The Newgen Twins: an AI v Human manager experiment in talent development: Part 0

As anticipated in another thread, I think it would be interesting running a little experiment about newgens' development.

The idea is putting two identical players, created ad hoc, in two clubs of similar status, one under human control and one under AI management, and see how they develop.

However before embarking on such a task, there are a couple of variables I'd like to discuss with you so we can have a reasonable scenario and some not-so-random results when we're done.

The Newgens:

Role: Striker, because it's the "easiest" role to tutor, and it's not influenced too much by the formation... Say, a CM could develop in tons of different ways depending on how the manager plays. A striker is a striker...

Age: 17 so they can get a pro deal, but are still young enough to truly be "prospects". Or should we go for 18 anyway?

Skills: that'll largely depend on which nation/league we pick (more on that later), but I'll keep them relatively "meh", just like most of the game-generated players... One-two above average trait, but below average mental skills... No point in having them model professionals. Loyalty will be 20 to minimize the possibility of them leaving at the drop of an hat.

CA/PA: adjusted accordingly to the club/league they'll play, with a reasonably big difference (we don't want them to become world beaters and get signed by Bolton after 2 weeks...).

For a second-rate European league it'd be something in the region of CA70/PA130 give or take 10 points or so...

The Clubs

Ok, here's the thing... running such an experiment in a Top League isn't my favourite idea... First of all, playing a 60-games season just to prove/disprove the development patterns being broken isn't the most appealing idea on earth...

Also, Top Leagues mean higher CA/PA to keep the Newgens valuable, but also means plenty of interest from elsewhere... and more competition at the club.

So I think I'll go for a Scandinavian league, where a shorter season and the relative obscurity of clubs/players can provide a quieter environment for tutoring and such.

Eventually Belgium could work too (the Netherlands are already too fancy methinks)

I'll go for two top clubs, due to better facilities and coaches.

The Experiment

Quite easy: I'll manage the club with one Newgen and I'll follow the progress of the other twin at the rival club. Hopefully by the end of the first season we'll see how things worked for the two guys.

Ideas and suggestions will be much appreciated. ;)

Brilliant idea!

I should have thought of that... ;)

Isn't it going to affect his chances of playing though? I suppose AI managers don't practice petty tactics like "you're leaving so you're going to play Reserve league til the very last second you're here" don't they?

Brilliant idea!

I should have thought of that... ;)

Isn't it going to affect his chances of playing though? I suppose AI managers don't practice petty tactics like "you're leaving so you're going to play Reserve league til the very last second you're here" don't they?

No, they don't.

Archived