Do you ever leave a club due to lack of finance/ambition?

After getting promoted despite conceding 71 goals over the season and having a pretty weak team still managed a lucky play-off final victory. At the time my wage budget was 15k a week after promotion it was reduced to 11k a week with the expectation of mid table finish minimum. I have finished clear of relegation but with such a low wage budget I cannot renew the contracts of the two best players and I cannot sign any free players either. The club has a low reputation so cannot attract any decent players on loan, I feel I have gone as far as I can but I only have a regional reputation so I doubt I can move higher than League Two where I am now.

Do you ever leave a club in situations like this or do you carry on as manager, I think if I could get a team with a slightly better financial footing I could get promoted to league one. Not sure what to do so thought I would ask resign or battle it out and stay.

I carry on try get the club financially stable up the leagues the reward is far greater than moving to a club with money and expected to win.Im currently crystal palace who have little money slower building them up making around £100k-£150k per month with a decent squad and some very promising youngsters

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that its getting that way with my FC United save, managed to get them to League One and have had the chairman sell 7 players over the course of last season. During that time we were top of the league up until Jan and then they were sold and we slipped to 4th and lost in the playoff semi's to Ipswich. I'm about to start the next season and the squad I've got is pretty good, think I'll give it till Dec/Jan and see if any players are sold and what our league position is.

I'm always playing my careers in a way which I feel as realistic, i.e. as a journeyman in Crouchy's definition.

Doing that, I do not have the patience to spend x years at one club in order to develop it as long as clubs with better potential from a higher are after me. I thinks that counts as leaving due to lack of current financial or general potential.

What I don't do though is just leave a club. I only leave for another club, not for uncertainty.

I left Gillingham after the board's constant refusal to build a new stadium (it is impossible to expand Priestfield) despite the finances being available and them being established as a Premiership side. Without a decent sized stadium they were never going to get the income and reputation necessary to take them any further, so I left :)

Archived