with 4 goals, get an away tie and I may as well guve the reserves a run out. I will have a hell of a cup run if I was lucky enough to get all home games.

Winning by 4 goals every home game, 3rd in the league and expected to finish 24th?? Yeah, I'm terrible.

But you can't win away though? :confused:

This whole thing reminds me of Roy Hodgson at Fulham and Liverpool - couldn't buy a win away. Are you Roy in disguise? :p

It seems to me that you're blaming the game rather than trying to look at what you're doing wrong.

Time to re-evaluate those motivational skills, team talks and tactical strategies. :thup:

Well, I seem to have fixed my away form. Won my last 4. The sercet. Changed my tactics? No. Match preperation? No. Bought better players? No. I simply changed my team talk to 'we can win'. 'Good luck' what I used to use must have told the players to lose.

Thats how you become a great manager these days... Nothing beats a good team talk.. :rolleyes:

Here it is - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/183599-WoIfsong-s-Teamtalk-Guide-2010

That guide really helped me as team talks were one of my weaknesses on the game too. :thup:

Thanks, but I've been trying to figure the teamtalks out for myself and I though what I was doing was working as my assistant reports often showed a positive reaction and that morale couldnt be higher. Thats why I ruled out teamtalks in the first place.

I just dont think its right that my team couldnt win away and that the only thing I was doing wrong was teamtalks. Too much emphasis on teamtalks again, which has been trhis games downfall the past few years.

I prefer it being more to do with tactics and the players and not so much a feature that doesnt work properly.

Team talks are frustrating, I'll agree, and they are also in dire need of an overhaul in my opinion. But we have to deal with what we've got.

The thing is, you can't just apply the same talk to all away games, as you seem to be doing. It always needs to vary depending on the situation you find yourself in and so on and so forth. Indeed, one of the in-game hints is not to use the same team talks over and over again and to vary things.

My tip would be to try to analyse things in a realistic manner. Ask yourself, what do I expect to get from this game? How would I feel as a real life manager going into this game? Then apply whatever your answer is to your team talks and strategy.

I completly hated them like the first time they were introduced and stoped playing FM10 abrubtly because of them, as it was a joke on that one, I picked for the fans once, it angered the players for no apparent reason and morale hit rock bottom and everyone wanted to leave.

The year before that I was in the relegation zone, got some tips on here about teamtalks and the same team went on a massive run and qualified for the champions league. That killed that game for me. But this year it seemed to make a little more sense and I was keeping morale high with them. Its not any sort of fun that teamtalks is more important than players and tactics, but thats what its turned into since they got introduced. Its pretty much killed the series for me.

My way round the applying the same teamtalk thing was to use one for home and one for away. I dont really want to spend any more time than I have to on teamtalks.

Its not any sort of fun that teamtalks is more important than players and tactics, but thats what its turned into since they got introduced.

I don't think that's true personally. They are all important.

My way round the applying the same teamtalk thing was to use one for home and one for away. I dont really want to spend any more time than I have to on teamtalks.

Not every home game and every away game is the same.

You wouldn't use the same team talk for a game away to the bottom side as you would for a match away to the top side. For one, you might be saying 'expect a win!' for the other perhaps something more encouraging and supportive.

You need to apply common sense.

I was getting beat regulaly 4-0 away from home, the only thing I did differently was stop saying good luck and now I've won my last 6 away games and am top of the league. What does that tell you? That tells me teamtalks turn a hammering into a win while my tactics and players would lose when I did it wrong. Without the teamtalk I would lose so teamtalks are more important. Seems simple to me.

Not every home game and every away game is the same.

You wouldn't use the same team talk for a game away to the bottom side as you would for a match away to the top side. For one, you might be saying 'expect a win!' for the other perhaps something more encouraging and supportive.

You need to apply common sense.

exactly! your team-talk needs to be suitable for the opposition, occasion and venue as well as your pre-match build-up! I very rarely go into away games expecting to win them, I tend to try and take the pressure off my players as much as possible instead. The bigger the opponent, the less expectation I put on the players and it seems to work ok, in general, with some really good results (but equally some not so good).

If all of your pre-match comments and conversations downplay your chances (thus taking the pressure off the players) and then you "expect a win!" you probably won't get it... similarly, if all your build-up claims easy victory then "for the fans" or "you can win tonight" definitely won't cut it either.. individual team-talks need to also match the pre-match build-up, e.g. "your performance in the last match was unacceptable try and do better next time" should be followed with an "expect better!" or "expect a performance!" team-talk in a lot of cases IF they are still PR'd up (lasts about 4 days so to use this 'trick' have a private chat 3 or 4 days before the next match ;) )

Use the media and player interaction features to reduce the pressure on the players for away matches but remember that different players react differently to the same team-talks, media comments, etc... If you then match your team-talks to the interactions you should start winning more away from home.

I was getting beat regulaly 4-0 away from home, the only thing I did differently was stop saying good luck and now I've won my last 6 away games and am top of the league. What does that tell you? That tells me teamtalks turn a hammering into a win while my tactics and players would lose when I did it wrong. Without the teamtalk I would lose so teamtalks are more important. Seems simple to me.

I never use "Good Luck!" as a teamtalk... tried it once, got mauled, never again. (My ass-man in FM09 used it in an important semi-final though... we won comfortably :S)

I never go into any game with 'expect a win' on lower opposition because from my experience that usually tells the players to have 30 shots, 0 on target and get beat 1-0. While we can win would probably have been a 5-0 win.

The fact that we are even having this discussions goes to show the fact that teamtalks pretty much dictates your result.

I never go into any game with 'expect a win' on lower opposition because from my experience that usually tells the players to have 30 shots, 0 on target and get beat 1-0. While we can win would probably have been a 5-0 win.

The fact that we are even having this discussions goes to show the fact that teamtalks pretty much dictates your result.

as I said, it depends on your pre-match build-up and expectations. If the team-talk matches the build-up you will win more often than not (provided your team is good enough)

I use "Expect a win!" when complacency is starting to show, when we've been on a bit of a crappy run, or simply to remind the players who's boss - the build-up will almost always have been geared towards the team-talk anyway. Works for me :)

Archived