AMD Morphological Anti-Aliasing and FM.

Thought I would bring this up on the forums to show the effects of the aforementioned with FM. For those who don't know with the HD 6000 series cards from AMD/ATI and the batch of drivers with it came Morphological Anti-Aliasing, the basic aim is to pick up some of the flack from the graphics card and to help smooth out edges. Anyway, with the MAA on the match engine looks that little bit smoother, of course its just merely blending the edges of textures to make them appear this way but it works aesthetically improving the game a few notches. The lines don't look quite so rigid around the edge of the box and its easy to be pedantic when its being stretched across a 28" monitor.

However, the problem comes more with normal menus, which hasn't been a problem in other games. It causes the text to go from its crisp clean normal self to this:

MAA_on.jpg

I basically thought I would flag the issue up because ultimately there is a chance MAA will become more standardised across the AMD franchise for one (it is available on the 5000 series if you change registry files) and FM's ingame and start screen menus suffer when other titles do not so it may be something for someone, somewhere down the line to take note of. It doesn't make a huge different but it does have a nice smoothening effect on a lot of games, and obviously its only a minor inconvenience for me to turn it off for FM because I know its there but some users won't be so lucky and may have had it turned on by another individual or something somewhere down the line.

Definitely something that should be looked into!

Good eye man!

This is exactly what the forum is for and I'm certain that the guys at SI will be very happy to have to noticed ahead of time so in a year or two when this is standard they don't get this forum flooded with "Why are my menus all... Blarg?!?!?!!!11!!!" and such threads.

I know its not for primarily text driven games, but menu systems from other games (albeit limited in comparison) don't suffer so there must be a way of distinguishing. AMD may abandon this feature due to them not liking it, or as another poster says it may become the standard. It's probably a year or so off before 6000 series cards become the standard in your circa £600 PC's but they will get there and if its activated by default, or inadvertantly by a user. It's easily turned off as I said in CCC, but its available to 5000 series users, and its much harder for them to turn off once they have activated it. Before upgrading in November I was on a 5750 and probably would have activated this by now, and it would have been a ballache to turn it off.

Archived